Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127371 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Just this season, coming off of surgery and the layoff, Green has a .54 TS% to Gay's .46.

« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jeff Green is a better Lamar Odom. Well Lamar Odom can be good when his motor is on too

Jeff Green has this unorthodox step jump and layup that catches ppl in surprise. But yesterday he did it twice during crucial situations vs Hibbert and got it blocked.

He has to develop a drive, stop and pull a jump shot right about now.

« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
In two year I expect the list to go

1a Lebron
1b Durante
3.  George
4.   Melo
Then a big group of simulate 3s
Gay
Batum
Gilcrest
Leonard
Green
Wiggins
Dent
Time will tell if green is the top of the 3rd tier. I expect with as a starting small forward to be a 16 pt 5rb guy while shooting good percentages and exploiting mismatches as a small ball 4. I don't know if that will place him above the likes of gay and batum.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:55 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'm curious to hear your thoughts after his second superb performance in a row against the best SF in the world, possibly ever.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
i continue to say

when JG is asked to be 'that guy', he will rise to the occasion by providing scoring. whatever way he desires.

work on the rebounding...that'd be great. work on his play making, that'd be nice too, though i don't need it.

because ykno..KD is an excellent playmaker and Dirk is an even BETTER rebounder...smh

« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts after his second superb performance in a row against the best SF in the world, possibly ever.

Going by that logic, if he can perform so well against the best SF and player in the NBA, why isn't he absolutely destroying every other SF?

The only way you can defend that is by saying he gets up for games against LeBron, which, while nice, is yet another sign that Green is incredibly inconsistent.

« Reply #321 on: March 20, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I remember the days... ...2007, 2008. ...threads wouldn't get 150 posts in them so quickly that you couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on.

Amazing how this forum has grown.

« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Going by that logic, if he can perform so well against the best SF and player in the NBA, why isn't he absolutely destroying every other SF?

The only way you can defend that is by saying he gets up for games against LeBron, which, while nice, is yet another sign that Green is incredibly inconsistent.

riiiiiight
because rondo and paul get up for every game
 ::)

and greens defender was battier, which he had an obvious advantage. sometimes you have it. sometimes you don't.

with starting and with the greenlight to essentially be that guy, he got 43 against the champs. but leave it to celtics fans to take all of that away from him. while heat fans are terrified of jeff green. smh -- i bet we forget what he did last time against the Heat.

anywho.

« Reply #323 on: March 20, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

riiiiiight
because rondo and paul get up for every game
 ::)

and greens defender was battier, which he had an obvious advantage. sometimes you have it. sometimes you don't.

with starting and with the greenlight to essentially be that guy, he got 43 against the champs. but leave it to celtics fans to take all of that away from him. while heat fans are terrified of jeff green. smh -- i bet we forget what he did last time against the Heat.

anywho.

Not sure how Rondo and Pierce found their way into a thread about Jeff Green, but whatever.

If you really want to know, Rondo and Pierce show up way more than Green does, and it has nothing to do with him not starting.

There's this thing called aggression, and it's up to you to be aggressive.  It doesn't matter if you're given the green light, you can still be aggressive.  Green, more often than not this year, hasn't been aggressive.

I'm not a Heat fan, but I am scared of Jeff Green.  Before every game I'm scared because he might not show up, and we need him to perform if we want to win.

« Reply #324 on: March 20, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

He really isn't. Since Rondo's injury his stats have been great and up-to-contract. He's being judged on his past, which is slightly unfair. Looking at how he's playing NOW, he's playing just like we want him to.

If anything, the Celtics are inconsistent. Beat the good teams, lose to the bad ones! :) Carmelo Anthony is also ridiculously inconsistent as well, so it's not that bad. Rondo definitely takes off some "easy games" which aren't as easy as one would think.

I think Jeff doesn't play lazy-ball and gives all he has. He learned a valuable lesson from the surgery and it's coming out now. He's a strong player and can get into the paint while hitting jumpers/threes. His defense is better than I thought it was and overall he plays a nice game.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #325 on: March 20, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

He really isn't. Since Rondo's injury his stats have been great and up-to-contract. He's being judged on his past, which is slightly unfair. Looking at how he's playing NOW, he's playing just like we want him to.

Strongly disagree.

Can I acknowledge that Green has been playing better in the past two-and-a-half months?  Sure.  Great job, Jeff.

It cannot be forgotten, however, that Green played pretty poorly during the first two-and-a-half months of the season.  Don't try the "Well, he just had heart surgery" argument with me because if that's really the case, Green shouldn't have been playing in November and December if that's what was hindering him.

When evaluating a player, it's necessary to look at their full body of work, whether that's their seasonal performance or career performance.  You can pinpoint any purple patches they have, but in the end, their performance on the whole cannot be left out.

« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Strongly disagree.

Can I acknowledge that Green has been playing better in the past two-and-a-half months?  Sure.  Great job, Jeff.

It cannot be forgotten, however, that Green played pretty poorly during the first two-and-a-half months of the season.  Don't try the "Well, he just had heart surgery" argument with me because if that's really the case, Green shouldn't have been playing in November and December if that's what was hindering him.

When evaluating a player, it's necessary to look at their full body of work, whether that's their seasonal performance or career performance.  You can pinpoint any purple patches they have, but in the end, their performance on the whole cannot be left out.

Sure, but it's a known fact that Green always takes time to get into a season. For example, he started pretty poorly in 2009-10 (OKC days), but finished his last 44 games with 43 double-digit games (including 30 with 15+ points). I'm sure that's enoguh to prove a point of consistency.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2013, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Strongly disagree.

Sure, but it's a known fact that Green always takes time to get into a season. For example, he started pretty poorly in 2009-10 (OKC days), but finished his last 44 games with 43 double-digit games (including 30 with 15+ points). I'm sure that's enoguh to prove a point of consistency.

Well, except for the fact that (a) the example you cite happened three years ago, and (b) there is a season and a half of Green's career between that period and the current period. What you're saying proves exactly nothing.

If you're responding to someone accusing you of cherry-picking, you can't just go back and cherry-pick something else and ignore the rest.

I do happen to believe, for what it's worth, that Green has proved himself to be an incredibly consistent player over the entire course of his career. But as we've discussed OVER and OVER, he has been very consistent at a pretty mediocre level.

Even this year, overall his numbers are just mildly better than his career averages, and pretty indistinguishable from his numbers in any other year. I've posted this link before but I'll post it again. Look at the per-36 averages.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html

I will be as happy as anyone if Green sustains this level of performance, but it's gotta happen for at least a full half season, and more plausibly a full season, before we start talking about whether Green has truly improved.

In other threads - or maybe this one, it's like some sort of zombie that re-animates after every good game by Green and goes into hibernation when he stinks - I've pointed out two-month periods from earlier in his career when his numbers were just as good as they've been recently. He's always regressed to the mean.

« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2013, 11:44:50 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If Green is putting up similar or slightly better than career averages per 36....as a bench player...then he certainly has improved from "mediocre" level (if you want to call his career with OKC mediocre, which I don't).

Demarr Derozan for 9 million per year, get out with that crap.

« Reply #329 on: March 21, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He wasn't a top SF in last night's game, which is what is so maddening with Green. The complete on/off switch his game seems to have at times. And the fact that if he isn't scoring, he brings very little else to the table except as another body to throw out there on defense.