Author Topic: Gino!?  (Read 8111 times)

Gino!?
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Whats the story with this guy? I know thats they play it at the garden when we win as our new victory cigar but is he even a real musician? where did all this originate from? i did a quick google search and came up with nothing.

Become Legendary.

Re: Gino!?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Whats the story with this guy? I know thats they play it at the garden when we win as our new victory cigar but is he even a real musician? where did all this originate from? i did a quick google search and came up with nothing.

Really glad you asked, because I've been a musician for most of my life, and the real Gino Vannelli has been by far my greatest mentor/musical inspiration. His music is like no one else's, and he is revered among musicians as one of the foremost musical geniuses alive today.

He has recorded many, many albums ... each with a different flavor entirely, produced for many other musicians, and is a prefectionist in the studio of the highest order. The guy in the video played at the Garden, that's so popular, is NOT Gino Vannelli, but just a guy with a t-shirt on from the Gino Vannelli 1976 Brother To Brother album tour, (which I went to in Boston).

The real Gino, as a result of the popularity of this video, has produced new t-shirts that honor that original t-shirt and the Celtics, and the proceeds he donates to the Shamrock Foundation. Gino Vannelli really has no equal in his level of musical genius today, as a songwriter, lyricist, musician, (he plays drums, guitar, piano, etc.), recording engineer, producer, singer, and so on.

It makes me a bit sad that people don't know the amazing musician behind this whole t-shirt thing, and that the real Gino has never reached the level of acclaim that he deserves. TP for the opportuniy to share my love for this amazing human being, and the profound effect he's had on my life.

Good Bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gino_Vannelli

There are links there to his many web sites, I believe.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:34:17 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Does anyone (besides the above poster) care about hack singer Gino Vannelli?  The real icon is the guy in the GINO shirt disco dancing like crazy on the old TV clip.

I can't believe that he hasn't been identified yet. 

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:34:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Really glad you asked, because I've been a musician for most of my life, and the real Gino Vannelli has been by far my greatest mentor/musical inspiration. His music is like no one else's, and he is revered among musicians as one of the foremost musical geniuses alive today.

He has recorded many, many albums ... each with a different flavor entirely, produced for many other musicians, and is a prefectionist in the studio of the highest order. The guy in the video played at the Garden, that's so popular, is NOT Gino Vannelli, but just a guy with a t-shirt on from the Gino Vannelli 1976 Brother To Brother album tour, (which I went to in Boston).

The real Gino, as a result of the popularity of this video, has produced new t-shirts that honor that original t-shirt and the Celtics, and the proceeds he donates to the Shamrock Foundation. Gino Vannelli really has no equal in his level of musical genius today, as a songwriter, lyricist, musician, (he plays drums, guitar, piano, etc.), recording engineer, producer, singer, and so on.

It makes me a bit sad that people don't know the amazing musician behind this whole t-shirt thing, and that the real Gino has never reached the level of acclaim that he deserves. TP for the opportuniy to share my love for this amazing human being, and the profound effect he's had on my life.

Bahku, he may be an accomplished musician, but he's also definite fodder for the "Dollar Vinyl Bin" at the shop! In terms of popularity he peaked in the mid-to-late 70's, yes?  It's cool to hear so much respect from you for him though.  I'll dig up some records and give him a whirl.

And having seen the whole Gino bit in person at the Garden for the first time on Sunday, I have to say it's got to be about the most overrated thing ever.   It's silly. I'll give it that.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 10:35:37 PM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Gino Sings Wild Horses!

Thats weird, caus i always loved this song, but never knew Gino sang it.

LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of5Ss9rblb8&feature=related

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:36:03 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Does anyone (besides the above poster) care about hack singer Gino Vannelli?  The real icon is the guy in the GINO shirt disco dancing like crazy on the old TV clip.

Hack singer?!? Sorry, man, but that shows how very little you know about music ... and Gino Vannelli.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:40:48 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Bahku, he may be an accomplished musician, but he's also definite fodder for the "Dollar Vinyl Bin" at the shop! In terms of popularity he peaked in the mid-to-late 70's, yes?  It's cool to hear so much respect from you for him though.  I'll dig up some records and give him a whirl.

And having seen the whole Gino bit in person at the Garden for the first time on Sunday, I have to say it's got to be about the most overrated thing ever.   It's silly. I'll give it that.

He may have "peaked" in popularity in the late 70's and early 80's, but he's been continually recording his own albums and producing for others ever since, and it's amazing stuff. What is "popular" in music is a very poor litmus for judging musical quality, and I'm extremely grateful that I don't buy music using those parameters. Most of the truly best musicians in the world. especially in jazz, regard Gino as one of the greatest musical and creative minds of the last fifty years.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:48:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

He may have "peaked" in popularity in the late 70's and early 80's, but he's been continually recording his own albums and producing for others ever since, and it's amazing stuff. What is "popular" in music is a very poor litmus for judging musical quality, and I'm extremely grateful that I don't buy music using those parameters. Most of the truly best musicians in the world. especially in jazz, regard Gino as one of the greatest musical and creative minds of the last fifty years.
Sadly that's absolutely true.  Just for proof I can tell you the best selling piece of music I've ever had is Los del Rios "Macarena".  For one summer that thing was impossible to keep in stock. 

High praise indeed for Gino.  I'll definitely check him out.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:52:51 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Sadly that's absolutely true.  Just for proof I can tell you the best selling piece of music I've ever had is Los del Rios "Macarena".  For one summer that thing was impossible to keep in stock. 

High praise indeed for Gino.  I'll definitely check him out.

His best album of the last few years, (I feel), is called: "Slow Love" ... check that out, if any ... it's amazing! "Canto" is newer, but is very classical-feeling, and he wrote it and sang it in four languages, (it's very Gershwin-like). "These Are The Days" is the newest, but is half new songs, and half some of the older stuff.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 12:48:03 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
this is off-topic but zerophase, really nice sig u got there
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 01:24:28 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Hack singer?!? Sorry, man, but that shows how very little you know about music ... and Gino Vannelli.

Sorry man, but your blathering about Vannelli makes you look kinda silly. 

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 01:32:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Vannelli is an incredible musician, but frankly, why do you care what I think, or feel the need to bash it? If you haven't got anything positive to say, why say anything at all? Sorry, but intolerance is taking the low road ... you might want to try a different route.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 03:11:00 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 03:19:21 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

Vannelli is an incredible musician, but frankly, why do you care what I think, or feel the need to bash it? If you haven't got anything positive to say, why say anything at all? Sorry, but intolerance is taking the low road ... you might want to try a different route.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with having a man-crush!

Speaking of man-crushes, what ever happened to MikeDfromNP?

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

I was there Sunday, and I was a little disappointed, Gino used to be funny.  But of course, C's management had to ruin it by "making it theirs."  The dancers came out with Gino t-shirts on, and the jumbotron said "IT'S GINO TIME!"   Instead of being a fun little inside joke that the fans created, it turned into a Celtics Creation:

"We are going to show Gino, and we are going to tell you when and how to cheer for him." 

I think that mentality is what is sucking the fun out of it...it has become overrated because instead of enjoying it for what it is, C's management made a huge deal out of it so they could sell a couple T-shirts.