Author Topic: My offseason idea  (Read 3882 times)

My offseason idea
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 I have been thinking about how this team can be set up for the future. How can a young new big three coexist with a current big there? First things first we have Marcus smart.

Marcus is an infuriating player to watch. He constantly takes these assinine shots that drive you insane. Yet, the team does better with him out there. He encourages hustle play and really brings the team to life. The plus-minus stats really back this idea up. Unfortunately, it showed when he missed time from his hand injury. I think Lou Williams deal helps the Celtics show Marcus that he is not gonna find much money out in the market. I think a 4 year 30 million deal for Smart would be a good deal.

The Celtics do have Terry Rozier who has been playing very well as a role player. So well that I would argue he deserves more minutes. The Celtics don't have the playing time to give. With Hayward coming back next year and absorbing 30 minutes, As well as eventually another lottery pick aka the kings pick I don't see where Rozier plays.

I think Rozier's value could decrease if he is sitting on a bench too much. The Lakers pick is most likely not panning out for a top pick. Therefore, I propose that we package Rozier and the Kings pick for a top pick aka get our big man of the future.

Rozier is a young point guard that a lot of teams could find useful. Teams like Orlando, Pacers, Atlanta, Memphis, Denver etc.

I personally see Jarren Jackson jr or Wendall carter as our potential future guys. Either way, the big man top pick would replace Aaron Baynes minutes as 15-20 minutes where they switch between being on the bench and starting.

Tatum takes marcus morris's role of starting based don the matchup

Startinging line up of
Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Tatum/lottery pick
Horford

6th man: Smart
7th man Morris
8th man:theis
9th man Semi

Hayward then takes the combined minutes of rozier and Monroe to get 30 minutes
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: My offseason idea
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
One year of Rozier and a Sacramento pick that could end up in the 20s is not getting you into the lottery this year.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
One year of Rozier and a Sacramento pick that could end up in the 20s is not getting you into the lottery this year.
while your specific point is probably correct (rozier & pick in the 20s), i have trouble believing the next year's sacramento pick will be in the bottom third of the draft.

for the past five years sacramento's draft place was:
5th
8th
6th
8th
7th

unless you can provide a strong argument that they have somehow turned the corner, i see another year of a prime draft pick from them.

plus, the celtics will also have the following:

2019 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 1st round pick to Boston (via Memphis) protected for selections 1-14 in 2019

2019 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-8 in 2019

It is quite possible the celtics will have the assets to bundle with the sacramento pick and move up a tiny bit.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
while your specific point is probably correct (rozier & pick in the 20s), i have trouble believing the next year's sacramento pick will be in the bottom third of the draft.

for the past five years sacramento's draft place was:
5th
8th
6th
8th
7th

unless you can provide a strong argument that they have somehow turned the corner, i see another year of a prime draft pick from them.

plus, the celtics will also have the following:

2019 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 1st round pick to Boston (via Memphis) protected for selections 1-14 in 2019

2019 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-8 in 2019

It is quite possible the celtics will have the assets to bundle with the sacramento pick and move up a tiny bit.
Sacramento is horrible. If they end up with the #1 pick, Philly keeps that pick and Boston gets Philly's pick, which given how good they could be, would put the pick in the 20s.

Remember, that Sac pick is #1 protected.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Its not going first...no way.

The lottery reform will practically make it imposible for it to go number one plus I don't see the Kings really bad enough to lose 60 games.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:54:55 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
TP for an interesting idea.

*Maybe* that offer gets us into the 7-10 range, but I think it's still too light. Probably need to add at least one more pick, maybe even the Memphis pick. Sacto's pick is probably going to be good, but I think it's most likely going to be a lateral move (landing, say, 5-10) but deferred a year. It *might* be better, sure, but it just as well might be worse. A team exec pitched on turning this year's 8th pick into next year's 8th pick and TRoz probably isn't all that excited - and the downside risk is real. TRoz is a solid backup PG or a so-so starter with only one year left on his rookie deal; his RFA rights are useful but of limited value. He's an important piece on a complete team; I'm not sure what he's worth to an Orlando.

Once we start adding picks, we better be very, very confident of our evaluation of the guy we're getting. We really need some young players to hit, given the way our salary cap sheet looks going forward, and next year is (knock on wood for injuries) our first real shot at a title. I can see Terry three sticks being an important part of that drive. I don't want to give that up lightly.

But of course, you never know. Maybe Orlando likes TRoz and really wants someone to set the table for Gordon and Isaac. If they think they've got an Oladipo-type steal maybe they go for it. I don't see Dallas paying big after drafting Dennis Smith; I'm not sure how Atlanta values Schroeder, but trading a high pick for TRoz would be essentially giving up on DS. Don't see that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:05:29 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Danny has had terrible luck consolidating pieces to make a move up the draft (for the better so far). It just isn't going to happen.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 10:52:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Danny needs to spy on Spurs recruiting people.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 08:06:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Danny has had terrible luck consolidating pieces to make a move up the draft (for the better so far). It just isn't going to happen.
Not just Danny, moving up in the NBA draft is hard to do.  A single elite player makes a much bigger difference in basketball than in football, for example.  Also, the top-5 to -7 of the 2018 draft looks really good, who would give up such an opportunity for TR.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You've said this several times, but just because something could happen doesn't mean it's likely to happen and it definitely doesn't mean teams value that pick as if it landing in the 20's is a high probability. If that were the case then surely Ainge would have had different protections on the LAL portion of the pick and not just limit it to 2-5, right? That pick has a ton of value and that value is based on the overwhelming odds that it will be a high lottery pick. I'm sure teams will play the odds and trading away a 6-10 lottery pick to potentially grab one as high as #2 in 19 and also receive a young player you have full rights to, one that has done extremely well in a starting role, is pretty enticing.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:38:03 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Therefore, I propose that we package Rozier and the Kings pick for a top pick aka get our big man of the future.

There is a zero percent change the Kings pick is traded for another draft pick.

Either way, the big man top pick would replace Aaron Baynes minutes as 15-20 minutes where they switch between being on the bench and starting.

There is a less than zero percent chance that a rookie center would start for the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Therefore, I propose that we package Rozier and the Kings pick for a top pick aka get our big man of the future.

There is a zero percent change the Kings pick is traded for another draft pick.

Either way, the big man top pick would replace Aaron Baynes minutes as 15-20 minutes where they switch between being on the bench and starting.

There is a less than zero percent chance that a rookie center would start for the Celtics.

Zero chance the pick is traded for a pick in this year's draft? Why?

Oh, and rookie Theis has started 3 games this season or do those less than zero percent odds apply next season?

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We have enough rookies to develope for now. As a contending team, our primary focus should be on bringing some established players (not stars) who can leave an impact on our play immediately. That means, if we would trade Rozier or Smart we should try to Exchange them for guys liek Lou-Will, for example, Evans or someone similar. We are officialy a contender starting from October this year (if all healthy) so no more time for rookies. Our time is already booked for Tatum, Brown and Theis.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You've said this several times, but just because something could happen doesn't mean it's likely to happen and it definitely doesn't mean teams value that pick as if it landing in the 20's is a high probability. If that were the case then surely Ainge would have had different protections on the LAL portion of the pick and not just limit it to 2-5, right? That pick has a ton of value and that value is based on the overwhelming odds that it will be a high lottery pick. I'm sure teams will play the odds and trading away a 6-10 lottery pick to potentially grab one as high as #2 in 19 and also receive a young player you have full rights to, one that has done extremely well in a starting role, is pretty enticing.
Eddie, when we owned the Brooklyn picks and Brooklyn was a bottom three team, teams wanted a ton more than that pick when we discussed trades prior to the draft deadline because they didn't value that pick as a top 3 pick because of the great chance it could land loeer.

The Sac pick has a 9 to 14 percent chance of landing in the late teens to early 20s. It stands a huge chance of landing between 6 and 9. Teams in a top heavy very talented draft this year aren't going to trade a guaranteed top 5-6 pick in this draft for a pick next year in a much weaker draft that has a huge chance of being lower in the draft than this year.

GMs who have high picks fixate on guys and in turn way overvalue their pick. This trade just would not happen.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Eddie, when we owned the Brooklyn picks and Brooklyn was a bottom three team, teams wanted a ton more than that pick when we discussed trades prior to the draft deadline because they didn't value that pick as a top 3 pick because of the great chance it could land loeer.

Yet the Brooklyn pick what was most coveted in a package for Irving. Irving is clearly way more valuable than a 6-10 pick, so if a Brooklyn pick, a damaged Isaiah, and Crowder is enough to get him isn't it conceivable then to think Sacramento and Rozier is enough to get a player in the mid-lottery?

A protection on the pick, such as adding the Clippers or C's own 1st, if the Kings pick doesn't covey and it's instead the Sixers pick that's dealt seems reasonable for a Wendell Carter type player (not even talking about Ayton). In fact, I don't even think parting with Rozier and the Kings pick is the right move for a player like Carter. However, I do agree with the OP that it is entirely possible than a team would be really intrigued by that package.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:07:13 PM by Eddie20 »