C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59036 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2017, 04:30:28 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Still an F, nothing has changed.

We're the worst kind of treadmill team. The kind which gives you hope.

And y'all hype victims.

TP for still saying that despite everything that is happening right now..

Pretty much the only things that has not gone our way so far is the Lakers winning a few games, Crowder being involved (but not culpable) in the Hayward injury, Tatum's shooting woes, and IT slinging mud.

Still, TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

And y'all hype victims.

Huh??

So this team + healthy Hayward + Top-5 pick in either 2018 OR 2019 is still not a championship team a few years from now?

???
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

And y'all hype victims.

Thanks for the laugh buddy, I appreciate it.

Some people here just love to cry and complain about LITERALLY anything, and refuse to look at the positive outlook or silver lining.

Imagine if half the naysayers on this forum were Phoenix Suns fans... Jesus lol.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:18:06 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think people should view this trade like they viewed the AB trade. It's not exactly a swap for just raw talent, there were salary cap implications taken into consideration. Crowder and Zizic were salary filler as far as I'm concerned. Zicic won't be an integral part of a Celtics or Cavs title run, and this team has Tatum, Brown, Nader, Semi, etc. who can all fill the role of Jae Crowder. (And we all want to see the young guys develop).

The 2018 pick is compensation for the Cavs taking back a player that's injured, older, and expiring. The C's cashed in on 3 of the 4 Nets picks. Young, Brown and Tatum were drafted, and the last one was used to acquire a 25 year old 4x All-Star widely revered as a top 10 PG, arguably top 3 in the East, with a championship under his belt.

This trade was good for both sides.

Edit: Gave it a B

I still feel the same way. Thought it was a good deal for both sides especially if Lebron and Thomas leave, that pick will help kick-start their rebuild. This is only an F if Kyrie leaves the team after his contract expires in my opinion.

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

And y'all hype victims.

Thanks for the laugh buddy, I appreciate it.

Some people here just love to cry and complain about LITERALLY anything, and refuse to look at the positive outlook or silver lining.

Imagine if half the naysayers on this forum were Phoenix Suns fans... Jesus lol.

They would tell you how the Suns have a brighter future than BOS b/c of all their youth, promising prospects (Bender > Brown! Jackson > Tatum), and good picks coming up!  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Still an Incomplete, IT hasn't played and the Brooklyn pick could be anywhere from 1-16 or so. Just TRY and knock me off this fence! Try it!

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I dont get anyone who give a D or F here. You are basically saying, you thought IT could get you a title with Hayward in the next 2 maybe 3 years max AND you would rather that Crowder get 30 min a night instead of Tatum.

That's really how this boils down.

« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Right now, Irving may be the best PG in the NBA. He is the man on the Celtics-- a superstar.
Ainge gets an A+.

« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Viewing as a long-term investment I'd have to give it a B+, we still have years of all-star play by Kyrie. He'll be in his prime when Brown, Tatum, Rozier, and even Semi are moving into their prime.

Unfortunately, that Nets pick could produce a future star, other than that we unloaded a potentially overpaid, undersized, one trick pony, and middle of the road small forward.

With normal luck...the future is bright.

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
we unloaded a potentially overpaid, undersized, one trick pony,

Was the “one trick” playing basketball at an All-NBA level?

Whatever feelings somebody had about the trade, I still don’t understand the criticism of IT.  He just had one of the best offensive seasons ever for a guard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2017, 06:43:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I give it a B+ because Kyrie is playing and IT is not.   We have had a lot of factors like have helped us besides this matter.  The growth of Brown, the coming of Tatum.

Both these young guys look up to Kyrie, folks.  So it has some impact.

Thing about Kyrie is that he looks like he has no business getting off a shot.  Seems to move slow but somehow it works for him.   I do think IT was more dynamic.

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Whatever feelings somebody had about the trade, I still don’t understand the criticism of IT.  He just had one of the best offensive seasons ever for a guard.
This kind of thing annoys me (not you Roy). Just because you're happy with the trade doesn't mean you have to crap all over IT's game on the way out.
There are legitimate criticisms of IT (defence, putting himself in harms way too much), but calling him a one trick pony is pretty ridiculous.

I voted a C, but that was when I was still pretty riled up and not thinking straight. I'd give it an A- now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2017, 07:58:57 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

IT was awesome last year for the Celtics. There's no reason for Celtics fans to have anything but praise for IT's game. The guys tiny, yet played like a lion for Boston.

I think Danny knew his hip injury was serious. I also think that Danny was less optimistic on IT's future than you are.

If Danny thought IT was going to score 30ppg for the next 3 yrs, he might not have traded him.

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

As someone who loves the trade, and think Kyrie is clearly better, I fully agree with this post.

Not only was ITs season last year incredible on its own merits, some of those 4th quarters by him were just insane. Them everything he overcame on the playoffs, and the 53 point game.

This isn't even touching on how much he embraced Boston, and how much of a true Celtic he was.

While I am happy with how it ended up, I have an incredible amount of love and respect for Isaiah.

He will always be a Celtic in my eyes.

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2017, 08:33:32 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

As someone who loves the trade, and think Kyrie is clearly better, I fully agree with this post.

Not only was ITs season last year incredible on its own merits, some of those 4th quarters by him were just insane. Them everything he overcame on the playoffs, and the 53 point game.

This isn't even touching on how much he embraced Boston, and how much of a true Celtic he was.

While I am happy with how it ended up, I have an incredible amount of love and respect for Isaiah.

He will always be a Celtic in my eyes.

Ditto and well said.
I can't imagine being disdainful towards IT.  His season last year was not just great, it was historically great.  He's been a great player for a while now and Ainge noticed some years ago. 

I was against the trade due to wanting the Brooklyn pick in combination with not being ready to beat Golden State...and liked the idea of being loyal to IT while allowing Smart and Rozier to get better at PG...after all, Hayward is a bit of a point forward so I was ready to see lots of stuff run through Hayward, putting less pressure on Smart/Rozier.  I thought Crowder could have been traded on his own for more assets of some kind, or towards a better big man. 

Having seen the team this year, I think Danny should get an A.  What Kyrie does he does fairly easily...that's a big deal for longevity, and playoff Kyrie should be something pretty special. 
If Gordon were healthy, this team might be 11 and 0. 

Agree with above, IT will always be a Celtic in my book.  Great player.  Great heart. Great dude.