Author Topic: how many title teams from the 2000's would the 07-08 Celtics beat in 7 games?  (Read 3088 times)

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Shaq would have dominated the Celtics. He was an unstoppable force those 3 Lakers titles

I think Perk would have done a formidable job guarding Shaq. Shaq never had to go through a defensive front court as good as Perk-KG in the finals.

While I like Perk, I think he would've fouled out guarding Shaq. Shaq was just a monster in his prime. We had problems defending Dwight even with Perk, Shaq was way better than Dwight. I think we wouldve controlled Kobe and the rest though.
some of that "monster" ability by Shaq was because he got away with a lot of offensive fouls when he bulldozed through/over defenders and some foot shuffling in the post.   he was the dominant center in the game but he didn't need the officials to take it the next step and make him essentially invincible.

Don't sell Shaq short. He was also hacked a ton and actually very skilled and agile for a man of his size.

Prime Shaq was simply utterly unstoppable. I remember all us Celtics homers speculating if Battie could slow him down the year we went to the ECF though lol. The thing that beat that team was ego, not any opponent.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Shaq would have dominated the Celtics. He was an unstoppable force those 3 Lakers titles

I think Perk would have done a formidable job guarding Shaq. Shaq never had to go through a defensive front court as good as Perk-KG in the finals.

While I like Perk, I think he would've fouled out guarding Shaq. Shaq was just a monster in his prime. We had problems defending Dwight even with Perk, Shaq was way better than Dwight. I think we wouldve controlled Kobe and the rest though.
some of that "monster" ability by Shaq was because he got away with a lot of offensive fouls when he bulldozed through/over defenders and some foot shuffling in the post.   he was the dominant center in the game but he didn't need the officials to take it the next step and make him essentially invincible.
of course the reverse is also true, as Shaq was fouled every single time he had the ball in the post and they only called the blatant or hard fouls.  Shaq got hit a lot, he was just so big they didn't call them all that much.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
2000 - maybe
2001 - maybe
2002 - yes
2003 - maybe
2004 - yes
2005 - yes
2006 - yes
2007 - yes
2008 - yes
2009 - maybe
2010 - yes
2011 - yes
2012 - maybe
2013 - maybe
2014 - maybe
2015 - yes
2016 - yes
2017 - no
2018 - no

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

This. If Shaq entered the league today the "small ball craze" would be dead within a year. It might anyway with guys like Embiid, Ayton etc coming on.

Incalculable number of 7-foot stiffs owe Shaq for keeping them in the league..

of course the reverse is also true, as Shaq was fouled every single time he had the ball in the post and they only called the blatant or hard fouls.  Shaq got hit a lot, he was just so big they didn't call them all that much.

This. If Shaq entered the league today the "small ball craze" would be dead within a year. It might anyway with guys like Embiid, Ayton etc coming on.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

in 01 Shaq hit over 79% from 0-3 feet and he got fouled on a lot of those.  A 3  point shooter would have to hit well over 50% to equate to that level of scoring. A dominant big man is still the most effective way to score
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

in 01 Shaq hit over 79% from 0-3 feet and he got fouled on a lot of those.  A 3  point shooter would have to hit well over 50% to equate to that level of scoring. A dominant big man is still the most effective way to score

That doesn't even account for the open looks and easy baskets a dominant big gets other players..

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That doesn't even account for the open looks and easy baskets a dominant big gets other players..
Or the amount of free throws Shaq missed. If Shaq was a 75% free throw shooter he would have scored 2500 more points in his career or more than 2 PPG. That means Shaq would have had 5 seasons of more than 30 PPG and 10 straight years of over 28PPG.