Author Topic: Noah Vonleh?  (Read 6967 times)

Re: Noah Vonleh?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 10:36:38 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Vonleh is the type of player I'd like to see Danny target - one who will be relatively inexpensive with a high potential ceiling. And they sure as heck need help up front.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 11:05:07 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Yes, please! 8)

Always liked Vonleh. He's coming off a very promising season in NY (posted career numbers in points, rebs, assists, blocks and steals).

Wouldn't mind him off the bench
Wouldn't mind him as a starter either. Only problem is, we already have an undersized starter at the PF position. Not sure whether it would work on the defensive side of the ball. But then again, CBS loves his small-ball lineups. I mean, it's not like Horford is the prototypical Center in terms of size.

Horford
Height w/o Shoes 6' 8''
Height w/ Shoes 6' 9.75''
Weight 246.0
Wingspan 7' 0.75''
Standing Reach 8' 11''    
Body Fat 9.10%
Hand Length (not available)
Hand Width (not available)

Vonleh
Height w/o Shoes 6' 8''
Height w/ Shoes 6' 9.5''    
Weight 247.1
Wingspan 7' 4.25'' (longest in the 2014 draft)
Standing Reach 9' 0''
Body Fat 7.30%    
Hand Length 9.75 (again, longest in his class)
Hand Width 11.75 (second biggest number ever measured at the combine)

If anything, Vonleh is a bit bigger/longer.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:11:41 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 11:06:24 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
I remember all the debate between Vonleh, Smart, and Randle during their draft. I was high on Vonleh, but I’m still glad we took Smart.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 11:12:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think our bench front court is set with THE WILLIAMS. We need a starting frontcourt, actually a real starting center, as I feel Hayward will play quality minutes at PF. So, I don't think Vonleh makes sense for us. Rather see the Williams get the bench minutes

Robert Williams at this moment is a "specialty" role player off the bench

he can guard Anthony Davis type bodies on a "pinch".  Because they have similar body types

But in general, Robert Williams can't shoot 3s, nor can be relied upon to handle the ball or pass the ball unless its like 5 ft away

you could try to incorp him for the PnR

but CBS system does not cater to this type of basketball unless it is for just a few plays

If Williams can develop a reliable jump shot and add some mass....

well then you basically get Vonleh

We will have to see how much Robert Williams has progressed in SL play

Local kids Noel and Vonleh
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Obviously we are going to need bigs with the loss of Baynes, Horford, most likely Theis, and Morris. It appears as of now we might only have the room exception of about 5 mil and minimum contracts unless we do a S&T for Walker to preserve the mid level exception about 10 mil and bi annual exception around 3.

I decided to look into further what these 2 local kids Noel and Vonleh both free agents have done this past year.

First with Noel he was once thought of a future player of the year candidate.   I don’t know if Philly just screwed it up and didn’t develop him properly, but after a promising first couple years he kind of went backwards.  I know he had some off court issues too.  Things didn’t work out in Dallas as well, but he was also injured a lot and only played 30 games his last year there.  Last year at OKC he only played 14 MPG per game behind Adams, but if you dig deeper his per 36 stats were 12.9 points, 11.1 rebounds, 3.3 blocks, and 2.3 steals while shooting 58.7 from the field.  What really stands out with those per 36 stats is Noel is 3rd in the league in blocks, and number 1
in steals!   That really jumped out to me.  I read he said in his exit interview he vowed to come back a monster next year.   Maybe at just turning 25 he is maturing and ready to break out?

Noah Vonleh is a former lottery pick turning 24 later this summer.  Whenever I saw him play he seemed pretty solid to me. Someone who plays the 4, but also the 5 in certain lineups.  Last season was probably his best year.  Through December he was shooting over 40% from 3 before coming back down to earth.   What really stands out though he was top 30 in the league in defensive rebound rate, and we could use all the rebounding help we can get. Maybe he will start coming into his own as a stretch 4/5 who is a really good rebounder. 

2 local kids that Danny could possibly take a chance on that could come cheap?  Even if we went this route I’d still like to have at least 1 more reliable big like a Robin Lopez type.

Thoughts?

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
In light of the latest news about Kembra, I thought I would push this thread back up.

We will have no cap space left.

Vonleh just completed his 5th season in the NBA.  He made a marked improvement with the Knicks last year, playing both the 4 and small ball 5.

But get this: Noah Vonleh is longer than Al Horford.  They are measured the same height with shoes (6' 9 1/2" at NBA Combine), while Vonleh has a much bigger wing span than Al (7'4.5" vs 7'1") and standing reach (9' vs. 8'11"), not to mention humongous mittens (11.75" width!!).

He developed a good 3 point shot last season, something he had in college, but got away from. Look, if this guy can develop the way he has for the Knicks. I could very much see him being inserted as a starter at the center spot for us and really helping us there.  I think his trajectory is in the right direction. He can play inside and outside stretch. He can play and defend both the 4 and 5 positions. I really think this is the guy Danny should target after he signs Kembra.  He hopefully will be available with the min exception. Not sure what his market value would be.

Re: Local kids Noel and Vonleh
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 05:48:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I wrote a thread on Vonleh a couple of days ago.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I wrote a thread on Vonleh a couple of days ago.

Sorry, I missed it.  So many threads going on. Ha mods feel free to merge.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
This is youtube highlights of his game vs. Celtics last November:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLz-YT1HcF8

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 06:01:08 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I’d take a flyer on Noel. He’s had quite the fall from #1 pick candidate to today, but the ability is still there if someone can keep him healthy and hustling.

Get someone to convince him that a 2 year “show me” contract could make him very rich and a hometown hero again.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 06:08:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Highlights of a couple of games vs. Bucks, where he blocks Greek Freak's shots several times. 

https://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2018/12/27/noah-vonleh-game-highlights-knicks-bucks

https://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2018/12/25/noah-vonleh-game-highlights-knicks-bucks

I much prefer Vonleh to Noel. Much better offensive player, play making big, and can shoot 3's confidently. Noel is awful on offense.  On defense they are a wash.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Remember watching Vonleh against the Cs last year; he seemed to play a hardnosed game. Real pest around the rim. So that’s good, tho he’s still a pretty limited player.

If we do add Kemba and Danny can’t find a brilliant way to add cap space or work a sign and trade, he may be about the best we can get at the 5. One reason I’m a little queasy about getting Kemba. It’s great to have a stacked backcourt but our frontcourt might be a smoking hole.

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 06:18:45 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Highlights of a couple of games vs. Bucks, where he blocks Greek Freak's shots several times. 

https://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2018/12/27/noah-vonleh-game-highlights-knicks-bucks

https://www.nba.com/knicks/video/teams/knicks/2018/12/25/noah-vonleh-game-highlights-knicks-bucks

I much prefer Vonleh to Noel. Much better offensive player, play making big, and can shoot 3's confidently. Noel is awful on offense.  On defense they are a wash.

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind a flyer on Vonleh either, but the defensive numbers don't look like a wash to me. Noel is among the league leaders in steal and block rates, as well a defensive +/- consistently every year of his career so far. It's true that he can't shoot a lick, but he's at least good around the rim.

Based on that, I'd give a clear defensive edge to Noel. Offensively, they are both bad. Noel is good around the rim and useless everywhere else. Vonleh is just mediocre everywhere - a "better" shooter with below average percentages from everywhere.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 06:24:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind a flyer on Vonleh either, but the defensive numbers don't look like a wash to me. Noel is among the league leaders in steal and block rates, as well a defensive +/- consistently every year of his career so far. It's true that he can't shoot a lick, but he's at least good around the rim.

Based on that, I'd give a clear defensive edge to Noel. Offensively, they are both bad. Noel is good around the rim and useless everywhere else. Vonleh is just mediocre everywhere - a "better" shooter with below average percentages from everywhere.

Yeah, I just don't see what Noel brings to the table that we won't be getting from Robert Williams.  Vonleh can play two positions where we lack depth.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Among other things, really going to miss Horford's outside shooting.