Author Topic: 1986 NBA Finals Game 6  (Read 7982 times)

1986 NBA Finals Game 6
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Boston Celtics 114

Houston Rockets 97

Bird Triple-Double in Sweet Sixteen Clincher

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: 1986 NBA Finals Game 6
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:51:16 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i remember this game like yesterday...i was 14 years old and my family headed out for lunch after church and i begged them to let me stay home and watch the game.

i recall bill walton got off to a terrible start - i think he had 2 turnovers that went the other way for layups.  but the celtics poured it on late.

the dagger was when bird dribbled out to the left corner and buried a 3 pointer that pretty much finished houston off.  that was an amazing team...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The last of the 2-2-1-1-1 Finals

Yup

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
actually redz (if i recall correctly), they were on the 2-3-2 format that year already...games 3, 4, and 5 were in houston as the celtics dropped games 3 and 5 (3 was close and 5 in a blowout).

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
actually redz (if i recall correctly), they were on the 2-3-2 format that year already...games 3, 4, and 5 were in houston as the celtics dropped games 3 and 5 (3 was close and 5 in a blowout).

Yeah, it was definitely 2-3-2 in the Finals that year.  Game 7 would've been in the Garden too.

Who would've thought that it was the last world title in Boston for over 15 years?  Incredible.

This game was the ultimate exclamation pointt on arguably the greatest team season in the history of the NBA and the greatest home record ever.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:33:53 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I'm still a little bitter the Lakers didn't show up for this party, but we got a measure of revenge last year.

Everyone remembers Jerry Schichting (sp?) getting into it with Ralphy boy, but does anyone remember the roundhouses DJ was throwing around in that scrum?  He was ready to brawl.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I'm still a little bitter the Lakers didn't show up for this party, but we got a measure of revenge last year.

Everyone remembers Jerry Schichting (sp?) getting into it with Ralphy boy, but does anyone remember the roundhouses DJ was throwing around in that scrum?  He was ready to brawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMnKm0fCls

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Absolutely Jeff.  I always felt like the Celts held up their end of the bargain in `85 and `87 by making it there a little beat up to take their beatings from the Lakers like men.  Whereas when the Celts had their best team the Lakers wimped out and didn't want to see us.  I remember being legitimately ticked off at the Lakers when they lost game 5 to Houston (getting eliminated on a buzzer beater if I remember correctly). 
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Hmmmm...Yeh, guess my memory is off on that one...Like the old saying goes...when in doubt just make stuff up  ::)
Yup

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Hmmmm...Yeh, guess my memory is off on that one...Like the old saying goes...when in doubt just make stuff up  ::)

See, this is proof that Homer J. Simpson
is a role model we all should cherish  ;)

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i remember that fight......even more (bc i was a kid at the time), i remember sampson being interviewed on live tv after his ejection and saying BS, lol

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

Absolutely Jeff.  I always felt like the Celts held up their end of the bargain in `85 and `87 by making it there a little beat up to take their beatings from the Lakers like men.  Whereas when the Celts had their best team the Lakers wimped out and didn't want to see us.  I remember being legitimately ticked off at the Lakers when they lost game 5 to Houston (getting eliminated on a buzzer beater if I remember correctly). 

i will never forget ralph sampson burying that last second "alley oop" shot against the lakers on the road to head to the nba finals.

but i, too, was very disappointed that the lakers didn't get to the finals that year.  the celtics swept them that season and the road game i remember that rick carlisle and david thirdkill (of all people) actually making some big plays for the bench in that game.

why do i remember stupid stuff like this?... ???