Author Topic: Grant Williams Sign and Trade Ideas  (Read 5817 times)

Re: Grant Williams Sign and Trade Ideas
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2023, 04:14:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 990
https://twitter.com/dangercart/status/1671900451820691459?t=TsZ6EItjHl1E7eGreySa0A&s=19

1) Can not trade him tonight as he is RFA. Impossible
2) c's too close to the 2nd apron to use the TMLE
3) hard to trade Grant, as he is BYC, this offseason unless it is into cap space.

I disagree with point 3.  It’s not that difficult for a few reasons.

1) Any team with the MLE can now use it as a trade exception, which means if Grant winds up at that salary his new team wouldn’t need to send back any salary.  Also, any team with TPE’s larger than the MLE can also do this for even larger salaries.

2) If he gets a couple million more, deals can still work.  For example, suppose Grant gets $14 million in year 1.  His outgoing salary for the Celtics’ is $7 million.  His new team would need to send back $9 million to the Celtics in order to match salaries.  Grant alone can bring back $8.85 million, and the Celtics could then send over a small amount of extra guaranteed salary from Champagnie to get over the hump (as Champagnie is currently not guaranteed, they can just give him a partial guarantee, as they did for Fitts, Stauskas, and Morgan in the Brogdon deal last summer).  There comes a limit where this will not work, and it probably approaches a salary that the Celtics would not match, but BYC isn’t a huge hurdle for players in the mid-level range.  It’s more once you get to salaries starting near to $20 million than $12-15 million.

Find me a worthwhile trade with those parameters

Define worthwhile?  The less useful the player, the more the Celtics would ask for in draft compensation, but most teams have players making between $8-12 million they could send back if they valued Grant more.

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2023, 04:14:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 551
Ya Grant isn't going to return much in a S&T most likely. They can't trade him at tonight's draft because well obviously he isn't under contract. BYC rules make matching salary somewhat complicated for him, but it is doable.

The kind of thing I would expect is a team who wants Grant comes to Boston and says "Look we want this guy and we don't want to have to wait on your matching or worry about it so how about we give you a small draft asset not to match and we all move on?" This would be something like a pick expected to be in the 20-40 region of next years draft. The Bucks for example got a first and 2 seconds from IN in exchange for not matching on Malcolm Brogdon in 2019. Grant wont return that much since he's not nearly as good as Malcolm was then but a late first or early second seems doable.

At the very least you'd think some team with the non-tax MLE would throw that at Grant then maybe throw in a pick to get the c's not to match. He fits on a lot of teams due to his shooting.

With where this team is at now I just think its important you don't let a guy like him walk for nothing. Unless the offer he gets is TRULY INSANE match it, be in the 2nd apron next year (it's just money for next year, penalties don't ick ion until 24-25). Then figure it out later.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 04:22:14 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2023, 04:50:29 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I think if the top offer is just mle money, the celtics will just match, the last trade demonstrates that they are not scared of paying luxury tax money

I can see grant eventually signing the qo and rolling free agency into next year

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2023, 05:07:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think if the top offer is just mle money, the celtics will just match, the last trade demonstrates that they are not scared of paying luxury tax money

I can see grant eventually signing the qo and rolling free agency into next year

We tend to undervalue our guys in free agency. No one that Al or Hayward would get the offers they did. All it takes is one team with too much cap to convince themselves that Grant is a guy they want.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2023, 06:06:23 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Grant Williams
Payton Pritchard
#25 pick
2024 Warriors pick

For

#7 pick?  (With our buddy Theis and maybe one other player for filler)

Would love it, but I cannot see the justification for the Pacers.

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2023, 06:34:01 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Houston has cap room. Could they take Grant in a sign and trade for pick #20?

If so,

How far up could we move with pick #20, #25, Pritchard, and the 2024 Warriors pick. 

Does that get us in the top 10?

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2023, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Send above package to Dallas for #10 and Reggie Bullock?

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2023, 07:22:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Send above package to Dallas for #10 and Reggie Bullock?

Grant's a free agent and can't negotiate a new contract until free agency opens. Kind of hard to agree to terms on a deal without that key piece of information.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2023, 08:54:35 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
With Walker going to the Pacers in this trade, it seems a bit redundant to get Williams too. I'm guessing that SnT option is dead.

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2023, 09:56:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2954
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1672055322251350016

The Mavericks are active in the trade marketplace to use their new $17M exception to acquire a player and a current/future pick, sources said.

Keep an eye on Dallas.

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2023, 10:36:45 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 231

The Mavericks are active in the trade marketplace to use their new $17M exception to acquire a player and a current/future pick, sources said.

Keep an eye on Dallas.

Cool, give us Josh Green.

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2023, 10:36:53 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Keep an eye on Dallas.

This implies that they’re trying to buy a pick tonight by taking on salary someone is trying to move.

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2023, 10:45:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Keep an eye on Dallas.

This implies that they’re trying to buy a pick tonight by taking on salary someone is trying to move.

And they’ve done that in getting Richaun Holmes and pick 24.

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2023, 08:41:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
If I follow this correctly, DAL did two related trades:

Bertans + #10 to OKC for #12 (Basically trading down a couple of spots to dump some salary and I guess create the TPE).

Absorb Richaun Holmes and pick #24

So the net deal for Dallas is:

Out:  Bertans, #10
In:    Richaun Holmes, #12, #25

That is actually a pretty good net deal for DAL.

I don't think there is anyway that BOS could have done something with them for Grant and #25.  There would be no reason to.  Grant isn't salary we are looking to dump like SAC with Holmes.  That is a really expensive salary dump for SAC, giving up pick #25.  Wow.