Author Topic: Noah Vonleh?  (Read 7006 times)

Noah Vonleh?
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:40:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Could he be in play for us as a decent 4/5 big off the bench?

Local kid. Works out in Celtics team facility during off-season.

Has improved each year, and seems to finally be finding his footing in the NBA.  He's not really starter material, but think he could help solidify our bench. His game is quite versatile. And we could probably get him on the cheap.

Is an UFA last played with the Knicks. Has started to develop 3 point range (right now in low 30's %, but trending upward (shot .485 from deep in college), and is a decent rebounder.   I really think he is very switchable at the 4/5 position, which is really good, at 6'9" with 7'4" wingspan.

Watching him play a few times last season, he really seems to finally be figuring it out in the League. 

He's only 23.

I stole this idea from A. Sherod Blakely. I think it is to be thought about.

Re: Noah Vonleh?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:42:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
He would be a good grab at the right price. He'd give you some solid minutes.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
but he would not solve the central problem of who starts as a big man for the celtics.

if we want someone to come off the bench, i would prefer the timelord to be that person. this is his second year, i hope CBS puts in games with real minutes. we will see then if he is an nba player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Vonleh looked good the couple of times I saw him last year. I didn't watch many knicks games but I remember seeing a game or two where I thought he looked much better. That 18-20 foot jumper looked really good.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
How about Henson from Cleveland? He started shooting threes last season - very small sample size of 14 games and 14 min per game but his 3P - .355 - league average. Also he grabbed 12-13 rebounds per 36 min. I think he can be had for yabu.... or just trade exception..... we can just assume his $10M expiring contract into cap space ...

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 11:12:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
but he would not solve the central problem of who starts as a big man for the celtics.

if we want someone to come off the bench, i would prefer the timelord to be that person. this is his second year, i hope CBS puts in games with real minutes. we will see then if he is an nba player.

TL much rawer than Vonleh, especially on the offensive end.  Needs more seasoning.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 11:18:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Has improved each year, and seems to finally be finding his footing in the NBA.  He's not really starter material, but think he could help solidify our bench. His game is quite versatile. And we could probably get him on the cheap.

Is an UFA last played with the Knicks. Has started to develop 3 point range (right now in low 30's %, but trending upward (shot .485 from deep in college), and is a decent rebounder.   I really think he is very switchable at the 4/5 position, which is really good, at 6'9" with 7'4" wingspan.

Watching him play a few times last season, he really seems to finally be figuring it out in the League. 

He's only 23.

Sherrod has been wrong on everything I've ever seen. So if it was his idea, it probably won't happen.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 12:00:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

He's only 23.

Sherrod has been wrong on everything I've ever seen. So if it was his idea, it probably won't happen.
That’s all you got?

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 12:03:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's solid. I'd prefer him as a bench big more than anything, but he's a pretty good rebounder and was a fair passer at New York. He's still 23 and has shown a slight ability to hit 3's.

Wouldn't mind him off the bench
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 12:38:37 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
There are a few names bouncing around - Vonleh, WCS, Bryant, etc...they all seem to have some upside and some flaws. The way I look at it the question for Ainge is, which one has the best chance of outperforming a mid-range contract, thereby becoming an asset?

Any of them should be a big upgrade over Williams for next year...betting that RW will be ready for meaningful minutes seems risky, and even if he is, he probably won't play more than 15-20 mpg.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 08:32:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I agree with Footey and Liam

If the team is on a plan for a mini rebuild/retool

what is the point of signing Vucevic or trading for Capela??

Vonleh if he plans to explore FA market....  I feel like his ears would perk up, if Celts were interested and offered a decent deal

something like 3 years at 15-18 million range (total)

Look at the clip below and how he plays/blocks Giannis.  This plus potential ability to slow down/throw a body at Leonard would be intriguing

Vonleh block on Giannis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4CR0EtJuQM

Vonleh stands tall vs Bucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0BNvy6jp8

Vonleh also can shoot the 3 and defend multiple positions.  You can tell he really works hard at the gym. Chiselled

He hasn't played for a good team or a good coach yet.  He shows flashes but under a good system/coach....maybe can put it together.   

Could come off the bench or start

scenerios

1.  Stars along with Hayward Tatum Brown Smart
2.  Come off the bench with Grant Williams.   You got a nice potential length plus smarts frontcourt duo

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

Vonleh if he plans to explore FA market....  I feel like his ears would perk up, if Celts were interested and offered a decent deal

Look at the clip below and how he plays/blocks Giannis.  This plus potential ability to slow down/throw a body at Leonard would be intriguing

Vonleh block on Giannis

Vonleh also can shoot the 3 and defend multiple positions.  You can tell he really works hard at the gym. Chiselled

He hasn't played for a good team or a good coach yet.  He shows flashes but under a good system/coach....maybe can put it together.   

scenerios

2.  Come off the bench with Grant Williams.   You got a nice potential length plus smarts frontcourt duo

The thing is, Capela makes like another 70M in the next four years in his deal, and if he's traded it's likely more to help their cap room as a bit of a salary dump (so it would cost a bit, but definitely wouldn't cost an extravagant amount in a trade). That's pretty much the same as what you're suggesting with Vonleh (3+ years, 15-18M AAV), and Capela is pretty young too.

I do agree on Vuc. Like him, but not at the money he will command (near max to max).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Vonleh block on Giannis

scenerios

The thing is, Capela makes like another 70M in the next four years in his deal, and if he's traded it's likely more to help their cap room as a bit of a salary dump (so it would cost a bit, but definitely wouldn't cost an extravagant amount in a trade). That's pretty much the same as what you're suggesting with Vonleh (3+ years, 15-18M AAV), and Capela is pretty young too.

I do agree on Vuc. Like him, but not at the money he will command (near max to max).

Yes but gain Capela at what cost? (Trade)

Also Capela cant shoot

At least Vonleh can make 3s

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

Vonleh block on Giannis

scenerios

Yes but gain Capela at what cost? (Trade)

Also Capela cant shoot

At least Vonleh can make 3s

I personally don't want Capela anyways (would rather we sign Russell and then add 2 decent centers like Lopez/Dedmon/Ed Davis, etc.). Vonleh is an intriguing option too as you say. It's just this part you say...

Usually in a rebuild/retool you bring on young players who flash potential and talent and have room to grow. Vuc is 29, but the others who have been rumored are all pretty young themselves (under 25). It's not like we're hampering a "rebuild" if we did add someone like Adams/Capela/Russell.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I think our bench front court is set with THE WILLIAMS. We need a starting frontcourt, actually a real starting center, as I feel Hayward will play quality minutes at PF. So, I don't think Vonleh makes sense for us. Rather see the Williams get the bench minutes
Brazilian Celtic Fan!