Author Topic: would a young Shaq be able to dominate in the modern nba?  (Read 13770 times)

Re: would a young Shaq be able to dominate in the modern nba?
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2019, 11:43:47 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
So this back and forth is a spillover from the historical draft?  LOL.....I see we're keeping with old times around here.

For the record, you'd have to be pretty nuts to think Shaq wouldn't dominate in any era.  Like, you probably shouldn't be talking about basketball if you think Shaq would be just some average dude.  That's laughable.
Yeah it's pretty bad. The Hakeem stans are pretty obnoxious in this thread lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2019, 11:49:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So this back and forth is a spillover from the historical draft?  LOL.....I see we're keeping with old times around here.

For the record, you'd have to be pretty nuts to think Shaq wouldn't dominate in any era.  Like, you probably shouldn't be talking about basketball if you think Shaq would be just some average dude.  That's laughable.

Don't believe me check the thread for yourself. The ONLY comment  I made in this thread about Bigs other than Shaq was to INCLUDE them in the discussion as far as dominating.

I did not denigrate nor nit-pick them. Not my place to - especially in this thread.

See for yourself the posters than started denigrating Shaq while trying to build up their Bigs.

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2019, 02:35:18 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Old Shaq would have helped us beat the LBJ Heat! You think he couldn't play today when an old, hobbled, broken down, fat man Shaq did just fine! I just don't get how this is a question. IIRC we beat them every game Shaq played except his last playoff game where he played a half (?), we were winning that game too but when he got hurt, it screwed us.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2019, 03:20:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Old Shaq would have helped us beat the LBJ Heat! You think he couldn't play today when an old, hobbled, broken down, fat man Shaq did just fine! I just don't get how this is a question. IIRC we beat them every game Shaq played except his last playoff game where he played a half (?), we were winning that game too but when he got hurt, it screwed us.
Old Shaq was still a high end role player with near sub all star impact if he was healthy. He also had an All-Time peak with near GOAT level pull, second only to Jordan (who had GOAT level pull).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
In this nba teams would make shaq irrelevant.

Yes he could score. Yes he could get rebounds.

But he wouldnt even be able to keep up with the speed of players. He would gas.

Imagine shaq trying to defend a pg on a switch? Teams didnt switch defensively in the past like they do today...and that is due to the importance and reliance on the 3pt shot.

Any team playing shaq would be substituting 3pter for 2pters

Look at all the big, truely big players in the last 10 years. Boban for example, is a strong as shaq, bigger than shaq, and is essentially useless except for bench minutes

Absolutely nailed it. The 3 point shot wasn’t the go to offense in Shaqs day. His largest weakness on defense was PnR switches. With the rise of 3s came more PnRs as the exploitative tactic to create a 3 (teams must either go under the pick and cede a 3 or go over the pick and either give up a drive or switch.) Shaq would have only been hindered in today’s league. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have been a great player (Embiid is able to survive) but he would have had a harder time.

I do not see a world where prime Shaq is abused on defense on a nightly basis. Yes I could see some teams some nights spin him in circles but he's getting that back and more on the other end.

Legit disrespect happening on Shaq in the softest NBA I've ever seen.

You 2 are trolling for the sake of argument in the off-season right?

Do we not remember prime Shaq?
Dude just said Ben Wallace and Hakeem routinely shut down Shaq. I doubt they were alive in his prime.
To be fair Hakeem did dominate Shaq until Hakeem got old.  Now obviously Shaq wasn't quite in his prime, but that 95 Finals Hakeem was the better player, which is why the Rockets swept the Magic.

It appears to ME at least - via these stats - that Shaq and Hakeem were rather close talent wise even when Shaq was young - and in some areas better.

Take a look for yourself.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Shaquille+O%27Neal&player_id1_select=Shaquille+O%27Neal&player_id1=onealsh01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id2_select=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id2=olajuha01&idx=players

And Shaq appeared to obliterate Hakeem as he got older.

Thank Goodness that MJ went to MLB and gave Hakeem the opportunity to get his two rings. Without those, the ring count would be 4-0 Shaq.
I know the stats, Hakeem was better than Shaq.  He was a more complete player both offensively and defensively.  They had very little overlap in their primes, but if Shaq was good enough to lead the Magic to the Finals I have a hard time saying that wasn't still his prime and that was the very end of Hakeem's prime. 

And I've maintained for years on here that I think the Rockets would have won those 2 titles whether MJ retired or not.  The Bulls were at the end of the line.  They were tired.  They weren't going to win 8 titles in a row.  And the Rockets always gave the Bulls problems because they had no answer for Hakeem.  MJ retiring allowed the Bulls to revamp their entire roster.  The only 2 players on the Bulls 3rd title and 4th title were MJ and Pippen.  In other words, they turned over the entire team (outside of the 2 best players) in the span of 2 seasons.  I don't think they do that without MJ retiring and they absolutely needed to do that to win those last 3 titles. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2019, 09:37:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Old Celts Shaq , non injuried , beat most of the bigs today no question . He could score inside at will.  Even if he was slow on D , he was scoring every time he got the ball with in 6 ft of the bucket .

KG and Healthy Shaq was as dominant pair of Boston bigs as I can remember since McHale and Chief and Bird days . 

Shaq and KG were toying with most clubs , it did not seem fair .

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Whos gonna defend him ?

Shaq gets anything he wants in the paint while opponents only feel the pain and reach for " Icey Hot " after the game  :)

Shaqs hand fits nicely around Dramond Greens neck as he reachs up with,the other arm and slam it though the basket.

Hakeem and wallace routinely shut shaq down.

Its not an impossible thing at all.

You're being ridiculous.

Show me stats / footage where this happened.

Don't be foolish.

https://youtu.be/kstxcpbXHG0

https://youtu.be/vOjYSFznYoU

https://youtu.be/PdNLSnmZa0w

https://youtu.be/Evq1h3prDIA

https://youtu.be/9trtVzjsPOU

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2013-jan-22-la-sp-sn-shaquille-oneal-hakeem-olajuwon-20130122-story.html%3f_amp=true

They are not hard to find

You know, I don't often post youtube videos on here anymore. They don't tell the WHOLE story and are oftentimes biased.

That series with DET had a Lakers team that was thrown together...didn't that team have Malone and GP on it? And by THEN Kobe and Shaq were just about at wits end.

Here is a post from a commenter in that thread that got almost 1000 upchecks. To ME - this comment said it all:

"For the series, Shaq scored 26.6 ppg on 63% shooting. What Pistons did was deny the ball to Shaq, and they did it as a team. The guy who got really shutdown was Kobe, 17% shooting from the threes is really bad."

Try again. And you are ignoring my Head-Head link for Shaq vs Hakeem.

And furthermore - these posts of yours have nothing to do with whether Shaq would've dominated in today's NBA.

Yeah. They do.

And i supported a number of my counterpoints to some misplaced claims. Like you requested.

But to support your claim you look to a internet post.

Wallace neutralized shaq. As did the rest of the team.

Hakeem bested shaq and shaq couldnt contain him.

You asked for footage. So i showed it.

You claim shaq can defend the pick amd roll out to and including the 3pt line.

Prove it

Shaq would score 25ppg and would get 10 rebounds and would be a tremendous liability. All those elbows he threw would be immediately called in this day amd age.

Shaq dominated by bullyball. Bullyball is dead due to the rules. He would have to change his entire offense and defense.

And kobe shot poorly that series because he was constantly pressured and doubleteamed because shaq couldnt get himself open to draw defense away.

Shaq needed to be given the ball where he wanted it. Prevent that and he becomes limited.

You ignore the fact that that Lakers team was dead on arrival with the rift between Shaq and Kobe. You also deny the fact that Shaq was on his way out of LA right after that series - to MIA - where he went on and won his 4th Ring (to Hakeem's 2). Hakeem should thank Michael Jordan.

Kobe Bryant - without Shaq - shot an abysmal 8-24 in the NBA finals against BOS - and got a lot of help from Dancin' Joey Crawford and the Heartbreakers.

Shaq Prime would struggle "A BIT" in the modern NBA DEFENSIVELY but guess what? GSW doesn't exist anymore. The NBA is now a lot more conventional than you think.

Shaq's struggles defensively would me marginal, at best. He would STILL be an elite scorer and distributor....and more than likely STILL leading a team to Banners.

Most posters in this thread don't support your claims, Silky. You ALSO fail to acknowledge my STATISTICAL post about Shaq's head-to-head matchup with Hakeem.

Just stop it, man.

Know what caused that rift between kobe and shaq? Shaq being lazy.

And shaq went to miami and thanks to wade won again. And shaq himself stated wade was the reason they won.

And kobe on his own? What does that have to do with shaq for starters, secondly did he have anyone on that team of real substatance? Nope.

Gsw doesnt exist anymore? Since when? Since when has traditional centers made a return?

Hakeem outplayed shaq. As evidenced by footage i posted. But you can ignore that and look at raw stats that shaq got during blowouts and against player not named hakeem during that series.

Now again this isnt about shaq versus hakeem other than the notiin that hakeem would fit much better in todays nba than shaq.

Actually.

Russell
Hakeem
Walton
Parish
Robinson
Malone
Cowens

All make better centers in todays game than shaq.

And in relation to other posters...that doesnt make you right if others agree with you. Just loke others agreeing with mr doesnt make me right.

You are getting far to hot over this.

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Old Celts Shaq , non injuried , beat most of the bigs today no question . He could score inside at will.  Even if he was slow on D , he was scoring every time he got the ball with in 6 ft of the bucket .

KG and Healthy Shaq was as dominant pair of Boston bigs as I can remember since McHale and Chief and Bird days . 

Shaq and KG were toying with most clubs , it did not seem fair .

Shaq has to get the ball.

Detroit prevented that in shaqs prime. Team defenses would just play deny with the ball if he got it fine, let him get his bucket then just run it back up the floor and exhaust him.

Remember shaq never had nimble 6foot9-7 footers on the wing jumping ibto passing lanes like we have today.

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Imagine shaq trying to defend a pg on a switch? Teams didnt switch defensively in the past like they do today...and that is due to the importance and reliance on the 3pt shot.

Look at all the big, truely big players in the last 10 years. Boban for example, is a strong as shaq, bigger than shaq, and is essentially useless except for bench minutes

Absolutely nailed it. The 3 point shot wasn’t the go to offense in Shaqs day. His largest weakness on defense was PnR switches. With the rise of 3s came more PnRs as the exploitative tactic to create a 3 (teams must either go under the pick and cede a 3 or go over the pick and either give up a drive or switch.) Shaq would have only been hindered in today’s league. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have been a great player (Embiid is able to survive) but he would have had a harder time.

I do not see a world where prime Shaq is abused on defense on a nightly basis. Yes I could see some teams some nights spin him in circles but he's getting that back and more on the other end.

Dude just said Ben Wallace and Hakeem routinely shut down Shaq. I doubt they were alive in his prime.
To be fair Hakeem did dominate Shaq until Hakeem got old.  Now obviously Shaq wasn't quite in his prime, but that 95 Finals Hakeem was the better player, which is why the Rockets swept the Magic.

It appears to ME at least - via these stats - that Shaq and Hakeem were rather close talent wise even when Shaq was young - and in some areas better.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Shaquille+O%27Neal&player_id1_select=Shaquille+O%27Neal&player_id1=onealsh01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id2_select=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id2=olajuha01&idx=players

Thank Goodness that MJ went to MLB and gave Hakeem the opportunity to get his two rings. Without those, the ring count would be 4-0 Shaq.
I know the stats, Hakeem was better than Shaq.  He was a more complete player both offensively and defensively.  They had very little overlap in their primes, but if Shaq was good enough to lead the Magic to the Finals I have a hard time saying that wasn't still his prime and that was the very end of Hakeem's prime. 

And I've maintained for years on here that I think the Rockets would have won those 2 titles whether MJ retired or not.  The Bulls were at the end of the line.  They were tired.  They weren't going to win 8 titles in a row.  And the Rockets always gave the Bulls problems because they had no answer for Hakeem.  MJ retiring allowed the Bulls to revamp their entire roster.  The only 2 players on the Bulls 3rd title and 4th title were MJ and Pippen.  In other words, they turned over the entire team (outside of the 2 best players) in the span of 2 seasons.  I don't think they do that without MJ retiring and they absolutely needed to do that to win those last 3 titles.

Exactly. Well put.

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

No not at all.

Its an debate as to if shaq could still dominate in todays nba.

Has nothing to do with the historical draft thread. Not with me at least no mattet how many times i am accused of it

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

No not at all.

Its an debate as to if shaq could still dominate in todays nba.

Has nothing to do with the historical draft thread. Not with me at least no mattet how many times i am accused of it

Yes it does.

ANYONE with the ability to simply "Click on Page 3" of this thread can see where the thread starts to derail with the "Wilt would towel up Shaq" and the comments from Moranis about "Shaq not dominating until David, Hakeem got old"

Interesting that TWO of those posters are MODS that "should" know better. Operative word being "SHOULD."

And then YOU decided to chime in with your comments.

LOOK - if we want to start tearing down our rosters lets do it in the Historical Draft thread. There, I can start referencing how Kobe was EXTREMELY hard on his teammates and helped to run SHAQUILLE O'NEAL out of LA - which effectively ensured BOS's dominance in Banners.

Let's go.

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2019, 10:55:37 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

it is HILARIOUS how on Celticsstrong posters can ignore stats...some on here seem to cherry-pick at will....

Seems like SOME of us want to focus on "Shaq being bigger and stronger" than everyone...thus having lack of skill. This commentary is simply wrong.

Yes - Hakeem "was" a slightly better player than Shaq. But Shaq was more DOMINANT and was no slouch skill and talent-wise, either.

Shaq was an Elite Passer. Shaq - when engaged - was a capable defender.

Shaq won more rings.

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Whos gonna defend him ?

Shaq gets anything he wants in the paint while opponents only feel the pain and reach for " Icey Hot " after the game  :)

Shaqs hand fits nicely around Dramond Greens neck as he reachs up with,the other arm and slam it though the basket.

Hakeem and wallace routinely shut shaq down.

Its not an impossible thing at all.

You're being ridiculous.

Show me stats / footage where this happened.

Don't be foolish.

https://youtu.be/kstxcpbXHG0

https://youtu.be/vOjYSFznYoU

https://youtu.be/PdNLSnmZa0w

https://youtu.be/Evq1h3prDIA

https://youtu.be/9trtVzjsPOU

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2013-jan-22-la-sp-sn-shaquille-oneal-hakeem-olajuwon-20130122-story.html%3f_amp=true

They are not hard to find

You know, I don't often post youtube videos on here anymore. They don't tell the WHOLE story and are oftentimes biased.

That series with DET had a Lakers team that was thrown together...didn't that team have Malone and GP on it? And by THEN Kobe and Shaq were just about at wits end.

Here is a post from a commenter in that thread that got almost 1000 upchecks. To ME - this comment said it all:

"For the series, Shaq scored 26.6 ppg on 63% shooting. What Pistons did was deny the ball to Shaq, and they did it as a team. The guy who got really shutdown was Kobe, 17% shooting from the threes is really bad."

Try again. And you are ignoring my Head-Head link for Shaq vs Hakeem.

And furthermore - these posts of yours have nothing to do with whether Shaq would've dominated in today's NBA.

Yeah. They do.

And i supported a number of my counterpoints to some misplaced claims. Like you requested.

But to support your claim you look to a internet post.

Wallace neutralized shaq. As did the rest of the team.

Hakeem bested shaq and shaq couldnt contain him.

You asked for footage. So i showed it.

You claim shaq can defend the pick amd roll out to and including the 3pt line.

Prove it

Shaq would score 25ppg and would get 10 rebounds and would be a tremendous liability. All those elbows he threw would be immediately called in this day amd age.

Shaq dominated by bullyball. Bullyball is dead due to the rules. He would have to change his entire offense and defense.

And kobe shot poorly that series because he was constantly pressured and doubleteamed because shaq couldnt get himself open to draw defense away.

Shaq needed to be given the ball where he wanted it. Prevent that and he becomes limited.

You ignore the fact that that Lakers team was dead on arrival with the rift between Shaq and Kobe. You also deny the fact that Shaq was on his way out of LA right after that series - to MIA - where he went on and won his 4th Ring (to Hakeem's 2). Hakeem should thank Michael Jordan.

Kobe Bryant - without Shaq - shot an abysmal 8-24 in the NBA finals against BOS - and got a lot of help from Dancin' Joey Crawford and the Heartbreakers.

Shaq Prime would struggle "A BIT" in the modern NBA DEFENSIVELY but guess what? GSW doesn't exist anymore. The NBA is now a lot more conventional than you think.

Shaq's struggles defensively would me marginal, at best. He would STILL be an elite scorer and distributor....and more than likely STILL leading a team to Banners.

Most posters in this thread don't support your claims, Silky. You ALSO fail to acknowledge my STATISTICAL post about Shaq's head-to-head matchup with Hakeem.

Just stop it, man.

Know what caused that rift between kobe and shaq? Shaq being lazy.

And shaq went to miami and thanks to wade won again. And shaq himself stated wade was the reason they won.

And kobe on his own? What does that have to do with shaq for starters, secondly did he have anyone on that team of real substatance? Nope.

Gsw doesnt exist anymore? Since when? Since when has traditional centers made a return?

Hakeem outplayed shaq. As evidenced by footage i posted. But you can ignore that and look at raw stats that shaq got during blowouts and against player not named hakeem during that series.

Now again this isnt about shaq versus hakeem other than the notiin that hakeem would fit much better in todays nba than shaq.

Actually.

Russell
Hakeem
Walton
Parish
Robinson
Malone
Cowens

All make better centers in todays game than shaq.

And in relation to other posters...that doesnt make you right if others agree with you. Just loke others agreeing with mr doesnt make me right.

You are getting far to hot over this.

Medical Bill Walton - I doubt - could even stay HEALTHY enough to play in Today's NBA. Furthermore - when I chose HIM in the Historical Draft back in 2011 I was excoriated for it just because of his HEALTH...

Now? He seems to be a GREAT PICK for whomever chose him. Go figure......

Dave Cowens - whom I LOVE - would be a fine player but his dominance would NOT be anymore than Shaq's. He was only 6'9"...a bit short.

Malone? He would have perhaps the BIGGEST adjustments to make. At least with ORLANDO Shaq he had a great amount of speed and athleticism...Malone? Not so much.

Chief and Robinson? They'd fare fine in Today's NBA...but no more than Shaq. Did David take his team to the Finals? Nope. Chief? Needed not only Larry but ALSO Mchale....

Just stop it with the revisionist history. Most posters here are AGAINST you. Stop being ignorant.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:14:55 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2019, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Let me post this here ONE MORE time - for ALL to see and make their OWN assessments

All I ask is that posters look at all the stats...assess Shaq Young / Old versus Hakeem Young / Old.

See for yourself.

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2019, 11:22:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Very surprised that the Hakeem romanticism has him being ranked ahead of Shaq. Shaq had a higher peak but slightly worse longevity, I'd pick Shaq as the better player tbh.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA