Author Topic: Celtics Roster Rotation (7/1)  (Read 18110 times)

Re: Celtics Roster Rotation (7/1)
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Rank most/least likely in this season of possibilities:

Kemba will shine as a playmaker/scorer/leader
Jay T will rise to borderline all-star status
Jay B will rise to borderline all-star status
GH will return to pre-injury form
One of the rookies (include Poirier) will surprise as a solid, reliable rotation player (20 mpg)
Enes will average (or close to) a double-double
One of Theis, Yabu or Semi will establish themselves as a solid rotation player — significantly raising their trade value
CBS will be a candidate for COY.
Danny will trade for a key piece at the deadline
None of the above

« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

One of the rookies (include Poirier) will surprise as a solid, reliable rotation player (20 mpg)
One of Theis, Yabu or Semi will establish themselves as a solid rotation player — significantly raising their trade value
None of the above

yes to all except

And I have a good feeling about Gwill, Edwards and Poirier

can't see a big trade happening .... unless Wolves make KAT available

« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think this roster is one filled with opportunity.  For young starters like Brown and Tatum, it’s an opportunity to expand your role.  For young players like the Williams, Langford, and Edwards, there is an opportunity to break into the rotation early in your career.  For Eurovets like Theis and Poirier, there is an opportunity to establish yourself as an NBA player — to some extent, that opportunity is there for Wanamaker too.  For a sometimes overlooked star like Kemba Walker, there is an opportunity to elevate your status among the elites in the game.

I think that’s the type of teams Stevens has the best success with.  Whether it was Jae Crowding showing himself to be a legit NBA player, Evan Turner re-establishing his career, or IT seizing the opportunity to show that he could be a top player in the NBA, those teams had opportunities for players to be their best selves.  We saw that two seasons ago where the young guys all needed to step up when everyone went down with injuries, and they did.

Last year was a season without those opportunities. Rozier and Brown were given less opportunity to grow with Irving and Hayward returning.  Tatum was no longer a primary option on offense many nights, and didn’t have the opportunity to show his stardom.  Without that possibility of opportunity, I think Stevens struggled to motivate his players on a nightly basis.  And we saw the results.

That’s not to say everyone will run with their opportunity — James Young and Jared Sullinger never did, for example.  But some will, and I think that growth will be exciting for the players, the team, and the fans, and we will have a regular season and a postseason that exceeds expectations because of that growth.  I like the uncertainty in rotation heading into the summer — we are better for it.

I agree with all of this, and I just want to add that I think not having Morris and Rozier around is going to do wonders for Brown, Tatum, and a rejuvenated Hayward not fighting over shots and minutes.  Even Smart might have another level to go to who knows, and I could see Smart getting several back up PG minutes as well this year.

I could see the minutes broken down to something like this:

PG Walker 32, Smart 16
SG Brown 32, Smart 16
SF Hayward 32, Tatum 16
PF Tatum 16, rest of bigs 32
C rest of bigs 48

Pretty clean for Walker, Smart, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum 32 minutes each.  There should be no complaints there with minutes.  During a long season there will be injuries and foul trouble for other guys to get opportunities in those positions.  If you really wanted to go small more often with more minutes for Tatum at PF some games that could open up minutes for others too.

For the remaining 80 minutes for PF/C you have a lot of flexibility if you want to go small, big, more offense, more defense, more outside shooting, more post play between several guys Poirier, Kanter, Theis, Grant and Robert Williams, Yabu(not giving up on him just yet), and Semi. 

I’m excited to see how this shakes out, and we’ll have a lot of moveable parts if Ainge wants to make changes later on.

I like it a lot and I think the chemistry will be much better.

« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I think this roster is one filled with opportunity.  For young starters like Brown and Tatum, it’s an opportunity to expand your role.  For young players like the Williams, Langford, and Edwards, there is an opportunity to break into the rotation early in your career.  For Eurovets like Theis and Poirier, there is an opportunity to establish yourself as an NBA player — to some extent, that opportunity is there for Wanamaker too.  For a sometimes overlooked star like Kemba Walker, there is an opportunity to elevate your status among the elites in the game.

I think that’s the type of teams Stevens has the best success with.  Whether it was Jae Crowding showing himself to be a legit NBA player, Evan Turner re-establishing his career, or IT seizing the opportunity to show that he could be a top player in the NBA, those teams had opportunities for players to be their best selves.  We saw that two seasons ago where the young guys all needed to step up when everyone went down with injuries, and they did.

Last year was a season without those opportunities. Rozier and Brown were given less opportunity to grow with Irving and Hayward returning.  Tatum was no longer a primary option on offense many nights, and didn’t have the opportunity to show his stardom.  Without that possibility of opportunity, I think Stevens struggled to motivate his players on a nightly basis.  And we saw the results.

That’s not to say everyone will run with their opportunity — James Young and Jared Sullinger never did, for example.  But some will, and I think that growth will be exciting for the players, the team, and the fans, and we will have a regular season and a postseason that exceeds expectations because of that growth.  I like the uncertainty in rotation heading into the summer — we are better for it.

I agree with all of this, and I just want to add that I think not having Morris and Rozier around is going to do wonders for Brown, Tatum, and a rejuvenated Hayward not fighting over shots and minutes.  Even Smart might have another level to go to who knows, and I could see Smart getting several back up PG minutes as well this year.

I could see the minutes broken down to something like this:

PG Walker 32, Smart 16
SG Brown 32, Smart 16
SF Hayward 32, Tatum 16
PF Tatum 16, rest of bigs 32
C rest of bigs 48

Pretty clean for Walker, Smart, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum 32 minutes each.  There should be no complaints there with minutes.  During a long season there will be injuries and foul trouble for other guys to get opportunities in those positions.  If you really wanted to go small more often with more minutes for Tatum at PF some games that could open up minutes for others too.

For the remaining 80 minutes for PF/C you have a lot of flexibility if you want to go small, big, more offense, more defense, more outside shooting, more post play between several guys Poirier, Kanter, Theis, Grant and Robert Williams, Yabu(not giving up on him just yet), and Semi. 

I’m excited to see how this shakes out, and we’ll have a lot of moveable parts if Ainge wants to make changes later on.

I like it a lot and I think the chemistry will be much better.

I would add that Kemba has an opportunity to show what kind of PG/leader he is with good - possibly very good - players around him. Kemba can prove himself as Dame Lillard East. And Kemba can establish the kind of relationship with Brad that Kyrie never did, nor IT.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2019, 06:41:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Well, with this likely being it for the summer, I'm psyched for the season to start.

Not crazy about Tatum at the 4 because he's really a 3, but let's see how it goes.

PG-Kemba/Smart/Edwards/Wannamaker
SG-Brown/Langford
SF-Hayward/G. Williams/Ojeleye
PF-Tatum/Theis
C-Kanter/R.Williams

Let's get after it, get into the season and make some noise in the playoffs!!

Also, maybe Danny makes a move at the trade deadline.

PS...still think Ainge should make a move for Boogie to give us some toughness, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Well, with this likely being it for the summer, I'm psyched for the season to start.

Not crazy about Tatum at the 4 because he's really a 3, but let's see how it goes.

SG-Brown/Langford
PF-Tatum/Theis
C-Kanter/R.Williams

PS...still think Ainge should make a move for Boogie to give us some toughness, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

GWilliams at SF? ummm don't think so

« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
There's been some talk that Miami would take back Wall's contract as part of a Beal trade.  This trade works:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5sqebw5

If you were the Cs would you consider this?  Beal is the best player in the trade and Wall could come back and be somewhat effective. We would be taking the chance that Hayward doesn't return to all-star level.

« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There's been some talk that Miami would take back Wall's contract as part of a Beal trade.  This trade works:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5sqebw5

If you were the Cs would you consider this?  Beal is the best player in the trade and Wall could come back and be somewhat effective. We would be taking the chance that Hayward doesn't return to all-star level.

That trade doesn’t work, actually.  ESPN hasn’t updated the trade machine, but Wall’s salary is now over $38 million.  Quite simply, getting Bradley Beal isn’t worth Wall’s contract. 

« Reply #203 on: July 03, 2019, 08:10:10 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

SG-Brown/Langford
PF-Tatum/Theis
C-Kanter/R.Williams

We need to add some vets to the bench... outside of that I do like this team. They should be entertaining.

« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

SG-Brown/Langford
PF-Tatum/Theis
C-Kanter/R.Williams

You left off Vincent Poirier as Kanter's back up. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I cant believe Yabu is still on roster..but i really be shock if he still on it in November
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I cant believe Yabu is still on roster..but i really be shock if he still on it in November

I would be surprised if he’s on in March, but his salary is good for matching some salaries that will he traded in February, so expect to see him until then unless Tacko Fall looks so good they can’t risk cutting him.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:15:38 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2019, 12:35:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

None of the above

LIKELY
- Kemba will shine
- Kanter will average (or close) to a double double
- GH will return to pre injury form
- one of the rookies will be a reliable rotation player

LESS LIKELY
- JT will become a borderline all star
- CBS as COY
- DA trading for a piece

UNLIKELY
- JB will become a borderline all star
- Theis/Yabu/Semi raising their trade value

- LilRip

« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2019, 02:52:21 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
PG: Walker/Wannamaker/Edwards
SG: Brown/Smart
SF: Tatum/Ojeleye/Langford
PF: Hayward/G.Williams/Theis
C:   Williams/Kanter/Porier

I know Kanter is the better player, but I definitely like the fit of Timelord better in that lineup with a small PF, with Kemba, Brown, Tatum and Hayward we have more than enough scorers on the floor. Kanter is most effective when he is heavily involved in the offense imo, which he would be as the sixth man.

If Williams is not ready, maybe Porier is.
I just think a defense first player fits our starting lineup better.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd