Author Topic: Pacers (30-25) at Celtics (40-16) Game #57 2/9/18  (Read 17724 times)

Re: Pacers (30-25) at Celtics (40-16) Game #57 2/9/18
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
More “Brad-pologism” after last night’s game, I see. It’s becoming so commonplace around here that it probably deserves its own Wiki entry:

“Brad-pologism - an irrational defense mechanism of Celtics fans to protect their fabled coach from any sort of criticism, regardless of those critiques’ merit. This behavior usually occurs within the subsequent 24 hours of Celtics losses that Stevens’ decision-making is called into question, specifically surrounding rotation decisions and timeout and offensive set calling.”

It’s comments like these that make me rarely visit game threads, and I regret peeking into this one.

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
More “Brad-pologism” after last night’s game, I see. It’s becoming so commonplace around here that it probably deserves its own Wiki entry:

“Brad-pologism - an irrational defense mechanism of Celtics fans to protect their fabled coach from any sort of criticism, regardless of those critiques’ merit. This behavior usually occurs within the subsequent 24 hours of Celtics losses that Stevens’ decision-making is called into question, specifically surrounding rotation decisions and timeout and offensive set calling.”

It’s comments like these that make me rarely visit game threads, and I regret peeking into this one.

Coming from the person who just quipped about having "a double oven" to criticize a comment that you disagreed with, I'll take that as a compliment. Typical type of hypocrisy demonstrated by many on here.  ::)

So, yeah, I agree. If you're triggered simply by a dissenting opinion, perhaps it is best for you to stay off of the game threads.

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Brad's a good coach defensively, but he's flat out an awful offensive coach. He simply can't allow Morris and Rozier to keep jacking up shots no matter how many they miss while Jaylen and Jayson stand and watch. Simply unacceptable. I'm beginning to believe he's peaked.

I understand the frustration but calling Brad an awful offensive coach is a blanket statement that is simply inaccurate.  How do you think the Warriors would look running Brad's system???

Brad is a fine offensive coach who maximizes the talents of the players on our team.  The honest truth is that we don't have any "professional" scorers aside from Kyrie.  Tatum and Brown should eventually get there but they are still very reliant upon the structure and flow of our offense.  Marcus Morris can create his own offense but he is extremely streaky.  Horford can take advantage of mismatches but he's never been a scorer by nature. 

Who on our roster can consistently create their own offense on a nightly basis regardless of the opponent?  Who is the sharpshooter than can move without the ball and drill contested shots?

We have a lot of talent on this team but Kyrie doesn't have enough help when things break down in the offense. 

Another important factor to consider is that we don't sacrifice defense for offense like many other teams.  Currently the Warriors and Raptors are the ONLY NBA team that rank in the top 10 for both offensive and defensive ratings.

This is a good point. Celtics play very hard on D but are very lazy on offense. Fewest points in the paint in the L. Never go inside or attack the basket. It's a very 3-centric offense, swing the ball and jack a 3. Might be worth sliding a little on D to get better offensively.

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ball movement by Indiana and Toronto much better than by the Celtics. This team is too in love with puck and role plays. Very predictable offense.

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston offense often stands around and chucks 3s. Need to play as a team

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Coming from the person who just quipped about having "a double oven" to criticize a comment that you disagreed with, I'll take that as a compliment. Typical type of hypocrisy demonstrated by many on here.  ::)

So, yeah, I agree. If you're triggered simply by a dissenting opinion, perhaps it is best for you to stay off of the game threads.

It's a hot take. That's all it is. There are plenty of other possible explanations for their performance last night.

Brad takes some blame, but your hot take is a gross exaggeration. They were on the second night of a back-to-back. Their offense is simplistic, but that's so that the young guys can learn to make the right reads.

Last year, the Celtics were a top 5 offensive team by most metrics. Our defense was awful. This year, it's flipped. The offense definitely needs work, but that's what the regular season is. Saying Stevens is not a good offensive coach because we shot almost 30% from the field in the first half doesn't really capture the causation behind the problems.

And the Pacers are good team -- let's not discredit them.

I think CBS is a top 3 coach in the NBA. Does that mean he is perfect? No. Does he carry some fault for a poor team performance? Yes. Should you make generalizations about a player or coach based on the second half of a back-to-back in February? No.