Author Topic: If you were Gronk, what would you do?  (Read 7170 times)

If you were Gronk, what would you do?
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I personally think that he is using wrestling/Hollywood as leverage, as he should. Despite his injury history, he is the best TE in the game. He should be paid like one (same for Brady, but that's an entirely different story). I know that Gronk's family has been involved in the reporting of injuries. If I were his dad, I would tell him to milk every last dime out of the Patriots, or walk. The hits that he takes are likely to negatively affect his life after football.

If you were Gronk, would you come back as is, or would you threaten to head to Hollywood until paid a salary commensurate with his talent?

I personally would try to get as much $, and I'd still consider walking, regardless of money. It cannot be fun to consistently put yourself out as a defenseless target for some safety/linebacker to potentially injure you.

Re: If you were Gronk, what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I personally think that he is using wrestling/Hollywood as leverage, as he should. Despite his injury history, he is the best TE in the game. He should be paid like one (same for Brady, but that's an entirely different story). I know that Gronk's family has been involved in the reporting of injuries. If I were his dad, I would tell him to milk every last dime out of the Patriots, or walk. The hits that he takes are likely to negatively affect his life after football.

If you were Gronk, would you come back as is, or would you threaten to head to Hollywood until paid a salary commensurate with his talent?

I personally would try to get as much $, and I'd still consider walking, regardless of money. It cannot be fun to consistently put yourself out as a defenseless target for some safety/linebacker to potentially injure you.

Agree with your thoughts.  Think that it is primarily a plot to get some more coin, but also given his injury history, he could want to hang the cleats up sooner than later.  These circumstances give him some pretty solid negotiating leverage.  The random incentives the Patriots added into his contract prior to last season make a ton more sense now upon hearing all of these stories the last few weeks. 

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It depends on how big the salary gap is, how much money he has saved, etc.

He’s got back problems and now brain trauma.  If he can afford to do so, I’d say walk.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:52:04 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
It depends on how big the salary gap is, how much money he has saved, etc.

He’s got back problems and now brain trauma.  If he can afford to do so, I’d walk.

There have been rumors that Gronk has been prudent with his game checks. I would assume that he has made enough money in his career to retire comfortably (as a normal person, not as a celebrity). Even if he bombs as an actor, he should still collectively make north of $5m in appearances, etc. I don't think that money is a big issue for Gronk anymore.

The humane side of me wants Gronk to retire.

The Patriots fan in me wants Gronk to play 10 more years.

I'm not sure if I like the Patriots or humanity more at this point.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It all really depends on how he feels physically.  If I was him and I still felt pretty good, I would come back and bank more cash.  The acting, WWE, etc. will all still be there a year or two from now.  No reason to go into that field now and give up the football which won't be there forever.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
It all really depends on how he feels physically.  If I was him and I still felt pretty good, I would come back and bank more cash.  The acting, WWE, etc. will all still be there a year or two from now.  No reason to go into that field now and give up the football which won't be there forever.

Regardless of the cash, it must not be a good feeling for Gronk if he thinks the Pats are nickeling and diming him. Esp. after he has laid it out all out there for old rich guys like Kraft and Belichick.

Belichick makes $7.5m a year, putting him in 2nd behind Sean Payton ($8m). I wonder if Bill would be willing to make below his market value like some of his players. Would he stick around for $3-4m per year? I'm not sure.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If I were Gronk I'd retire.

However, if I were Gronk, I would have never made it this far, because I would have been toast after my first back injury.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Regardless of the cash, it must not be a good feeling for Gronk if he thinks the Pats are nickeling and diming him. Esp. after he has laid it out all out there for old rich guys like Kraft and Belichick.

Belichick makes $7.5m a year, putting him in 2nd behind Sean Payton ($8m). I wonder if Bill would be willing to make below his market value like some of his players. Would he stick around for $3-4m per year. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure how much of it is nickel & diming.  Is Gronk under market value?  For sure.  However, the Pats & everyone else is playing under a hard cap system which makes things much more difficult from a management standpoint.  The team has to make some tough calls when it comes to player contracts/valuation.  Gronk just restructured last May where incentives could lead to him being the highest paid TE in the game. He's not exactly criminally underpaid if you strictly go by position.  His agent & he kinda knew what they were getting into, right? 

That being said, he's in a good place.  He could retire & be fine.  Or he could keep playing and do it at a high level and certainly cement his legacy as the greatest TE in NFL history (which he is, arguably, already).  The selfish me wants him to play 2-3 more years & retire with Brady.  But I certainly understand the health concerns.    You're seeing a lot of neurological stuff coming out now which illustrates how dangerous of a game it really is.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If he is considering retirement for health reasons, the WWE is not a good alternative then.

Fake it may be, but th injuries those guys get are real. They have a worse, albeit far less documented, CTE history than th NFL

Same goes for spine injuries

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
If he is considering retirement for health reasons, the WWE is not a good alternative then.

Fake it may be, but th injuries those guys get are real. They have a worse, albeit far less documented, CTE history than th NFL

I'd imagine that Gronk would be more viewed as a celebrity vs a regular wrestler in the WWE. I'd be shocked if he was doing the most aggressive wrestling moves.

Also, I think he would do appearances. I don't see him as a regular participant.

Re: legacy- I'm not sure that it is all that important. He has a SB ring, putting him ahead of To-Go and Gates. He will have to play for a while to get the counting stats, but I'm not sure that longevity is the prize that he is looking for.

I think Gronk has been the most dangerous TE in any given situation in NFL history. That prob. won't change, regardless of how many more games he plays.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Though a company like the WWE has done more to limit the chance of that happening then the NFL could.  They have outlawed many of the move sets that lead to a greater chance of that happening (chairshots to the head, piledrivers, diving head butts)

At the same time, they could use him in role that limits his body to exposure to more damage. 

But if his body is beat up, retiring is probably a good idea for quality of life going forward. 

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Belichick makes $7.5m a year, putting him in 2nd behind Sean Payton ($8m). I wonder if Bill would be willing to make below his market value like some of his players. Would he stick around for $3-4m per year? I'm not sure.
the fact that Bill isn't the highest paid coach, means he is taking below market value. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Gronkowski family has several business interests.  There was an article in the Boston Business Journal on this about a year ago.  Between the 5 brothers and the dad they're either running or partners in something like 15 different businesses. And this is well before the WWE thing.

He doesn't need to play football.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Where did you get this number?

The've never released details and speculation seems to be he is making upwards of 10 million. Also, Gruden is making 10 mil a year.

Edit: Ahh, I found the source. This data is from 2013 at the very latest and could be even older. There's no way he's still coaching for 7.5mil.

Edit2: This source is from 2012. Not exactly reliable for 2018 info.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:41:31 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 01:36:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

the fact that Bill isn't the highest paid coach, means he is taking below market value.
Worth noting it's not a fact as far as I can tell.