Author Topic: I Used to Hate and Now I Like Him  (Read 6885 times)

I Used to Hate and Now I Like Him
« on: September 19, 2019, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Would be curious if there is anyone in sports, particularly basketball, whom you used to dislike a lot, and have come to like them. Either because you have given the person more time, or because the person has evolved, improved, etc.

One guy for me comes to mind: Stephen A. Smith.  I could not stand him 5 years ago.  But I feel he has really improved a lot as an analyst and TV personality. He is still often silly and over the top.  But piercing through the side show performance, he is actually quite astute and thoughtful in his opinions. And fair.

Who comes to mind for you?

Re: I Used to Hate and Now I Like Him
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Same for me with Stephen A Smith. Couldn't stand him for a long time but he has some good things to say nowadays. His loudness still makes me cringe at times though. A lot of that ESPN shouting over one another irritates me.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Iverson & Mo Rivera both come to mind. 

Used to despise both then turned around on them for a variety of reasons .

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Steph Curry. I went from being a lover of conventional "stars" to loving analytic favourites lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I wouldn't say like but I developed (begrudgingly) a respect for Kobe late in his career.  My hatred for the lakers supersedes all but just the way he approached the game and the work he put into it.  Don't see that kind of commitment much anymore.

His fans just make it so hard.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 02:10:11 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I hate every one of those stupid ESPN """""sports analysts""""". All they do is act like illogical idiots to get views. They rarely ever use actual facts, and by doing so, flip flop constantly. They've poisoned much of the younger generation of sports fans.

Now for who I used to hate, I'd say Tony Romo is dude. I primarily hated him because of the Cowboy, but now I appreciate his football IQ as a sports commentator.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
For me, I would say Kevin Garnett.  I admit that I totally did not get him until he became a Celtic.  Playing in Minny I didn't see him play enough I guess.  I had it very wrong of course.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Going back in time:   Rick Barry.

I hated that guy so much.  If I have to explain why, you are too young.   Later came to really respect him.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 02:25:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Derek Jeter.....about the only one.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Going back in time:   Rick Barry.

I hated that guy so much.  If I have to explain why, you are too young.   Later came to really respect him.

Funny. Just the opposite for me. I loved him as a basketball player, but kind of hated him as an announcer.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 02:48:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Kawhi Leonard.

Last year, when he was on the trade block, he came across as an injury prone quitter.

A year later, he proved everyone wrong by leading the Raptors to a championship, while taking down the mighty Warriors dynasty (granted Durant and Klay were injured.) He also singlehandedly changed the landscape of the NBA (in a good way if you're a Celtics fan) by leaving the Eastern Conference, slighting Lebron and the Lakers and going to the Clippers.

The East is more winnable and the Lakers aren't as likely to tie us in championships this year.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Vince Carter

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 03:15:05 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Shaq O'Neal and Charles Barkley..hated those 2 while they was playing but really like them in broadcasting
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Kobe

The first year I really started following the game was 2009 and I found Kobe to be arrogant, overrated, and inefficient. Lakers fans were obnoxious and idealize him, and I thought it was ridiculous that he gave himself the Black Mamba nickname.

Now I like him.

I like the work that he has done as a retired player and the way he carries himself. I've gone back and watched the tape from his destructive #8 seasons. What I once saw as undeserved arrogance I now see as holding himself and others to a standard of excellence.

I even own a pair of Mamba Rage's that are some of my favorite shoes to play in. Kobe is a good dude.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 03:35:52 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Kobe

The first year I really started following the game was 2009 and I found Kobe to be arrogant, overrated, and inefficient. Lakers fans were obnoxious and idealize him, and I thought it was ridiculous that he gave himself the Black Mamba nickname.

Now I like him.

I like the work that he has done as a retired player and the way he carries himself. I've gone back and watched the tape from his destructive #8 seasons. What I once saw as undeserved arrogance I now see as holding himself and others to a standard of excellence.

I even own a pair of Mamba Rage's that are some of my favorite shoes to play in. Kobe is a good dude.

NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER