Author Topic: Hayward or Kemba: more trade value  (Read 3652 times)

Hayward or Kemba: more trade value
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:13:28 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I feel like Kemba has more simply because he is under contract for longer. But if they're contractual obligations were the same, I think probably Hayward.

All of the "oh Kemba is so happy and smiling in Boston" blahblah is kinda nauseating. He's 30 years old with a nice girlfriend, 30 million dollars per year to live on, and insanely well priced supporting cast who are doing most of the heavy lifting... just saying.

Discuss.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Hayward or Kemba: more trade value
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 03:46:52 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
You could argue that if Kemba wasn’t there these playoffs they’d be box and one’ing and trapping JT to keep the ball out of his hands. He’s clearly not shooting well but the opposing coaches have decided he’s the guy they want rubbed out of the game. Jared Weiss has a good article on how Nurse and now Spoelstra are doing that. The team needs to do a better job adjusting to it by taking advantage of the attention he is getting. Unfortunately we’re not the greatest perimeter shooting team so we struggle against zones without good passers who can attack the seams of the zone.

But to answer your question Kemba has more trade value IMO.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:50:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Kemba. Hayward's positive defensive value has mostly evaporated and his defensive edge isn't quite enough to make up for his deficiencies on the other end of the court compared to Kemba.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 03:52:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Kemba. Hayward's positive defensive value has mostly evaporated and his defensive edge isn't quite enough to make up for his deficiencies on the other end of the court compared to Kemba.

That's interesting.. I hadn't really noticed any change in his defense. Never been a great defender though, I'll grant you that.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 04:52:27 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Imo, Kemba is a luxury, not a necessity. We already got a perfect replacement for him in Smart.

Smart has thrived in a starting role during the playoffs. He can do a million things on the court. Unfortunately, he ain't a scorer (although he has improved considerably as a shooter). It seems to me that he needs talented scorers around him in order to maximize his potential. To put it another way, he should be a regular starter.

If Smart is better suited as a starter, then Kemba is expendable. Personally speaking, I'd be open to trading Kemba. That being said, I don't expect us to trade him.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:24:27 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 05:28:18 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't get the nauseated part.  It's not Kemba's fault he's a great guy.  He got his reputation not with fake smiles but with treating everyone in the Hornet's entire organization with great respect, from the janitors to security.  Don't let the media representation sour you on the true Kemba, who is the anti Kyrie in the respect he gives to others.

He's struggling.  He knows it. 

Trade value question...I'm guessing Kemba has more at this point, who knows.  You know, the playoffs are when some guys get shut down.  Harden has experienced being completely shut down.  In baseball, great hitters get shut down.  It happens.  It's part of playoff intensity basketball.  But part of Kemba's slump is just his 3 point shooting at this point.

I'd rather watch Kemba evolve through this than trade him off at the first sign of struggle...regardless of how the rest of the season turns out.  Next step for Kemba is to add another speed to game...
he needs to add a slower gear for certain situations while keeping his fast gear handy.

Go Team!!

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:35:36 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
We need Kemba, or someone like Kemba, he's the player that we have advantage over other contenders, especially in the east conference. All the other great PGs are in the west. Other teams have to adjust game plans to stop Kemba, which gives other players opportunities. You can only get rid of Kemba if you have a top point forward or point centre, I don't think either Tatum or Brown can get there.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 05:42:35 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
You can only get rid of Kemba if you have a top point forward or point centre, I don't think either Tatum or Brown can get there.
Hayward is one of the best point forwards around the league.

Tatum has come a long way as a passer. If you ask me, he has all the tools to become a terrific point forward.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:48:15 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 05:49:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kemba. 4 All-Star seasons in a row, including being All-NBA in 18-19, and prior to this year had been very durable year after year.

It definitely depends on the team though. Obviously a team looking to shed salary would be more interested in the massive expiring of Hayward
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 05:56:05 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Kemba. 4 All-Star seasons in a row, including being All-NBA in 18-19, and prior to this year had been very durable year after year.

It definitely depends on the team though. Obviously a team looking to shed salary would be more interested in the massive expiring of Hayward
Why would we trade with a team looking to shed salary though? I mean, Tatum's max kicks in next offseason. If anything, we are the ones who might be looking to shed some salary.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 05:56:46 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
You could argue that if Kemba wasn’t there these playoffs they’d be box and one’ing and trapping JT to keep the ball out of his hands. He’s clearly not shooting well but the opposing coaches have decided he’s the guy they want rubbed out of the game. Jared Weiss has a good article on how Nurse and now Spoelstra are doing that. The team needs to do a better job adjusting to it by taking advantage of the attention he is getting. Unfortunately we’re not the greatest perimeter shooting team so we struggle against zones without good passers who can attack the seams of the zone.

But to answer your question Kemba has more trade value IMO.

All is said. TP.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 06:07:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Why would we trade with a team looking to shed salary though? I mean, Tatum's max kicks in next offseason. If anything, we are the ones who might be looking to shed some salary.
Don't get me wrong, I agree, I just think that a team trying to get rid of a bloated long-term contract is the only one who would find Hayward a more attractive trade prospect.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Imo, Kemba is a luxury, not a necessity. We already got a perfect replacement for him in Smart.

Smart has thrived in a starting role during the playoffs. He can do a million things on the court. Unfortunately, he ain't a scorer (although he has improved considerably as a shooter). It seems to me that he needs talented scorers around him in order to maximize his potential. To put it another way, he should be a regular starter.

If Smart is better suited as a starter, then Kemba is expendable. Personally speaking, I'd be open to trading Kemba. That being said, I don't expect us to trade him.

I have to disagree with you about Smart. Don't get me wrong, I love his hustle and am fine with him starting. As long as he understands he's there for defense and should shot when he has a GOOD shot.

While he started hot in game one, he also killed them in the middle of the first. The Celtics were playing great, moving the ball, playing with great intensity, then 4 times in a row Smart took it upon himself the try to force plays. Bad 3's and turnovers that changes the whole course of the game.
Too many times he just attacks the lane with no rhyme or reason and ends up taking an awful shot. Then after he hit a 3, the next play down was a 3 on none. 2 Celtics were wide open under the basket, and he takes another 3. Misses badly and Heat get ball back.

Again, I love a lot of what he brings to the team, but I would never want him to be running it. Unfortunately, for a guy named Smart, he doesn't play why too often.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 08:21:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
That's interesting.. I hadn't really noticed any change in his defense. Never been a great defender though, I'll grant you that.
He was quicker in his Utah days - it gave him the ability to cover skilled wings well and defend guards in a pinch. But yeah he was never a great defender.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

I have to disagree with you about Smart. Don't get me wrong, I love his hustle and am fine with him starting. As long as he understands he's there for defense and should shot when he has a GOOD shot.

While he started hot in game one, he also killed them in the middle of the first. The Celtics were playing great, moving the ball, playing with great intensity, then 4 times in a row Smart took it upon himself the try to force plays. Bad 3's and turnovers that changes the whole course of the game.
Too many times he just attacks the lane with no rhyme or reason and ends up taking an awful shot. Then after he hit a 3, the next play down was a 3 on none. 2 Celtics were wide open under the basket, and he takes another 3. Misses badly and Heat get ball back.

Again, I love a lot of what he brings to the team, but I would never want him to be running it. Unfortunately, for a guy named Smart, he doesn't play why too often.
Here's my point though: If he's taking bad shots while playing next to Tatum, Brown and Kemba, imagine how many bad shots he'd be taking when playing next to Ojeleye, Grant and Romeo.

At the end of the day, Smart is a polarizing player. His shot selection is an ongoing issue, but he's our best defender, plus he's a very good passer. Imo, he has outplayed Kemba in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:47:36 AM by Jvalin »