Author Topic: Once I got the OK from LeBron, when he signed off on it...  (Read 2373 times)

Re: Once I got the OK from LeBron, when he signed off on it...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’d be shocked if Kawhi didn’t sign with Lakers.

I’m wondering what contract term he would negotiate. A 1/1, or something longer term?

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Another poster may a good point that if the Lakers were his team growing up that probably will have a big impact on his decision. However, I'm hoping three things happen here:

1. He doesn't do the easy thing, the Kevin Durant thing, and join the juggernaut team that already has LeBron and Davis, the LeBron James show - that's the easy choice.

2. Hope he rather chooses the Clippers. Harell, Beverly, Doc Rivers and the rest of that gritty team. You add Kawahi to that team and they can beat a LeBron, Davis team. He becomes the guy who beat LeBron in Miami, beat the Warriors in Toronto and then beats the super team Lakers in LA, way better for his legacy. He wins titles with three different franchises as largely the lead dog, or one of them.

3. Perhaps most importantly, because Kawhi seems like a decent guy and he's a great, great player. Have the smarts to invest with and to trust Jerry West to build a championship team around you - quickly, and consistently, over investing with LeBron James. Be the guy who keeps beating LeBron, not the one who joins him.   

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Obviously, this is projection on my part but I just don't see why he'd want to jump to a situation where he's clearly going to take a backseat to Lebron and also be thrown into the middle of a relative media circus revolving around the Lakers.

For lack of a better term, he's a god right now in Toronto.  He's the man.  He's already brought them a championship so that adulation will continue.  If he wants to go back to the states and have "his team", the Clippers are the choice. 

Maybe he likes to be more in the background.   I don't know.  It's just his stock has never been higher.  To me, it seems like going the Lakers would be a step backwards.

Then again, its Kawhi.   Like Kyrie, nothing he does would necessarily surprise me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Love living in a day and age when the nba allows lebron James and clutch to tamper but anyone else gets blamed for the same thing ::)

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’d be shocked if Kawhi didn’t sign with Lakers.

I’m wondering what contract term he would negotiate. A 1/1, or something longer term?

I think he’ll be a 2+1 wherever he ends up, allowing him to sign for the 10+ max in 2 seasons.

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Obviously, this is projection on my part but I just don't see why he'd want to jump to a situation where he's clearly going to take a backseat to Lebron and also be thrown into the middle of a relative media circus revolving around the Lakers.

For lack of a better term, he's a god right now in Toronto.  He's the man.  He's already brought them a championship so that adulation will continue.  If he wants to go back to the states and have "his team", the Clippers are the choice. 

Maybe he likes to be more in the background.   I don't know.  It's just his stock has never been higher.  To me, it seems like going the Lakers would be a step backwards.

Then again, its Kawhi.   Like Kyrie, nothing he does would necessarily surprise me.

He's a basketball God that would be worshipped no matter who he played for.

Toronto would be super low on my places to live in my late 20s early 30s. LA would be pretty high and I'm an East coast kid.

I don't care where he goes as long as it's out of the east.
ok fine

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's a basketball God that would be worshipped no matter who he played for.

Toronto would be super low on my places to live in my late 20s early 30s. LA would be pretty high and I'm an East coast kid.

I don't care where he goes as long as it's out of the east.
I get that Kawhi doesn't really operate like a normal NBA star, but if I were him I wouldn't put my legacy through that. So many would lose lots of respect and try to downplay many of his achievements, like what has happened with KD. I don't think Kawhi is as thin-skinned as KD though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I could also see him wanting a running mate to contend with through his prime, Davis fits that bill.

I didn't think we'd see almost everything shake out already, so it feels weird to complain Kawhi is taking his time.

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
You can't be a player/coach, player/GM, player/president anymore. CBA made it illegal to have the dual role.
Why maintain the charade?

Players can talk to players without it being tampering.  If a player was the coach or GM, then it would be tampering.  I think what is going to need to change is rules to limit what players under contract to different teams can discuss.  A player under contract with Team A should not be able to talk to a player under contract with Team B about going to Team C together.  Teams are paying these players big money and they should be expected to act in the best interest of the team.  Even if they are recruiting for their current team, that should be tampering if they are recruiting a player that is under contract.  I know this is going to be very difficult to police but it is where they need to focus if they are going to change any rules.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Maybe Lebron and the whole entourage are orchestrating a trade of himself to the Nets.

So they are pitching Kawhi on playing with AD in LA, dynamic duo, with some very good Nets pieces around them....

That's my contribution to the BS rumors of today (as opposed to just rumors).

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
From a basketball standpoint, he knows LeBron is one of the most ball dominant players in the NBA, and Davis will remain a high usage player.

Kawhi has been the primary ball handler, decision maker and scorer whenever the pressure was on. Does he really want to downshift into a Ray Allen type complimentary sniper role? Why would he do that? Does he want to wait 2-3 seasons before becoming the man again?