Author Topic: Should Danny trade Terry Rozier?  (Read 2407 times)

Re: Should Danny trade Terry Rozier?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It looks like Rozier need starter minutes and ball possessions to be successful.

Bingo. TP

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Of course not.  First, the need for injury insurance is being significantly understated - Irving is averaging ~60 games/season, limps into the playoffs, missed the 2015 Finals and 2018 Playoffs, and is unwilling to play through discomfort. 

Second, Rozier averaged 17 pts, 5 rebs, 6 asts, 1 steal in the 2018 playoffs with 48/35/83 splits and elite perimeter defense.  This at 24 years old with a $3m salary this season. 

He has also had less 10 games to adjust from starting PG on a near-Finals team. Every one needs to chill out.  We'll be in the Finals this year, Rozier will be instrumental in key wins (like last season), and Brown will come around. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:38:39 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Of course not.  First, the need for injury insurance is being significantly understated - Irving is averaging ~60 games/season, limps into the playoffs, missed the 2015 Finals and 2018 Playoffs, and is unwilling to play through discomfort. 

Second, Rozier averaged 17 pts, 5 rebs, 6 asts, 1 steal in the 2018 playoffs with 48/35/83 splits and elite perimeter defense.  This at 24 years old with a $3m salary this season. 

He has also had less 10 games to adjust from starting PG on a near-Finals team. Every one needs to chill out.  We'll be in the Finals this year, Rozier will be instrumental in key wins (like last season), and Brown will come around.

This.

It is way too early to be making panic trades. That's what crappy organizations do.

It's ten games into the season, let's let things play out a little bit before we start trading people for peanuts.

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
For a center, YESSSSSS
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Other gms have to have seen his play this year, that trade value is dropping daily.

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm all for picking up a backup center for depth, but we would need another ball handler to take Rozier's place.  I'd rather wait to see if Williams can contribute later this season and if Rozier can play his needed role.  There's no need to act now.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rozier didn't start fast last year either but by April and May, he was terrific. It's only ten games. I think we need to keep Rozier and get him to find his role in this offense. If he stops forcing things and starts hitting his threes, he is a weapon we will need in the playoffs. Gotta take a wait and see approach. This team is still trying to get. Need patience.

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Rozier didn't start fast last year either but by April and May, he was terrific. It's only ten games. I think we need to keep Rozier and get him to find his role in this offense. If he stops forcing things and starts hitting his threes, he is a weapon we will need in the playoffs. Gotta take a wait and see approach. This team is still trying to get. Need patience.

That's certainly true, but the roles will be different, and we may not get the same results. Rozier did not do great at the end of the year by becoming a classic point who broke the defense and distributed. He pushed the pace, and if nothing was there, he moved the ball and shared the work with Horford, Tatum and Brown, which was good for them too.

Now, when he's in he's trying to carry the offense and he's often playing with a couple of guys that aren't offensive threats. The spacing collapses and it gets harder for his skill set. He may figure it out. I just know that roles matter for most players. Stevens has always been a genius at letting his players do what they do best, but when there are this many good players all needing minutes, that becomes much more difficult. I really don't think playing him and Smart together will ever be a great idea.

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'd like to see us get a true point guard that can run a team, and get people in the right spots on the floor. Then at times put Kyrie at the 2 guard spot. I liked Shane Larkin last year for just that reason.

I'd like to say let Smart have a shot at the job, but his shot selection is too strange to even consider it.

You're not getting a whole lot for Rozier alone when you consider trading him for a center.

I'm not seeing this year's version of Scary Terry being "instrumental" in key playoff wins, not so far at least. Certainly not while auditioning for a starting job for his coming free agency...while coming off the bench that is. Unless you're praying something happens to Kyrie.