Author Topic: Spurs (4-2) at Celtics (4-2) Game #7 10/30/17  (Read 41352 times)

Re: Spurs (4-2) at Celtics (4-2) Game #7 10/30/17
« Reply #480 on: October 30, 2017, 11:29:57 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This board has gotten meaner. God forbid I should express some criticism, which btw, was based on direct observation from different games.

Maybe you guys don't understand what is important in defensive basketball. The casual gavone thinks if a guy blocks a shot and gets a couple of steals that he is playing good defense. Blocks and steals are small parts of great team defense. Russell was great because he and his teammates knew how to rotate as a unit, he understood positioning and when he did block a shot, he kept the ball in play - much better than sticking it in the first row.

He's not as bad as you make it out to be. You also brought it out at the wrong place and the wrong time. There's about  3-4 "Kyrie Irving sucks" or "I wish we had IT" thread out there to post those kinds, not in the game thread when we had the win in the bag and he was already on the bench in a game he played well defensively.

Save your condescending remarks for someone else. I am sure I have been watching the Celts a lot longer than you have. Don't try to tell me what I can and can't comment on inside certain threads. Pompous jerk.
\
I can and I will. So if you're older does that necessarily mean you're better? That kind of thinking actually shows otherwise  ;D

« Reply #481 on: October 30, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Gotta say, Kyrie was incredible tonight on both ends of the floor. He looks much better as he is quickly getting comfortable with Steven's system.

« Reply #482 on: October 30, 2017, 11:59:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta say, Kyrie was incredible tonight on both ends of the floor. He looks much better as he is quickly getting comfortable with Steven's system.
Doesn't Kyrie lead the Celtics in deflected balls and is one of the leaders this year in that category across the league? That in itself shows that his effort and improvement are:

1)  Much better than IT's and

2) Much better than in his past seasons.

Kyrie is not the same defensive player he was in Cleveland. That's obvious thus far. He is tremendousky better defensively than the defensive player he was in Cleveland. Small sample size, but pretty much right on statistically and via the eye test.

« Reply #483 on: October 31, 2017, 02:30:41 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
This board has gotten meaner. God forbid I should express some criticism, which btw, was based on direct observation from different games.

Maybe you guys don't understand what is important in defensive basketball. The casual gavone thinks if a guy blocks a shot and gets a couple of steals that he is playing good defense. Blocks and steals are small parts of great team defense. Russell was great because he and his teammates knew how to rotate as a unit, he understood positioning and when he did block a shot, he kept the ball in play - much better than sticking it in the first row.

He's not as bad as you make it out to be. You also brought it out at the wrong place and the wrong time. There's about  3-4 "Kyrie Irving sucks" or "I wish we had IT" thread out there to post those kinds, not in the game thread when we had the win in the bag and he was already on the bench in a game he played well defensively.

Save your condescending remarks for someone else. I am sure I have been watching the Celts a lot longer than you have. Don't try to tell me what I can and can't comment on inside certain threads. Pompous jerk.
\
I can and I will. So if you're older does that necessarily mean you're better? That kind of thinking actually shows otherwise  ;D

Well that escalated to ad hominems rather quickly

« Reply #484 on: October 31, 2017, 03:06:15 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

\
get off his lawn
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #485 on: October 31, 2017, 03:22:24 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Love this team! #HorfordDPOY
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #486 on: October 31, 2017, 03:41:49 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Exactly.
His defensive awareness and effort are improving each game.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #487 on: October 31, 2017, 05:33:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

\

Well that escalated to ad hominems rather quickly

Ad hominems plural?? a) i think there is probably a better plural form for hominen, not sure what it is, but there is one. I saw a tattoo on a girl I met once, under arm. She defintely had it... b) I think everyone knows that only one person made this personal.

There is one Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag here.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #488 on: October 31, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I was hoping to see Pops head-locking Baynes like he did to Simmons. But oh well. All is good ;D
That was Terrence Ross actually, which makes it even better.

« Reply #489 on: October 31, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Maybe your eyes have detereorated a bit after watching the C's for 50-odd years?  Because I can tell you as someone who actually played AAU ball and against future NBA players, and got on the court mainly for defense, Kyrie's defense is fine.  If you play PG in 2017, with more elite PGs than any other time in history, you're going to get beat sometimes. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #490 on: October 31, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Maybe your eyes have detereorated a bit after watching the C's for 50-odd years?  Because I can tell you as someone who actually played AAU ball and against future NBA players, and got on the court mainly for defense, Kyrie's defense is fine.  If you play PG in 2017, with more elite PGs than any other time in history, you're going to get beat sometimes.
Kyrie's defense is not simply fine, it's exponentially better than Thomas', even ignoring player size. Irving is actually able to stay in front of players and crowd the passing lanes -- something Thomas was shockingly bad at.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #491 on: October 31, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Kyrie's defense is not simply fine, it's exponentially better than Thomas', even ignoring player size. Irving is actually able to stay in front of players and crowd the passing lanes -- something Thomas was shockingly bad at.
Just the giving the team the ability to not help desparately when he's targeted has to help a bunch. He does get screened easily but at least he can recover better than IT can when it happens.

Add to it the opportunistic steals and blocks and its a big change. Also doesn't hurt that he's grabbing more rebounds than IT was able to on the defensive glass.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:49:16 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #492 on: October 31, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I am not ready to bash IT like that, the majority difference is still their size

« Reply #493 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Yeah fine is an understatement, he's been a plus on defense.  But the dude I was responding to seems to expect perfection so I understated my argument.  There is no reasonable argument to be made that Kyrie's D has been worse than 'fine'.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #494 on: October 31, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'll never knock ITs effort he legitimately tried hard most of the time on defense, especially given that we know he was playing on a bad hip, while carrying a huge offensive burden.

Just couldn't bother shots/passes at his size and length and teams ruthlessly targeted him whenever they could.