Author Topic: Problems with the Forum?  (Read 16546 times)

Problems with the Forum?
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Anybody else having problems with the forum today and/or last night?

I keep getting wierd pages coming up that look like code instead of the finished product. Instead of a thread I get a page with lines of code (you can tell how tech savvy I am right?), what looks like descriptions for where everything goes on the page if it were to load properly. Just today, it's happened close to a dozen times now. Happened about a half dozen times last night also.

Site is cutting out when loading pages sometimes too but I presume that's because of the large levels of activity since the loss.

I had problems 2 days ago also when the site stopped recognizing I was logged in. Couldn't view my profile, couldn't reply to a post. I'm guessing that was everyone because for about 10-15 minutes all posting seemed to stop. Outside of those things the site was working fine during that time period.

Anyway just thought I'd bring it to your attention. Thanks.

By the way, is this the right forum for this thread? It's completely empty when I look at it but I was sure this was the right forum. Am I the only one that sees an empty forum here? Only three threads I think it was.

Re: Problems with the Forum?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico

I keep getting wierd pages coming up that look like code instead of the finished product. Instead of a thread I get a page with lines of code (you can tell how tech savvy I am right?), what looks like descriptions for where everything goes on the page if it were to load properly. Just today, it's happened close to a dozen times now. Happened about a half dozen times last night also.

Site is cutting out when loading pages sometimes too but I presume that's because of the large levels of activity since the loss.

I had problems 2 days ago also when the site stopped recognizing I was logged in. Couldn't view my profile, couldn't reply to a post. I'm guessing that was everyone because for about 10-15 minutes all posting seemed to stop. Outside of those things the site was working fine during that time period.

By the way, is this the right forum for this thread? It's completely empty when I look at it but I was sure this was the right forum. Am I the only one that sees an empty forum here? Only three threads I think it was.
Yes, this is the right forum for this, Who. Last night when we got clobbered by so much very active traffic, I made several adjustments to how CB works in order to help it cope with the loads. I've also made some new adjustments today as well. I recommend flushing your browser's cookies and cache completely and see if that doesn't help. Some of the changes I made might have caused some browsers to store some old data that needs to be purged.

Try that and please do let us know if that doesn't do the trick.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Yes, this is the right forum for this, Who. Last night when we got clobbered by so much very active traffic, I made several adjustments to how CB works in order to help it cope with the loads. I've also made some new adjustments today as well. I recommend flushing your browser's cookies and cache completely and see if that doesn't help. Some of the changes I made might have caused some browsers to store some old data that needs to be purged.

Try that and please do let us know if that doesn't do the trick.
Thanks for quick reply and I'll try that right now.

Okay I've cleared my cookies and cache. I'll check back to this thread in two hours or so to let you know how it's worked.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 07:07:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Yep, that seems to have the trick. Not issues at all since. Many thanks Bob.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Yep, that seems to have the trick. Not issues at all since. Many thanks Bob.
I'm glad to hear that solved the problem, Who. Don't hesitate to inquire once again if you run into any further difficulties using CB.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I keep getting this message when I try to enter threads. 

Random threads.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 134405 bytes) in /home/cbcom/public_html/components/com_smf/smf.class.php on line 341

I have cleared my cookies and cache.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I get the same message as wdleehi (or, roughly the same):

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 132814 bytes) in /home/cbcom/public_html/components/com_smf/smf.class.php on line 341

Most recently, I got that one the "We have a new star" thread.  Earlier, it was on the "Forum images are gone thread".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 132814 bytes) in /home/cbcom/public_html/components/com_smf/smf.class.php on line 341

Most recently, I got that one the "We have a new star" thread.  Earlier, it was on the "Forum images are gone thread".

It seems to be the busier threads. 

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

yup, me too
Yup

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Is this error still occurring with you guys? Most definitely let me know if it is. The error is most likely the result of some adjustments I've been making to MySQL query and page caching schemes I run on CB. Both setups are fairly new -- about a week old. I had them set at a sort of minimum baseline because I didn't have time measure them under various server loads.

I am doing that today in hopes of help us be able to cope better with high visitor levels and the sort of frantic activity we saw toward the end of and after the other night's game. So I will be fiddling with the levels a bit today and this evening in order to try to get them optimized for CB. I don't expect it to cause big problems, but we may experience a few short term ones as I shift settings upward and downward until I find the sweet spots for various load levels.

In other "Bob messin' with the site" news, some time back the CB server was migrated to an advanced version of MySQL5. It has been performing well and opens quite a few doors for us to be able to do some new things in the future. Yesterday, I also migrated CB from running on PHP4 to PHP5. This was a biggy that has been awhile coming.

PHP4 reached end of life and was deprecated at the end of 2007. The server now allows us to run either PHP4 or PHP5. That made it possible for me to move CB over to 5 without any downtime at all. It was like simply flipping a switch. CelticsBlog site performance has improved quite a bit since we moved to PHP5 and so far at least, I've seen no issues related to either it or any of the many software programs we run due to the transition.

Both server upgrades were of necessity and very desirable. The oddities we experienced today with the forum layout not showing up was due to a quirk in SMF that has been resolved. A few of the error notices some of you may have gotten were generated as I was fixing that problem. Some of the other errors are most likely due to my adjustment of our caching -- most notably MySQL caching. I should be done with those adjustments today sometime though and then hopefully we will have seen an end of these irritating little interruptions.

Meanwhile, you all have my sympathy. I'm trying to make this stuff as painless as possible but the current tech work does have to be done during various busy periods. That way we'll be able to maximize site performance for our busiest times. Again, don't hesitate to let me know of any further issues you may encounter while using CB. If you do find you are having continuing trouble using CB today, do try completely flushing your browser cache and cookies. I apologize for any inconveniences any of you may experience during this period of tweaking.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Ahhh...remember the good ol' PHP3 days?  Gets me all nostalgic.

I only got that error message when clicking on that one thread.

Yup

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Yes, I just got the error again, about 15 seconds ago. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 07:05:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I just got the same error again:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 141404 bytes) in /home/cbcom/public_html/components/com_smf/smf.class.php on line 341

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 09:05:43 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I had the same errors. Additionally, I had several other problems in the last two weeks. Since I could still use CB´s functions, there was just no need to mention it.

For example, a pretty raw front page, just black on white, with the articles in a different format than usual. On top of the page is not "Celticsblog", instead I get "Google advanced tracking modul".

Sometimes I click on a thread, and it opens a completely different thread, which is even not in the "latest topic" list, so I did not just click on the wrong thread.

It happened that I logged in, and had a message on the front page that I could now write an article for Celticsblog. That was clearly a "writer`s only" function.

Oh, and I can`t read the last 1-2 comments of every article. It shows 7 comments, for example, but I can only read 5.

All minor things, but I thought I should mention it, now that I read this thread.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
For example, a pretty raw front page, just black on white, with the articles in a different format than usual. On top of the page is not "Celticsblog", instead I get "Google advanced tracking modul".

Sometimes I click on a thread, and it opens a completely different thread, which is even not in the "latest topic" list, so I did not just click on the wrong thread.

Yeah, I've gotten both of these, as well.  Bob is working on the first issue, I know.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.