Author Topic: Sorry, but Bibby was right (kind of)  (Read 22053 times)

Re: Sorry, but Bibby was right (kind of)
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2008, 06:44:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Perk's response to Bibby should be "scoreboard". 

Bibby really is a classless individual.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2008, 08:46:10 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
'The people I was talking about know who they are,' he said. 'If they took offense to it, they must be part of it. I guess they are all bandwagon jumpers.'"

At least he sticks to his guns.  No one can deny that there are more people there than last year or the year before or the year before, but that doesn't make him any less of an idiot for calling them on it when he can't even back up his big mouth with half decent play.

Exactly.
And when (if!) the Celtics have a bad year again,
then those fans that were always there, people like
you, people like me (and countless others here)
will STILL be stickin' with this team, like we always
did and like we always will...
True love doesn't die!

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Thank goodness for Mike Bibby - a TP for the lad. 

If it wasn't for him, what would we all be talking about???  He's inspired multiple passionate threads.  This series (up to now) would be a bit mundane.

I'd offer some good chants for when they come back to the Garden, but (without jinxing anything) it's looking like we'll have all summer to do that.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 12:23:03 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
You know what I love?

From the AJC this morning...

The Hawks have yet to sell out Games 3 and 4 of the series, which comes to Philips Arena Saturday and Monday. According to Ticketmaster, seats were still available for both games

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 01:20:25 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
sorry budCelt, but what's the difference?

yes, bibby was foolish for saying this, but i agree with the OP that he was kind of right.

A real fan cheers for (publically) and attends games more than willingly, adamantly, even when the team stinks.  Other "fans" are by definition "fair weather".

Regardless, the net result is that ALL fans, fair weather or not, were completely venomous towards him tonight - and while Bibby showed flashes of transcending it early on, he eventually played another dud.

as sheed would say, "ball don't lie!"

BudCelt was right on. Reread his post and you will see the difference.

Spending money for a game should lead to enjoyment, not despair. If others couldn't bear to watch the Celtics last year, I can understand. If they wanted the owners to earn their income, that is fine. Just because I still bought tickets doesn't make me feel the need to declare myself a superior "real" fan.

Bibby's comment was idiotic and Pierce had the best answer. EVERY team has fair-weather fans. But the Celtics still sold out many games last year while losing. The Celtics also had attendance much better than their record.

I also feel that the 'fair-weather fans' are no worse than the self-righteous, judgmental die-hards who complain throughout the game with nonsense critiques of every play, every call, and every coaching decision. I welcome all fans, even the casual and the obnoxious, so long as they don't complain when I cheer rather loudly during the game.

BudCelt I think is only partially right, to me. His description is essentially the description of a "fair weather" fan, a fan who is only there to support the team when the team is doing well. But there's some difference between fair weather fans, bandwagon fans and front runners, but it's like the difference between superstars, stars, role players and contributors (ahh, memories).

To me (and I think to BudCelt, though I can't speak for him), a bandwagon fan is more of a front runner than a fair weather fan in that a bandwagon fan will support ANY team that is doing well, not just one particular team (like a fair weather fan). Those are the fans who went from the Bulls in the 90s to the Lakers in the 2000s, or rooted for the Cowboys then the Patriots, etc. They don't have ANY loyalty to any team, they just want to say the root for the winner. This condition is more likely to occur in a city like New York, where Yankee fans become Met fans and Giant fans become Jet fans and Knick fans become Net fans when convenient and vice versa.

(By the way, I'm not saying that's the way with all NY fans. Obviously, there are Jet fans who hate the Giants, Yankee fans who hate the Mets, etc. I'm just using it as an example because frontrunning and bandwagon jumping is more likely to occur when you have two teams close to where you live. A better example might be some Connecticut people who jump from Red Sox to Yankees when the mood strikes by pointing out that their grandfather was a Sox fan and their Dad was a Yankee fan to justify it.)

Fair weather fans do have some loyalty to one team - they don't root for anybody else, they just don't root for their team unless the team is doing really well. Some call it being a bad fan, some call it being logical and being a good fan because you're demanding good performance if you're going to put forth money toward the team.

As an example, a fair weather fan is somebody who loved the Celtics in the 80s and early 90s, then lost interest when the team started to suck and had no interest in watching a squad full of kids lose all the time. The fair weather fan did not follow basketball much from the late 90s to about July 2007, maybe later. THen, when the Celtics became good again, they supported the team by shelling out beaucoups bucks for playoff tickets and merchandise, to show the team that when they put good product on the floor, they will be rewarded with increased revenue (there's the logic aspect).

A bandwagon fan is somebody who loved the Celtics in the 80s, switched allegiance to the Bulls in the 90s, and maybe started rooting for the Spurs in the 2000s (maybe the Lakers, though I don't think anybody who loved the Celtics in the 80s could actually root for the Lakers, even in the early 2000s when the Celtics were not good). Then, this year, they came back to the Celtics when the Celtics had the best record. It's not about logic, it's about emotional and mental weakness. (there's my judgment for the day)

So, I'd say Bibby was half right - the Garden in the Playoffs is 1/2 to 3/4 full of "fair weather fans" but not "bandwagon fans." The people in the crowd didn't root for the Bulls in the 90s or the Spurs or Lakers in the early 2000s - they just didn't care about basketball until the Celtics got good again.

Anyone see this gem from tonight's espn postgame:

"In the first two games of the series combined, Bibby is 4-for-17 from the field with two assists.

But he didn't back down afterward.

'The people I was talking about know who they are,' he said. 'If they took offense to it, they must be part of it. I guess they are all bandwagon jumpers.'"

Now, while I think he was half right at first, this is the equivalent of "whoever denied it supplied it" and simply shows immaturity on Bibby's hurt and implies that for whatever reason, the Boston fans are completely in his head.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
You know what I love?

From the AJC this morning...

The Hawks have yet to sell out Games 3 and 4 of the series, which comes to Philips Arena Saturday and Monday. According to Ticketmaster, seats were still available for both games

This got me thinking so I went onto Ticketmaster and pulled up game 1.  I typed in that I needed 15 seats (outrageous number) and asked for best available  -- it came up with Loge 101, near the corner of basket.  This is pathetic.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
Here's an example of the Atlanta sports press's take on the Bibby soap-opera:

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/Bradley/entries/2008/04/23/bibby_sounds_off_but_doesnt_sh.html

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Perk's response to Bibby should be "scoreboard". 

Bibby really is a classless individual.

Never followed Bibby much save for those great SAC-LAL series earlier in the decade, but I learned all I needed to know about him last night when the Hawks were still down by only 14 or so late in the 3rd (I think) and they showed him laughing and joking around on the bench.  Sooooo, you're in the PLAYOFFS, your team traded for you specifically for these kinds of situations, you're having your second horrible game in a row, and you're goofing around on the bench instead?  KG has been on 7th and 8th seeded teams that realistically had no shot to take the series, and you better believe he wasn't kidding around on the bench in those series, especially when he wasn't doing well.

I think the Lakers must've broken Bibby's spirit a few years back because he seems to care more about badmouthing fans and screwing around than actually trying to win the game.  Seems like he's resigned himself to the fact that he can't really succeed in the league, so he's given up trying.  Too bad Isiah's not around to give him $60 million or so to join his kindred spirits on the Knicks...

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The main point paintitgreen, is that there's no reason to single out Celtics fans the way he did. It's utterly ridiculous.  ALL teams have fans like this, all. And add to that the blatant ridiculous generalization he did towards the fans when you consider that amount of loyalty that Bostonians have for their teams and the amount of attendance the team had when the team was bad.  It wasn't the best, but I'm willing to bet my life's savings that almost no other city with a basketball team would fill seats the way the Celtics did with a bad team.

This isn't a 1 year you're good, we root for the Celtics, one year they're bad and we stop rooting for them.  This has been quite a bad basketball team for over a decade.

Look at him running his mouth about the Celtics fans and look how the fans of the all-great Sacramento fans have been this year; on a worse boat than the Celtics' fans last year. And, they were a bit competitive for a good portion of the season.

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Did you know that Eddie House is married to Bibby's sister?

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2008, 05:23:23 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This condition is more likely to occur in a city like New York, where Yankee fans become Met fans and Giant fans become Jet fans and Knick fans become Net fans when convenient and vice versa.

Nonsense. I am from NY and I am an Islander and Mets fan. I will never root, even for a second, for either the Rangers or the Yankees.

You are confusing the press coverage with the individual fans. You are also confused about the pan-NY fans, like my grandparents. They are Mets fans, but they also root for the Yankees to win.

In general, it is silly to pick on the Celtics fanbase or ANY fanbase because they have added fans when they are winning. Those added fans are often not really big sports fans, but there are still more than enough devoted fans to fill the garden every night. the problem is that when they team is losing, many people, UNLIKE me, don't want to shell out the money for a bad product. The movie analogy was good. Why spend money on Pearl Harbor just because you liked some other movies by the director when that particular movie is not enjoyable to watch. Thus the terms 'boycott' and 'tough love'.

What is wrong with some Celtics fans not having enough interest in basketball to watch the team when it is pathetic? I am a diehard fan of all my teams, but basketball is the only sport I truly love watching. Because of this, I won't buy MLB.tv when the Mets are bad - why increase my suffering, especially when baseball is one of the more boring sports out there. I will just block out the sport. The Celtics, on the other hand, I will watch even when they are horrible because basketball is my favorite sport.

Let's try to understand people instead of trying to force them all to appreciate basketball the same way that we do.

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
To Bibby: An old saying my Dad used to use on us with regularity, that comes in handy from time-to-time, and that you might want to take to heart: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2008, 08:11:57 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I am sure their are some wealthy people buying C's playoff tickets and so on. It's fair to call them bandwagoners - but I don't really care. Nothing wrong with rooting for a winning team - I like this team a TON more then that team we had last year. Which as far as I am concerned was chock full of overhyped mediocre young players..

Pete

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2008, 01:56:09 AM »

Offline 2Xplosive

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
It was like hearing Barkley talk about the C's or something. 

I seriously can't stand Barkley's comments about any team. Not just the Celtics. He knows nada or at leasts acts like it.

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
It was like hearing Barkley talk about the C's or something. 

I seriously can't stand Barkley's comments about any team. Not just the Celtics. He knows nada or at leasts acts like it.

but he is entertaining as hell, which is why i love the guy