Author Topic: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread  (Read 35422 times)

Roy H. and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread
« Reply #330 on: Today at 12:16:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2425
Anunoby says he will be back for the ECF. Don't know much about a hamstring strain.

What can somebody tell me about Isaiah Hartenstein? He seems to be their only player with height.

I am impressed by Hartenstein. Good defender. Good rebounder. Very good passer. One of the better passing bigs in the league. Nice variety of short shots around the basket on rolls to the rim. Sort of a floater / push shot on them. Very accurate. Not a guy who will create his own offense.

He is going to get paid a lot of money this summer.

He reminds me of Steven Adams as a defender / rebounder / scorer. An even better passer. More like Joakim Noah level passer.

« Reply #331 on: Today at 04:18:55 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1401
The Ringer is getting stuck into us again about how boring our progress to the ECF has been and how easy a path we've had ("easiest in four decades" apparently).

This Celtics run has been a protracted state of awaiting—for fans, for detractors, for the team itself. Call it joyless, call it the easiest path to the NBA Finals in four decades, and Celtics fans might rush in to defend, but in an obligatory manner befitting an older sibling defending their kid brother more than an outright denial. They have the birthright to cast aspersions; you don’t. What we can all agree on is that it feels like only a matter of time before the Celtics reach their destiny as the Eastern representative in the Finals. There is a distinct void at the heart of that sentiment: Whatever it is, it isn’t sports, really. It’s clock-watching.

That is in stark contrast to their likely conference final foe in the Knicks, who lay their destiny at Jalen Brunson’s tired feet, who hurtle their bodies into the morass of the restricted area to fight for extended possessions because there is no time to lose. They treat basketball as a struggle whose reward is a catharsis born of all-out exhaustion. Drama is a six-game first-round series wherein the total scoring margin is a single point; it is the tension between expectation and the anxiety that powers suspense. It is as Spike says: a belief in the chance that something extraordinary can happen. It is the missing link in the Celtics campaign, which feels more and more like a failure of storytelling than anything grounded in basketball. What’s missing is immersion—the mind-body investment in the forward momentum of play. The stuff that makes great games feel like dream states. Of course, it’s hard to invoke that sensation without the right dance partner.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/5/16/24158220/boston-celtics-eastern-conference-finals-cleveland-cavaliers-game-5

They're probably right mind you but still it's annoying to hear it  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #332 on: Today at 04:51:18 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 562
The Ringer is getting stuck into us again about how boring our progress to the ECF has been and how easy a path we've had ("easiest in four decades" apparently).

This Celtics run has been a protracted state of awaiting—for fans, for detractors, for the team itself. Call it joyless, call it the easiest path to the NBA Finals in four decades, and Celtics fans might rush in to defend, but in an obligatory manner befitting an older sibling defending their kid brother more than an outright denial. They have the birthright to cast aspersions; you don’t. What we can all agree on is that it feels like only a matter of time before the Celtics reach their destiny as the Eastern representative in the Finals. There is a distinct void at the heart of that sentiment: Whatever it is, it isn’t sports, really. It’s clock-watching.

That is in stark contrast to their likely conference final foe in the Knicks, who lay their destiny at Jalen Brunson’s tired feet, who hurtle their bodies into the morass of the restricted area to fight for extended possessions because there is no time to lose. They treat basketball as a struggle whose reward is a catharsis born of all-out exhaustion. Drama is a six-game first-round series wherein the total scoring margin is a single point; it is the tension between expectation and the anxiety that powers suspense. It is as Spike says: a belief in the chance that something extraordinary can happen. It is the missing link in the Celtics campaign, which feels more and more like a failure of storytelling than anything grounded in basketball. What’s missing is immersion—the mind-body investment in the forward momentum of play. The stuff that makes great games feel like dream states. Of course, it’s hard to invoke that sensation without the right dance partner.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/5/16/24158220/boston-celtics-eastern-conference-finals-cleveland-cavaliers-game-5

They're probably right mind you but still it's annoying to hear it  :angel:

I've personally had a ton of joy watching the Celtics curb stomp the Heat and Cavs.

Give me this anxiety free playoff run over sweating out every series in 7 like they've done the last few years.

« Reply #333 on: Today at 05:39:26 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
I have no idea what The Ringer is talking about.  The Celtics are the number 1 seed and have won their first two series.  Are they being critical of the team for there not being more drama?  Are they just whining that is is not as fun for the fans (the non-Celtics fans anyway)?  Frankly I couldn't care less how much fun it is for non-Celtics fans.

If you want to nit-pick the Celtics, pick on the fact that they have lost two home games to lesser teams and that their home playoff record has been bad for a while.  Of course they haven't lost a road game this year so there is that.  I don't see the home court thing as a problem, I see it more as a statistical abnormality, but it would at least make some sense to write about that.