Author Topic: L. Hudson interesting stats/my take  (Read 10058 times)

Re: L. Hudson interesting stats/my take
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
32 points 12 Rebs 7 Ast versus Aubrun isnt to shabby
35 points 10 rebs versus Memphis isn't bad
36 points 9 rebs 6 ast versus Vandy not bad
26 points 11 rebs vs UNLV not bad
plus he dropped at least 20 on every other "big" school he played against. Point being, he does not make the sched he only plays the games and he balled out every game he played in his college career. Nobody is saying he will be the next Steph Curry or better than him. But both coming from small schools its odd one was picked in the top 6 of a draft and the 2nd leading scorer in college ball was picked 58

i'm too lazy to look myself, but i'd like to see the scores of those games.  if they were blowouts, they wouldn't mean much.  if they were close games or wins, then that is very impressive

Wasn't Jordan's 60 point playoff game a loss?

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 03:02:57 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I like Hudson and hope he sticks.  Every year there are undrafted guys, or guys drafted late, who succeed in the NBA (if not right away, then eventually).  Last year it was Anthony Morrow.

I've been trying to think of who Lester Hudson might resemble and one player who popped into mind was Troy Hudson. 

First off, they share the same last name.  Second, both were SGs caught in a PGs body (ie: scorers first, distributors second).  Third, both come from "weaker" conferences (Lester from Ohio Valley Conf., Troy from Missouri Valley Conf.),  Fourth, Troy was never drafted, Lester came close to not being drafted...

I'm gonna stick with Lindsey Hunter - which i would love by the way - as a comparison.

Long reach, tough strong defender, decent passing skills, can knock down the three-ball and put the ball on the floor some....

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
  he doesn't have many NBA level skills.

This is an absurd comment. He was one of the best defenders of the draft, one of the best shooters in traffic, didn't dip in big games, can score on anyone, etc.

Isn't scoring an NBA skill? I could've sworn that it was.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Insert Name Here... sorry Lester Hudson is a long shot, like every other 58 pick in history.   He's a long shot with redeemable skills.  Let's see what happens, but making the roster and being a developmental league guys seems like his best case scenario.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
He sounds like Eddie House with college point guard skills (Eddie House probably has about college point guard skills though so he maybe just sounds like Eddie House) and a little more athleticism.

But then I imagine that Eddie House sounded like Steve Kerr with more athleticism.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Hudson will get his chance to prove himself,either he will make it or break it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:21:53 PM by housecall »

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19

This is an absurd comment. He was one of the best defenders of the draft, one of the best shooters in traffic, didn't dip in big games, can score on anyone, etc.

TP. Enough said.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 05:57:14 PM »

Offline REGGIEEEE

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
58th pick or not I really like the makeup of this kid.  I think Hudson has a great chance of being the 14th or 15th guy on the bench with a fair to good shot at working his way up the depth chart by late season to next year.

If you look at DA's late draft picks, Most if not all of these players were their conference players of the year.  Hudson was POY for 2 seasons, Powe was POY at Cal, Giddens POY at New Mexico and if memory serves me correctly Big Baby and Ryan Gomes were both POY's at LSU and PC.  I don't care what conference you are playing in, if you are the best in it thats got to say something.

This guy's 24 years old, and no one really knows the whole story on him.  I would say the only reason this kid was playing at UT- Martins was because he had poor acedemic standing and it took him a while to get his GED.  

A lot of the draft sites knock on his turnovers, which also doesn't worry me all that much.  When the level of talent around you isnt even close to the level he played at it makes it easier for the player to force plays that a better player should make.  When Jose Jauan Barea was at NU, there were so many instances where Barea would make a hell of a pass, but his teamate would be a step behind or didnt have the hands to make the play.  If there were 5 JJB's on the court it would have been a different story. Same goes for Hudson.

And on a side note, maybe having a score first point guard coming off the bench would be a good thing.  Why worry about him being a Shooting Guard in a point guards body.  

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I look forward to hearing about Lester Hudson during training camp, and hope he does well.

More importantly, I look forward to hearing more FA rumors so that we can stop debating the finer points of Lester Hudson and how far down the bench he will be.  ;)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 10:14:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And yet he wasn't drafted in the Top 10??

Wait!! He's that good and wasn't drafted in the first round!!

Oh my freaking God!! You mean he's got all those NBA skills and is one of the best in the draft and lasted all the way until pick 58???

Yeah...my comment's absurd. Sure it is because we must have obviously just drafted Michael Jordan. Oh wait. We drafted a relative unknown who scored a lot in a weak conference on a bad team because he was probably the only guy on his team that could dribble a basketball and chew gum at the same time.

He scored a lot and rebounded a lot because he was playing with stiffs against stiffs for almost all his career. He's short. He has a body more geared towards being a football player. He's an okay shooter. He doesn't have explosive speed or great lateral movement or exceptional ups. He has a very questionable handle and questionable decision making skills. He isn't the best passer. And he needs a lot of work extending his range, not to mention that he's ball dominant and doesn't really run a very good half court offense.

And that assessment is being nice and straight from a scout in the ACC..

But my comments are absurd.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
His numbers do look promising but at 58th I really have no expectations of our pick. For me it's already a win if he gets further than our last late 2nd round pick.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
His numbers do look promising but at 58th I really have no expectations of our pick. For me it's already a win if he gets further than our last late 2nd round pick.

Whoa, haven't seen ya around much lately, Bree.  Everything goin' all right?

Beyond that, as he so often is, Nick appears on point again.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Whoa, haven't seen ya around much lately, Bree.  Everything goin' all right?

Beyond that, as he so often is, Nick appears on point again.

-sw
Thanks Steve. Good to see you still around in the forums. Hope the Draft was fun and that the NBA is everything you wanted it to be. TP...for just being Steve!! ;D

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 10:55:01 PM »

Offline Kdu12

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 10

And yet he wasn't drafted in the Top 10??

Wait!! He's that good and wasn't drafted in the first round!!

Oh my freaking God!! You mean he's got all those NBA skills and is one of the best in the draft and lasted all the way until pick 58???

Yeah...my comment's absurd. Sure it is because we must have obviously just drafted Michael Jordan. Oh wait. We drafted a relative unknown who scored a lot in a weak conference on a bad team because he was probably the only guy on his team that could dribble a basketball and chew gum at the same time.

He scored a lot and rebounded a lot because he was playing with stiffs against stiffs for almost all his career. He's short. He has a body more geared towards being a football player. He's an okay shooter. He doesn't have explosive speed or great lateral movement or exceptional ups. He has a very questionable handle and questionable decision making skills. He isn't the best passer. And he needs a lot of work extending his range, not to mention that he's ball dominant and doesn't really run a very good half court offense.

And that assessment is being nice and straight from a scout in the ACC..

But my comments are absurd.

Although I agree that the odds are definitely stacked against Hudson, I would like to point out that cbs sportsline says he was one of the countries premier shooters in college.  He shot 38.8 percent from 3 point range not far off from Curry who shot 40.8 this year.  Chad Ford says he "jumps out of the gym, can handle and can shoot"   I did read that he did not do so well with lateral quickness, but he is very strong and can finish.

Reggie Lewis scored over 2700 points in college, but fell to the second to the last pick in the first round because he came from a small college.  Sometimes GMs make mistakes (shocker there, I know). I am not saying this kid is going to be a star or even make the team, but I do think he has skills.  I just hope he has the heart, work ethic, and luck to make the team and contribute.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 10:59:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Hudson is the next MJ, clearly
When you love life, life loves you right back