Author Topic: Glen Davis and Leon Powe  (Read 4251 times)

Glen Davis and Leon Powe
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I've been thinking alot about what we do about them. But first I have to ask, is there even a market for these two players right now? What teams a really looking to add these guys.

I think us celtics fans might be overrating them, and it might be alot easier to get them back then we all think.

Obviously their restricted free agents and we can match any offer, but I don't see any team offering more money then we'd already be willing to pay. Which for me is 3-4 for glen and 2 for powe.

What do you guys think?

Re: Glen Davis and Leon Powe
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
resign baby...sign powe to the lowest contract around and see i his knee holds up when he returns in the middle of the season

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Well, how many knee injuries does this make for Powe?

I'm mean, we dont have to sign him until he's healthy? I dont think another team will.

BBD - I'd give him a super low contract - but I think he'll want more. But idk, the nostalgia of that shot wore off, I dont think he deserves more than 2-3 million.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I think you're right. If we moved on in the playoffs, Davis might have an argument for more, but we didn't. Now it just looks like a lucky open shot that he made. Great play, but not to be confused with great player. I agree, the market for Big Baby will not be huge.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:09:38 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I hope Powe is in a Celtics uniform next year. He's tough as nails and the epitome of what being a Celtic is all about.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I've been thinking alot about what we do about them. But first I have to ask, is there even a market for these two players right now? What teams a really looking to add these guys.

I think us celtics fans might be overrating them, and it might be alot easier to get them back then we all think.

Obviously their restricted free agents and we can match any offer, but I don't see any team offering more money then we'd already be willing to pay. Which for me is 3-4 for glen and 2 for powe.

What do you guys think?

If Glen gets more then 3 mil i'd let him walk. Wrong to say, but Leon would play for cheap, and he's proven he's a true Celtic the past 3 years.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I hope Powe is in a Celtics uniform next year. He's tough as nails and the epitome of what being a Celtic is all about.

Not me.  I don't think he's going to be ready to play until late next season and he probably won't be effective until the following season, if at all.  I'd rather not waste a roster spot on him.

We need to re-sign Baby.  With Shaq coming back to the East, we're going to need Baby.  Seems that he and Perk are the only ones that can reasonably defend Howard and Shaq and keep them away from the paint.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Not me.  I don't think he's going to be ready to play until late next season and he probably won't be effective until the following season, if at all.  I'd rather not waste a roster spot on him.

We need to re-sign Baby.  With Shaq coming back to the East, we're going to need Baby.  Seems that he and Perk are the only ones that can reasonably defend Howard and Shaq and keep them away from the paint.

we are currently wasting roster spots on JR giddeons, gabe pruitt, and mr. potential bill walker, and if your in a certain camp i belong to, tony allen.

surely either JR or pruitt (my choice by far) can be cut to keep a proven NBA rotation player as our 15th man until he's ready rather than let him walk for no good reason.

We're willing to praise danny for taking brainless projects on to be our 14th and 15th man because they are "no risk, all reward!" but once it's one of our own proven player's who's the semi project we can't afford to risk the roster spot over giants like JR, walker, pruitt, and TA.

Only on celticsblog.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think both will come back.

I actually have more doubts about Powe coming back right away.  I could see the Celtics use his roster spot for someone else until he is healthy, and then try and bring him back.  Really depends on how that injury adds ontop of his past injuries.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

we are currently wasting roster spots on JR giddeons, gabe pruitt, and mr. potential bill walker, and if your in a certain camp i belong to, tony allen.

surely either JR or pruitt (my choice by far) can be cut to keep a proven NBA rotation player as our 15th man until he's ready rather than let him walk for no good reason.

We're willing to praise danny for taking brainless projects on to be our 14th and 15th man because they are "no risk, all reward!" but once it's one of our own proven player's who's the semi project we can't afford to risk the roster spot over giants like JR, walker, pruitt, and TA.

Only on celticsblog.

Letting him walk for no good reason?  How about him being injured and likely not effective anymore?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

Only on celticsblog.

Well the problem with your thinking, is that you're taking the thoughts of many, an combining them as if it was one person.

Some people feel one way, some people feel another. But you can't just assume everyone feels both ways because they post on the same blog.

And for Powe, it'll be a long time before he sees the court again. This isn't his first serious knee injury. He slid so far in the draft because people thought he wouldn't be able to stay healthy.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153

What do you guys think?

If Glen gets more then 3 mil i'd let him walk. Wrong to say, but Leon would play for cheap, and he's proven he's a true Celtic the past 3 years.

He's also proven his knees are terrible and that he still doesn't have a jumper - BBD trumps Powe in both areas.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »

Offline powefan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Sign Powe for cheap.  Yes he's had another injury.  He has also already proven he can come back from the injury strong.  Medically speaking, talk to a orthopedic surgeon and they will tell you that having an injury like Leon's does not place you at greater risk for having that injury again.  Microfracture surgery is not the risk it used to be-- a lot of the recovery depends upon how hard the patient works in their rehab. and a full recovery is very likely.   Does anyone honestly think that working hard in rehab. will be an issue for Leon?  Nobody works harder than he does.  he will most likely be back, and playing his usual hard-nosed ball.

If the C's don't sign him, then it is very possible another team picks him up for cheap-- or he becomes a free-agent and no guarantee he signs with the C's when healthy again.  

I think the C's can afford to use a roster spot for him.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »

Offline Marqui

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
BBD - I'd give him a super low contract - but I think he'll want more. But idk, the nostalgia of that shot wore off, I dont think he deserves more than 2-3 million.
2-3 million is exactly the range he deserves. Anybody that thinks hes worth 3+ is crazy.

With Powes heavy injury history, hes only worth the near minimum to me.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If they can bring back both, great, but I don't think either are going to be the second coming of Chauncey Billups or Joe Johnson--players we're kicking ourselves for letting go years later. 

That said, I think it largely depends on what happens on the free agent market.  If Dice comes aboard and say Tony Battie gets bought and comes aboard, I'm not sure then if we're going to be all that worried about Big Baby coming back.  While it'd be nice to have both Baby and Powe, there's really only room for one of them in a rotation if we actually have real backup centers.  If Baby has outrageous contract demands, we certainly could survive with a 4/5 rotation of KG/Perk/Dice/Battie/Scal until Powe came back for the playoffs.