Poll

Which of the following describes you best?

Wait patiently. I have a lot of patience. I hardly note the delay.
1 (2.8%)
I fidget a bit and say to myself, this site takes more time to load than any other I use.
4 (11.1%)
I swear under my breath and silently scream out; why does it take so long to load?!! Why can’t they do anything about it?!!
11 (30.6%)
I go berserk! Swear out loud, yell at my wife and kids. Throw the iPhone on the floor, kick the dog….
2 (5.6%)
I find diversions, e.g., I sing songs, temporarily venture to other web sites, make dinner, figure out my taxes…then, return to the site.
18 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: April 05, 2018, 11:54:17 PM

Author Topic: How do you spend your time waiting for this Celtics Blog site to load?  (Read 16984 times)

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Put ads on this site and help pay for better performance.  I totally agree with this.

I do not know too many sites that don't do this. Even SonsofSamHorn added an amazon link so they could help pay for things.

I would rather not lose the ability to post here and die waiting for a page to load. Put Ads on this site!

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm missing, "I go warm up some soup, toast a couple of slices of bread, eat all that and steep a cup of strong black tea in order to have a nice lukewarm drink by the time CB loads up". Sounds like my option.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I actually ran 'celtics blog forum connection problems' through a search engine in the hope of finding more about the issue, but actually found a reddit forum in which Larbrd33 was trashing this site and saying how "we don't know what we are talking about" hahaha

It's hilarious that he made such a big deal about not posting here anymore, supposedly his choice, because it wasn't worth the effort and he didn't want to get caught up posting online anymore yadda yadda, and there he is on Reddit posting just as frequently as he ever did on here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I actually ran 'celtics blog forum connection problems' through a search engine in the hope of finding more about the issue, but actually found a reddit forum in which Larbrd33 was trashing this site and saying how "we don't know what we are talking about" hahaha

It's hilarious that he made such a big deal about not posting here anymore, supposedly his choice, because it wasn't worth the effort and he didn't want to get caught up posting online anymore yadda yadda, and there he is on Reddit posting just as frequently as he ever did on here.
By and large, the connection problems are a deal breaker when they're on; the site is not simply slow (at least to me), it's completely unusable. And yes, some of the new kids need a couple of years of seasoning before they know what they're talking about. We've all been there :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I miss that goofy guy. It seemed like he was looking at a red sky when many others saw blue, but he was original. Gotta give him that.

I find it interesting that he has left the site the moment the 76ers got good. You would think he would like to gloat after all of his hard work promoting that franchise.

Re: the site being slow- yes, its annoying. I think it is more indicative of how nerdy we are. Getting frustrated about not being able to communicate with strangers online is about as dorky as it gets. Kevin Durant dismisses us (and namely the national writers with hot takes) as "blog boys", which I think is hilarious. Seeing grown as* men get upset about this issue is like a Dungeons and Dragons fan being upset that he can't host his 40 year old friends in his basement b/c Mom is having her church friends over.

But seriously [dang it]! Get this thing working!  :P
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:28:47 PM by green_bballers13 »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I went to play Fortnite, but it said I had to wait 30 minutes as well. 

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

I miss that goofy guy. It seemed like he was looking at a red sky when many others saw blue, but he was original. Gotta give him that.

I find it interesting that he has left the site the moment the 76ers got good. You would think he would like to gloat after all of his hard work promoting that franchise.

Re: the site being slow- yes, its annoying. I think it is more indicative of how nerdy we are. Getting frustrated about not being able to communicate with strangers online is about as dorky as it gets. Kevin Durant dismisses us (and namely the national writers with hot takes) as "blog boys", which I think is hilarious. Seeing grown as* men get upset about this issue is like a Dungeons and Dragons fan being upset that he can't host his 40 year old friends in his basement b/c Mom is having her church friends over.

But seriously [dang it]! Get this thing working!  :P
Run a search for all of larbrd33 posts, delete them and all speed connections issues are solved.
We’re probably talking about several Tera bites of data .

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Cursing Jeff and Vox for ignoring their community. Seriously this is something a half cooked dev could fix in less than an hour.

Want to make it worth your time put a couple ads on the forums. I'll happily look at a Sullivans Tire or Arbella Insurance ad if these forums loaded even half the time!

End rant :)

I don't wait.

If it takes more than 10 or 15 seconds for a page to load I simply close the tab I have the forums open in and go to a different website.

I love this community, but I'm seriously tired of the connectivity issues here.  There's no legitimate excuse why Vox Media hasn't permanently fixed this problem yet. It's clear to me they don't really view the forums as much of a priority.

I think they’d admit as much: we’re unique, in a network of sites that follow a template. The few other SBN blogs that had a forum - such as Nets Daily - have shut down their forums.  We cost them money (server, independent contractors to handle maintenance, etc.) without bringing in revenue.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but it won’t be the status quo.

And to be clear, I'm well aware this is obviously about money.  And noted a while back this was likely the case.

As I said in the Cavs game thread, I'm inclined to believe Vox Media (the parent company of SB Nation) simply does not care and is unwilling to invest any resources in fixing the problem.

If you notice, there are no advertisements in the forums here, only on the front page of CelticsBlog.  My guess is that has a lot to do with it.  I wouldn't be surprised if Vox Media actually wants everyone to shift to the front page, and would rather just phase out the forums.

Maybe they do "care", though, as "care" is a relative term here.  But if the forums aren't making them money, they're definitely not going to be willing to invest resources.  This is strictly a business decision.

What they plan on doing is anyone's guess, but, as I noted back in February, I wouldn't be surprised if they are considering shuttering the forums.  It seems like it either that, or put up ads.  But someone has to be willing to advertise on the forums, and I don't have the slightest clue what the data says about the profitability of that.

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I spend it on nba reddit and celtics reddit.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Would it ever be possible to separate the forum from the SB Nation site?  I.e. Export all the forum data and port it over to a freestanding forum site?  That might require a bit of capital to do.  I for one wouldn't mind a one time shared fee for all of us to allow the forum to be disconnected from SB nation.  Say if we all had to pay a one time fee of $40 to pay for the migration of the forum is that just a non-starter?

This is one of my fav sites on the net, but if we all have continual issues with access then don't we need to look at other options?

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Would it ever be possible to separate the forum from the SB Nation site?  I.e. Export all the forum data and port it over to a freestanding forum site?  That might require a bit of capital to do.  I for one wouldn't mind a one time shared fee for all of us to allow the forum to be disconnected from SB nation.  Say if we all had to pay a one time fee of $40 to pay for the migration of the forum is that just a non-starter?

This is one of my fav sites on the net, but if we all have continual issues with access then don't we need to look at other options?

I 'kinda' like the idea. Maybe it would be easier if we continued on CB and they made it a paying site with a lesser fee....say $10. If there was enough interest I don't think it would cost that much to speed up service.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Sadly, there may be a “save the forums” drive coming soon.

There will be more details to come, but long-term we have three options:

1. Take the forums independent;

2. Latch on to another blog;

3. Close down.

I really would hate to see #3. It’s like hearing that your favorite pub is being torn down and replaced by Applebee’s.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

3. Close down.

I really would hate to see #3. It’s like hearing that your favorite pub is being torn down and replaced by Applebee’s.

thanks for the reply Roy.  good to hear that there are things going on behind the scenes to figure this out.  let us know if there are things we can do as users of the site to help out.

I would hate to see it come down to #3 as well. 

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

I 'kinda' like the idea. Maybe it would be easier if we continued on CB and they made it a paying site with a lesser fee....say $10. If there was enough interest I don't think it would cost that much to speed up service.

Yeah it was a complete swag saying $40, who knows the costs?  there might be a lot of people who might not be able to afford an ongoing pay site.  that is why I was suggesting a fee for a one time transfer of the site to a new domain / host.  I am not a web forum / data expert but I am sure there are some here.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

3. Close down.

I thought the SBNation transfer way back when was conditional on preserving the forums. I guess the plan was all along to just keep it alive while there was enough critical mass to keep the blog alive without the forum...

Option 3 will be really unfortunate. Where else am I going to find such a large group of people willing  to put up with my garbage?