Author Topic: Boston/Philly deal supposedly agreed upon; to be completed on Monday  (Read 41304 times)

Re: Boston/Philly deal supposedly agreed upon; to be completed on Monday
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Ainge has to come out of this with Butler and Hayward or this is just a failure.

Getting Jackson and having to keep the lakers and kings protected picks is just not enough

I think (hope) it may come down to this:

Would you rather have
1) Fultz and Hayward
OR
2) Butler, Hayward, and Jackson/Ball/Tatum

absolutely #2

« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2017, 11:06:31 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/876267194878971904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Celtics and Sixers trade is nearly there. Will set up Sixers to take Fultz, but most league execs say Celtics are not done dealing

And this being a precursor trade for Butler/George is looking more and more likely.

Ugh.

If we trade a fist-full of top picks for a year of Paul George I'm going to be ill.

So let's say George costs something like Bradley, the 3rd pick, and the top-3 or so protected Sacramento pick as the principal pieces, would you not be okay with that?

We'd be adding Paul George now plus adding an additional shot at a top-5 pick next year in a draft loaded with frontcourt players, which we desperately need.

I'm probably still leaning more towards keeping Fultz, but it's hard to be too mad in that scenario.

Paul George is an expiring contract and I do not trust him to re-sign in Boston, so no, I'm not okay with that.

Eh, he's not leaving a Boston team with IT, Hayward (who seems pretty much destined for Boston at this point - has to be a reason Danny went this route), and Horford to go to the freaking Lakers.

People misinterpreted him this season. He said he wants to be playing for the Lakers if he's not contending for a championship. Sure, he'd like to win while playing in LA, but that's just not going to happen anytime soon.

PG is a legitimate MVP-type talent, especially on a Boston team with several other All-Star level players to help him out.
Where are you getting this notion that we can carry 4 max contracts?

It can easily happen, especially with as many rookie-level and cheaper contracts we'll have. We'd be paying a decent tax bill for sure, but it's certainly possible.

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2017, 11:07:59 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Future Draft Picks, Trade Assets, and Cap Space.

The new Big 3.

Man, can't wait to see those guys tear up the league.

There's nothing more fun than being able to talk about what we might be able to someday do with all these assets.

Cynical Pho is back, and I like it! Time to get LarBrd back over here to really start spreading the misery.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2017, 11:08:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
What irks me of even more is even with a trade, we won't beat the Warriors anyway.

I don't understand why can't we build the superteam of the future, and instead help Philadelphia build their own. For what, to win the East and get squashed by Golden State. In the meantime, we could be maxing out a total of FOUR players in the next two years.

Why can't we just compete with a Free Agent signing, along with Fultz, Jaylen and the 2018 pick, while developing those young guys prepping them for the future.

God, this deal is becoming more bitter to me the more I think about it.

I assumed that was the plan. Being the next Spurs. Instead it looks like IT's window is now the plan.

« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If the Lakers and Kings picks are heavily protected...then what the hell is the reason for the trade? You get absolutely nothing but give up Fultz to move down and grab a suspect player like Jackson?

« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2017, 11:10:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ainge has to come out of this with Butler and Hayward or this is just a failure.

Getting Jackson and having to keep the lakers and kings protected picks is just not enough

Would you rather have
1) Fultz and Hayward
OR

absolutely #2

How does #2 happen. We'd need to trade big piece for Jimmy and also clear another 19 mil in cap space.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2017, 11:11:44 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
If the Lakers and Kings picks are heavily protected...then what the hell is the reason for the trade? You get absolutely nothing but give up Fultz to move down and grab a suspect player like Jackson?

The Lakers pick is reportedly unprotected. Either way, you get high value trade assets, preserve your cap space by not taking back any salary, and you still draft the guy you wanted at #3.

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2017, 11:12:10 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Future Draft Picks, Trade Assets, and Cap Space.

The new Big 3.

Man, can't wait to see those guys tear up the league.

There's nothing more fun than being able to talk about what we might be able to someday do with all these assets.

Cynical Pho is back, and I like it! Time to get LarBrd back over here to really start spreading the misery.

Funnily enough, he was messaging me today saying that he was predicting the same type of PG trade that I had posted in another thread. lol

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2017, 11:12:43 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

The Lakers pick is reportedly unprotected. Either way, you get high value trade assets, preserve your cap space by not taking back any salary, and you still draft the guy you wanted at #3.

There seems to be different interpretations of what is going to happen with #3...

I think it's going to get traded

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2017, 11:13:34 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Would you rather have
1) Fultz and Hayward
OR

absolutely #2

How does #2 happen. We'd need to trade big piece for Jimmy and also clear another 19 mil in cap space.

Number 2 isn't happening. The third pick will be involved in any Butler/George trade. The real question is Hayward and Fultz or Hayward and George/Butler, plus either the Lakers or Sacramento pick in addition to that.

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2017, 11:13:35 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Problem is they never use those high value trade assets for actual players

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Would you rather have
1) Fultz and Hayward
OR

absolutely #2

JPotter outlined it somewhere. You trade AB and Crowder, and I think you're right there. Butler's contract is only $15 Million, so AB and Crowder about match the salary. The extra $1.7 million in space created by moving down from #1 to #3 accounts for the difference.

EDIT: My bad, that would involve the trade of #3, as JPotter and Bobshot outline below.

« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2017, 11:13:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/876267194878971904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Celtics and Sixers trade is nearly there. Will set up Sixers to take Fultz, but most league execs say Celtics are not done dealing

And this being a precursor trade for Butler/George is looking more and more likely.

Ugh.

If we trade a fist-full of top picks for a year of Paul George I'm going to be ill.

So let's say George costs something like Bradley, the 3rd pick, and the top-3 or so protected Sacramento pick as the principal pieces, would you not be okay with that?

We'd be adding Paul George now plus adding an additional shot at a top-5 pick next year in a draft loaded with frontcourt players, which we desperately need.

I'm probably still leaning more towards keeping Fultz, but it's hard to be too mad in that scenario.

Paul George is an expiring contract and I do not trust him to re-sign in Boston, so no, I'm not okay with that.

Eh, he's not leaving a Boston team with IT, Hayward (who seems pretty much destined for Boston at this point - has to be a reason Danny went this route), and Horford to go to the freaking Lakers.

People misinterpreted him this season. He said he wants to be playing for the Lakers if he's not contending for a championship. Sure, he'd like to win while playing in LA, but that's just not going to happen anytime soon.

PG is a legitimate MVP-type talent, especially on a Boston team with several other All-Star level players to help him out.
Where are you getting this notion that we can carry 4 max contracts?

It can easily happen, especially with as many rookie-level and cheaper contracts we'll have. We'd be paying a decent tax bill for sure, but it's certainly possible.
No, it cannot easily happen. It's not a decent tax bill, it's a gigantic tax bill, and unlike Cleveland, we don't have one of the richest men in the world as our owner. 

We won't have 4 max guys. Our bench would be pathetic, and the lineup posted above has no power forward, no rim protector, and no rebounding. Still lagging behind the Cavs, much less GSW. If that's Ainge's plan, he's lost his mind.

PG is not a legitimate mvp type talent, that's a joke,

« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
So the deal is done. Apparently LAL #2 pick doesn't affect Danny's plans.

My guess he'll never make that #3 pick. It will get dealt along with that Laker '18 pick plus maybe other assets for Butler or George or Davis. Butler looks the most likely unless they can extend George.

Butler has $20M left on his '17-18 contract, so trading the #3 saves them another $5M. Butler will cost them $15M next year. Salary room for another star.

Ainge knows what he is doing. He wants to win now.

And that is exactly what he should be doing.

Even though posters here are annointing the Warriors to be NBA champions for the foreseeable future, the game has to be played on the court.  Injuries could happen to anyone at any time, so Danny can't get wrapped up in worrying about the talent level of another team...he needs to put his best team possible on the floor right now.

Time will tell if this trade will be a positive for the Celtics or not...but I have to give credit where credit is due.  How many other GM's would make this trade?

Rak

« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004

Is it?  According to Woj's tweet:

"Sources: For top pick, Sixers planning to send Celtics '17 No. 3 overall pick, '18 FRP (via LA) and '19 FRP (via Kings) - w/ protections."

Protections.  If it's true that both are protected, I'm hoping that both picks are only #1 protected.