Author Topic: Will the Celtics again have too many mouths to feed?  (Read 4677 times)

Re: Will the Celtics again have too many mouths to feed?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm not worried. Since this team doesn't have many big men, they will probably play a lot of smaller quicker lineups. With smaller quicker lineups comes more running. I anticipate they will increase their tempo and create more opportunities for players to get up shots.

There will be better execution this year with the black cloud off of the team, and when you execute everyone eats better.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 07:52:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Morris/Rozier/Horford combined for roughly 30 shots a game. Those will be redistributed between Tatum/Hayward/Brown/Kanter.

Don't forget Carson Edwards or another backup point guard signing.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
i know Kanter came here to start, but what if he was allowed to be a super sub that came in to destroy 2nd units with Smart?  We start off with our still unsigned def big, then Kanter comes in and rains fire on the backups, getting lobs from Smart.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 07:57:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
I'm not worried. Since this team doesn't have many big men, they will probably play a lot of smaller quicker lineups. With smaller quicker lineups comes more running. I anticipate they will increase their tempo and create more opportunities for players to get up shots.

There will be better execution this year with the black cloud off of the team, and when you execute everyone eats better.

This will be the key.  If there is good execution, I think Kemba and Gordon, and probably even Jaylen and Jayson, will be OK with fewer shot attempts than they'd otherwise want and we won't have any problems.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Tatum is not an efficient offensive player. I doubt he gets that much better being the third or fourth option.

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 08:15:24 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'm cautiously optimistic that we're going to see a whole culture change by swapping Kyrie for Kemba. We'll miss Al a lot, but his "quiet" leadership also wasn't steering the ship.

Kemba / Smart / Brown / Tatum / Hayward / Kanter -- that's enough talent to run with anyone IF they love playing together. If Williams, Williams, Theis and the rest of the bench come to play, we'll be in the running.

He's hoping it's back to overachieving this year.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 08:16:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The way I look at it...

Our starting 5 changes from Kyrie / Brown / Tatum / Morris / Horford to Kemba / Brown / Tatum / Hayward / Kanter.  So lets see the change in fga for the PG, PF, and C positions.

Last season, those players averaged in fga/100:
Kyrie 27.0, Kemba 28.6
Morris 19.6, Hayward 16.4
Kanter 20.1, Horford 17.7

I think Kemba won't have a problem dipping down to 27.0 since he seems to want to not be relied upon so heavily.  Perhaps even less since it seems Kyrie's 27.0 is higher usage than CBS was drawing up for him.

But aside from that, it looks like there still could be a too many mouths to feed problem.  Unless CBS mixes up the lineups a lot to not have a first string and second string that way each of these players get mixed in with bench lineups where we currently have lower usage players.

One thing to note about Kanter’s shot attempt totals: last year almost 25% of his FGA were putback attempts on offensive rebounds — in other words, he creates a lot of shots for himself that don’t take away from others.  Meanwhile, Al only had about 5% of shot attempts come from putbacks.  When you factor that in, Kanter had fewer attempts that come out of the available shot attempts for others than Al, so his mouth is actually an easier one to feed, as he finds his own food a good deal of time.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
They just subtracted about 30-40 FGA and added 20-30.

I'm interested to see who's going to take the step forward to increase their aggressiveness offensively: Gordon, Jayson, and/or Jaylen. If they don't, Kemba and Kanter will.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I would be disappointed if Kemba averaged 25+ this year.

When a team actually likes and respects each other it makes a huge difference. They play selfless basketball and look for each other. Kemba isn't staring in movies or building a brand for "his" future. From what I've seen of him he's a really a bright, level headed good guy that wants to win. I'm looking for him to read the game and find the best opportunities for his teammates. To worry about getting "them" going, something Kyrie never understood. He needs to score when he's really feeling it or the team needs it.

I'd like to see him in the neighborhood of 21-22 ppg and 7.5 to 8 assists and a couple of steals per game. All-star neighborhood.

On the other hand, I'd like to see Tatum, Brown, and Hayward all around 16-18 ppg and all grabbing rebounds at the 7-8 mark.

Minutes shouldn't be a problem this year, the main cast should all get plenty. The team defense will be a very important story.   

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Morris/Rozier/Horford combined for roughly 30 shots a game. Those will be redistributed between Tatum/Hayward/Brown/Kanter.

Don't forget Carson Edwards or another backup point guard signing.

I don’t think Edwards will get much rotational minutes.  I could see Smart getting minutes alongside Walker and in the backup up PG role.  Remember Brown and Hayward only played 26 minutes per game last year so you bump that up at least 5 minutes each and that alone will increase their shot attempts.

I could see a little more of a condensed rotation among the wings/guards without Morris and Rozier this year.

Walker/Smart
Smart/Brown
Hayward/Tatum
Tatum/player x (Grant Williams?)
Center by committee

With this you have an 8 or 9 rotation, shorter than last year and it allows Tatum, Brown, and Hayward to get into a better rhythm with more minutes and more shots each.  Semi, the rooks, and the rest play spot minutes as needed until proven they are worthy of more minutes.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I wouldnt worry about that for these reasons...

-Kemba doesn't need to dominate the ball much as Kyrie

-A black hole (Morris) and a chucker (Rozier) are gone

-We don't need to worry about rookies - they'll get only what they earn

Historically, isn’t Kemba more ball dominant than Kyrie?

Agreed on the other 2 points though.

My biggest concern is Brown wanting his max contract and playing like it.

Kemba had to be in Charlotte. Otherwise that team would have been historically bad

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 08:38:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not this time

I predict, this team will actual be a team next season vs collective of individuals playing

Walker won't freak out at Hayward or Tatum for taking the last shot.  Won't make snid comments at the coach etc.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:43:45 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 08:42:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wouldnt worry about that for these reasons...

-Kemba doesn't need to dominate the ball much as Kyrie

-A black hole (Morris) and a chucker (Rozier) are gone

-We don't need to worry about rookies - they'll get only what they earn

Historically, isn’t Kemba more ball dominant than Kyrie?

Agreed on the other 2 points though.

My biggest concern is Brown wanting his max contract and playing like it.

Kemba played with the same group of guys pretty much for many many years....and did they even make the playoffs?  I think he got really tired of being mediocre

last season he needed to take all those shots... just to give the Hornets a fighting chance to make 8th place (just short)

next season with the Celtics, he won't have to do all the heavy lifting.  Plus like I already mentioned, he makes quick decisions on the court and is a terror in transition.   He can still be an effective player, playing off the ball unlike....

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 12:52:10 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

YESSS!! I really have a feeling 1 of Smart, Brown, or Hayward are up next. Those are players who need starter minutes for proper development. Brad can’t keep hot swapping out guys (starting one game but not the next) and think players are ok with that. 

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 01:16:20 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
The way I look at it...

Our starting 5 changes from Kyrie / Brown / Tatum / Morris / Horford to Kemba / Brown / Tatum / Hayward / Kanter.  So lets see the change in fga for the PG, PF, and C positions.

Last season, those players averaged in fga/100:
Kyrie 27.0, Kemba 28.6
Morris 19.6, Hayward 16.4
Kanter 20.1, Horford 17.7

I think Kemba won't have a problem dipping down to 27.0 since he seems to want to not be relied upon so heavily.  Perhaps even less since it seems Kyrie's 27.0 is higher usage than CBS was drawing up for him.

But aside from that, it looks like there still could be a too many mouths to feed problem.  Unless CBS mixes up the lineups a lot to not have a first string and second string that way each of these players get mixed in with bench lineups where we currently have lower usage players.

One thing to note about Kanter’s shot attempt totals: last year almost 25% of his FGA were putback attempts on offensive rebounds — in other words, he creates a lot of shots for himself that don’t take away from others.  Meanwhile, Al only had about 5% of shot attempts come from putbacks.  When you factor that in, Kanter had fewer attempts that come out of the available shot attempts for others than Al, so his mouth is actually an easier one to feed, as he finds his own food a good deal of time.

Very nice point, TP!