Author Topic: Heat (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) ECF Game #2 9/17/20  (Read 63855 times)

Re: Heat (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) ECF Game #2 9/17/20
« Reply #1095 on: September 17, 2020, 10:25:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Tatum has become a prima donna.  Stevens is scared to put him in his place.

The Heat played so much harder than the Celtics in the 2nd half. Really feel that the difference in effort was why they won. Along we terrible rotation decisions by Stevens.
I do think it's fair to ask whether Stevens is the coach to get them over the hump. Tatum may need someone to push him to get him to the next level.  Is Brad the guy to do that?

Of course if you go the other way and bring in someone of the 'aggressive' variety, you run the risk of making Tatum want to go elsewhere - such is today's player-centric NBA.

I don't know what the answer is.  I think the first two ECFs that Brad got us to was a lot of playing to the absolute potential of the team.  This year feels different.  Hopefully it is just growing pains for the young guys, but we haven't seen enough adjustments from Brad in this series.  Brad can't get us to run decent plays to react to the zone (or maybe we are just screwing the plays up so badly?  not sure)  Brad hasn't been able to find the right group of guys to defend the 3.  (again maybe it is on the players and Miami is just undefendable from 3?  I doubt it though)

This series is the first time I have wondered about Brad moving forward as well.  I think we need to let the series play out before we make a bunch of judgements about it.  If we come back and win two more games does that change how we feel about Brad?  Probably.

We only have five guys and once and a while one of the bench guys does a little something. A scorer off the bench is needed. We needed energy in this one....

but the bench wasn't the difference tonight.  Heat 16 points from the bench, Celtics 16 points from the bench.  Tonight's game was lost when we turned the ball over 19 times.  That is on Tatum, Smart and Kemba almost solely.  I am not sure how much blame to give Brad for that?  I think he as been great overall, but lets see how this series ends. 

I mean it is all talk anyways, DA isn't firing Brad Stevens.  No way no how.

« Reply #1096 on: September 17, 2020, 10:25:51 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Just posting the pressers that are happening right now

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1306779112544104449
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1097 on: September 17, 2020, 10:25:58 PM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60

The Heat played so much harder than the Celtics in the 2nd half. Really feel that the difference in effort was why they won. Along we terrible rotation decisions by Stevens.
I do think it's fair to ask whether Stevens is the coach to get them over the hump. Tatum may need someone to push him to get him to the next level.  Is Brad the guy to do that?

Of course if you go the other way and bring in someone of the 'aggressive' variety, you run the risk of making Tatum want to go elsewhere - such is life in today's player-centric NBA.

I'm doubting Tatum can be best player on a championship team.  I have more respect right now for Jimmy Butler. He rises to the occasion.  Tatum has wilted.  His defense is frankly overrated in this series too.  Butler just blows by him.  Jimmy Butler, one of the more slow footed swings in the NBA.

Jimmy is also 31 and has years of experience doing his own prima donna thing.

Tatum has been awesome at points during these playoffs. Should they lose, this is a learning point for him. It's amazing that people are so willing to throw in the towel on 3rd year player who's an All-Star and All-NBA talent.

When Jimmy was 22 (the same as Tatum) he was just finishing up his rookie season on Bulls, averaging 2.6 points a game. The next year, at 23, Jimmy averaged 8.6.

I think we can slow down on the Tatum hate.

« Reply #1098 on: September 17, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Just posting the pressers that are happening right now

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1306779112544104449

Someone should invite Kyrie Irving into the locker room. He can be the punching bag for everyone. Except Tatum- because he loves his boy Irving.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1099 on: September 17, 2020, 10:28:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Does anyone know why TIMELORD didn't play in this one?

On to game 3.
Timelord doesn’t deserve to play in conference finals. He’s. It good enough at this point

Right? Gotta love the people asking aboit freaking timelord after a loss like this...who cares

Timelord is better than Kanter, not playing him is a mistake. Its   not the only reason why the c's lost, but it is one. Here are some others:

-Turnovers, 13 from Tatum, Kemba, Smart, 20 from the team.
-Tatum only taking 2 threes
-Celtics forgetting how to pass for long stretches.
-Brown getting 0 third quarter shots, again. Teamates missing him wide open multiple times.
-Marcus smart's  4th quarter shot selection.
-Inability to defend pick and roll in the 3rd (partially Kanters fault).
-Dragic/Olynyk hitting two absolutely bananas threes.

« Reply #1100 on: September 17, 2020, 10:28:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This Miami team has PAT RILEY stamps all over it.... and Pat Riley teams are TOUGH!!!

Exactly

Marcus Smart toughness is not enough

KG, Perk, Rondo were really tough. Especially KG look made the opponents scared

You look at this Cs team and other than Smart no one puts fear in your mind. Smart will take your lunch and have you clean up after him.

True

Heat have Butler, Crowde, Adebayo... really tough guys

Vs Celts. Smart

Brad Stevens ... looks like the nicest dude I have seen

Toughness wins championships. Unless a team is unfairly assembled like gsw 2-3 years ago

« Reply #1101 on: September 17, 2020, 10:30:02 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
AS USUAL....this game was LOST with 2 minutes to go in the 2nd....17 point lead...and the C's RELAX and walk the ball up the court---to waste 4 straight possessions...instead of keeping the lead there or trying to push it over 20---they let Miami off the hook and it's a very manageable 13 point game for the Heat.

Dissssssgusting....BAD coaching.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #1102 on: September 17, 2020, 10:30:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I do not blame Smart for going crazy on the team. He saw what we saw. The team giving up. The terrible body language. Butler out hustling Brown on the inbound pass. uncontested offensive rebounds for the Heat. The man gives up his body for the team and he is UNDERPAID. He should be p---ed. If they lose Smart they get Swept.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:39:23 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #1103 on: September 17, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Of course if you go the other way and bring in someone of the 'aggressive' variety, you run the risk of making Tatum want to go elsewhere - such is life in today's player-centric NBA.

I'm doubting Tatum can be best player on a championship team.  I have more respect right now for Jimmy Butler. He rises to the occasion.  Tatum has wilted.  His defense is frankly overrated in this series too.  Butler just blows by him.  Jimmy Butler, one of the more slow footed swings in the NBA.

Tatum has been awesome at points during these playoffs. Should they lose, this is a learning point for him. It's amazing that people are so willing to throw in the towel on 3rd year player who's an All-Star and All-NBA talent.

When Jimmy was 22 (the same as Tatum) he was just finishing up his rookie season on Bulls, averaging 2.6 points a game. The next year, at 23, Jimmy averaged 8.6.

I must admit some of the hot takes after crushing losses are pretty funny  :angel:

« Reply #1104 on: September 17, 2020, 10:30:48 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Brad again showing he has no clue on challenges. He doesn’t challenge the Tatum offensive foul on a Tatum made bucket that could’ve been and and one. 3 point swing. Instead he challenges and out of bounds call. 🤬
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:41:44 PM by libermaniac »

« Reply #1105 on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I do not blame Smart for going crazy on the team. He saw what we saw. The team giving up. The terrible body language. Butler out hustling Brown on the inbound pass. uncontested offensive rebounds for the Heat. The man give up his body for the team and he is UNDERPAID. He should be p---ed. If they lose Smart they get Swept.

Ogaju I suspect that's exactly what the yelling was about...we know that it's one thing to miss shots and make mistakes but as long as you're hustling and working your butts off, well sometimes the other team is just better. But giving up and going through the motions and letting Buckets come up with a two or three hustle plays in the last 5 mins is pretty unforgivable as a professional sportsperson.

« Reply #1106 on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:29 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Brad again showing he has no clue on challenges. He doesn’t challenge the Tatum offensive foul on a MDR bucket that could’ve been and and one. 3 point swing. Instead he challenges and out of bounds call. 🤬

I think he had just been interviewed and was mad when he made the challenge

« Reply #1107 on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This Miami team has PAT RILEY stamps all over it.... and Pat Riley teams are TOUGH!!!

Exactly

Marcus Smart toughness is not enough

KG, Perk, Rondo were really tough. Especially KG look made the opponents scared

You look at this Cs team and other than Smart no one puts fear in your mind. Smart will take your lunch and have you clean up after him.

True

Heat have Butler, Crowde, Adebayo... really tough guys

Vs Celts. Smart

Brad Stevens ... looks like the nicest dude I have seen

Toughness wins championships. Unless a team is unfairly assembled like gsw 2-3 years ago

You dont think GSW was tough? Try going against Draymond, West, they had a lot of tough dudes dont let the three point shots fool you.

« Reply #1108 on: September 17, 2020, 10:34:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

We do have slow down on that. What bugs me though is that he doesn't move the ball enough - as we saw tonight - which leads to inopportune turnovers and at times can cause the offense to totally break down.  I do think that having Hayward on the court mitigates that to a degree - but it's also something that this team has to work out.  Especially he and Jaylen. They really are 1 and 1A but at times it looks like they're 1 and 2 when Tatum dominates the ball too much and Jaylen doesn't see it enough.

« Reply #1109 on: September 17, 2020, 10:37:33 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

To be fair, Butler was the 30th pick in his draft not the 3rd.  Tatum obviously isn't Bird but I'd say he compares positively to Pierce at age 22.