Author Topic: Celtics Roster Rotation (7/1)  (Read 18287 times)

Re: Celtics Roster Rotation (7/1)
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Very thin roster. Some moves have to be coming...
Agree..bench is awful
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I guarantee that Danny will be working the phones throughout the summer.  We might be waiting until August for any further moves.  Rookies cannot officially be traded until 30 days after signing their contracts.  Trade options will be extremely limited until then.

« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I guarantee that Danny will be working the phones throughout the summer.  We might be waiting until August for any further moves.  Rookies cannot officially be traded until 30 days after signing their contracts.  Trade options will be extremely limited until then.

I would expect Ainge to wait till the point in rhe seasons when those signed in the offseason can be trades.  Try to pick off a talent that didn't play up to the new teams expectations and the team is impatient.

« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think this roster is one filled with opportunity.  For young starters like Brown and Tatum, it’s an opportunity to expand your role.  For young players like the Williams, Langford, and Edwards, there is an opportunity to break into the rotation early in your career.  For Eurovets like Theis and Poirier, there is an opportunity to establish yourself as an NBA player — to some extent, that opportunity is there for Wanamaker too.  For a sometimes overlooked star like Kemba Walker, there is an opportunity to elevate your status among the elites in the game.

I think that’s the type of teams Stevens has the best success with.  Whether it was Jae Crowding showing himself to be a legit NBA player, Evan Turner re-establishing his career, or IT seizing the opportunity to show that he could be a top player in the NBA, those teams had opportunities for players to be their best selves.  We saw that two seasons ago where the young guys all needed to step up when everyone went down with injuries, and they did.

Last year was a season without those opportunities. Rozier and Brown were given less opportunity to grow with Irving and Hayward returning.  Tatum was no longer a primary option on offense many nights, and didn’t have the opportunity to show his stardom.  Without that possibility of opportunity, I think Stevens struggled to motivate his players on a nightly basis.  And we saw the results.

That’s not to say everyone will run with their opportunity — James Young and Jared Sullinger never did, for example.  But some will, and I think that growth will be exciting for the players, the team, and the fans, and we will have a regular season and a postseason that exceeds expectations because of that growth.  I like the uncertainty in rotation heading into the summer — we are better for it.

« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I guess I don't see this roster as that thin. Wanamaker and Semi showed they can handle the 3rd PG and 4th wing roles well enough. Theis has shown he's a rotation big man as well.

My biggest concern remains the big man rotation Williams/Williams/Poirier need to give us minutes and haven't shown it yet in the NBA. (I don't believe in Yabu as a NBA player)

« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2019, 10:44:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I like our guards and wings. I think our bigs will perform by committee until, through competition, a rotation will emerge. No idea who that will be. Don’t dismiss Yabusele, especially against smaller lineups.

« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think this roster is one filled with opportunity.  For young starters like Brown and Tatum, it’s an opportunity to expand your role.  For young players like the Williams, Langford, and Edwards, there is an opportunity to break into the rotation early in your career.  For Eurovets like Theis and Poirier, there is an opportunity to establish yourself as an NBA player — to some extent, that opportunity is there for Wanamaker too.  For a sometimes overlooked star like Kemba Walker, there is an opportunity to elevate your status among the elites in the game.

I think that’s the type of teams Stevens has the best success with.  Whether it was Jae Crowding showing himself to be a legit NBA player, Evan Turner re-establishing his career, or IT seizing the opportunity to show that he could be a top player in the NBA, those teams had opportunities for players to be their best selves.  We saw that two seasons ago where the young guys all needed to step up when everyone went down with injuries, and they did.

Last year was a season without those opportunities. Rozier and Brown were given less opportunity to grow with Irving and Hayward returning.  Tatum was no longer a primary option on offense many nights, and didn’t have the opportunity to show his stardom.  Without that possibility of opportunity, I think Stevens struggled to motivate his players on a nightly basis.  And we saw the results.

That’s not to say everyone will run with their opportunity — James Young and Jared Sullinger never did, for example.  But some will, and I think that growth will be exciting for the players, the team, and the fans, and we will have a regular season and a postseason that exceeds expectations because of that growth.  I like the uncertainty in rotation heading into the summer — we are better for it.
I agree about the opportunity. In terms of the bench I expect everyone to get an opportunity and the best bench players will be part of the rotation.

I don't expect the current roster to be the roster to end next year. Whoever doesn't seize the opportunity will be replaced at the deadline.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I guess I don't see this roster as that thin. Wanamaker and Semi showed they can handle the 3rd PG and 4th wing roles well enough. Theis has shown he's a rotation big man as well.

My biggest concern remains the big man rotation Williams/Williams/Poirier need to give us minutes and haven't shown it yet in the NBA. (I don't believe in Yabu as a NBA player)

I believe in Rob as a 20 mins a game player this season.

« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I believe in Rob as a 20 mins a game player this season.
He should be at least 15. I'm hopeful both Williams get that much actually.

« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Agree..bench is awful

It's not like Hayward, Tatum , Brown, Walker will all be sitting at once (or not for very long)

At least one and probably that 2 will be on the floor at all times

I also expect Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards to make an impact right off the bat.  These are not your raw, underdeveloped rookies.

« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah I think the team has solid 3-deep depth at positions 1-3.  Not concerned there.

They now have plenty of bigs, and I think pretty much all of the guys they have -- with the exception of Yabu, who I agree, does not look like an NBA player -- can be expected to play 10-15 minutes a night.

With the exception of Kanter, none of the bigs has a track record at the NBA level of being able to consistently contribute for 20+ minutes a night.

I think it's going to be frontcourt by committee this season unless / until Danny makes a trade for a guy who can be more of a long term answer at the 5.

I'm not sure that "frontcourt by committee" is so bad, though.  A lot of teams have had success that way, especially recently.  The Warriors got by just fine with half a dozen different C/F guys playing 15-20 minutes a night.

I think you need to have productive big men, but you don't necessarily need to have an elite big man.

That said, I still don't know how the Celtics are going to defend without Horford.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2019, 10:59:08 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

I would expect Ainge to wait till the point in rhe seasons when those signed in the offseason can be trades.  Try to pick off a talent that didn't play up to the new teams expectations and the team is impatient.

Not sure how long it will take before Danny and Brad know what they have in this roster.  Many things can go either way.  Unfortunately, the hoped outcomes are mostly more possible than probable.  Consider all the youth who could surprise: Langford, G.Williams, R.Williams, Poirier, Edwards.  The young vets (Brown and Tatum) could take a leap to near all-star level, and Gordon could return to pre-injury form. Kemba and Kanter could thrive here.   

Of all the possibilities, I'd say the most likely is that Kemba will shine.   Decent chance that either Jayson or Jaylen will improve to near all-star level, and GH should improve -- but despite recent reports, his ceiling is a mystery. 

I suppose every team has their possibilities.  Do the C's have more undetermined variables in 2019-20 than other decent (3-6 seed) NBA teams?  I think so, but I'm not sure.  Sadly, I think there are many more teams I'd trade rosters with now compared to how many I'd have traded with a year ago (I guess that would be stating the obvious).

« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2019, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I agree about the opportunity. In terms of the bench I expect everyone to get an opportunity and the best bench players will be part of the rotation.

I don't expect the current roster to be the roster to end next year. Whoever doesn't seize the opportunity will be replaced at the deadline.

I wouldn’t expect much movement at the deadline.  Most of our players have another year left on their deals.  I expect Yabu to be waived/traded for a vet if we need one.  Potentially the same thing with Wanamaker.  But multi-year deals are traditionally difficult to move at the deadline, and are rarely waived, so I don’t expect much.

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I wouldn’t expect much movement at the deadline.  Most of our players have another year left on their deals.  I expect Yabu to be waived/traded for a vet if we need one.  Potentially the same thing with Wanamaker.  But multi-year deals are traditionally difficult to move at the deadline, and are rarely waived, so I don’t expect much.
Frankly I don’t see a role for Yabu on this team.  I would rather Grant Williams or Vince Poirier get those minutes.

« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Frankly I don’t see a role for Yabu on this team.  I would rather Grant Williams or Vince Poirier get those minutes.

I want to see if Yabu has improved his 3 pt shooting

If not,  we got ourselves a pretty good cheerleader off the bench