Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127466 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
You look into stats too much. I think his game is much more refined than when I saw him rookie year. In three years, he will be places NONE of you would ever expect......

He doesn't chuck like Gay, he's years ahead of MKG, Evan Turner is not much more than a role player either if Green isn't, and Gallo/Chandler are never gonna be all stars.

I can't tell what Barnes or Shabazz Mohammed might be in 2 years.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 11:28:50 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I'm legitimately hopeful, like I tweeted today, that Jeff Green will be the player I know he can be: a top 5 SF in the league.

Think about it: LeBron and Durant will probably be undisputed best SFs.

Then, Melo is the next tier.

After that? Some names come to mind: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Nic Batum....

And Jeff Green. In the times I watch Celtic basketball, I absolutely love watching Green play. He inspires me sooo soooo much with his return and every time he posts up and makes that beautiful hook-shot, I smile. When he splashes home a three, I think of all the great things he could do.

I know I seem like I'm just making excuses by blaming his surgery... But he will get better. Much better. I'm talking about Carmelo Anthony in his prime, better. The same Melo who is one of the better SFs to ever play this game we love.

He shows flashes of brilliance with his offensive post game, his range and form are not bad at all. He has the bulk to be a decent post-defender, which even Melo isn't, and is already an above average face-up defender.

His dunks and close-range game remind me of a refined Blake Griffin, and his court awareness is just below Rondo, though it appears to be aloofness. He's hit his share of game-winners in his career and can come up big.

He definitely has the potential to be something special in this league even after the tragedy he faced and at worst, he can be an All-Star. All he needs is refinement, and.... Consistency,

Do NOT trade this kid. He will dominate.

/rant

On the positive side, Jeff Green has speed and hops to spare.  He's shown a renewed commitment to defense this year.  His length can create problems for other offenses, and he's made some big defensive plays in the clutch this year.  He can score from anywhere - in the post, slashing, midrange jumpers, threes.  He flashes good vision.

On the negative side, for all of his versatility there isn't any one thing that he does at an elite level.  Inconsistent jumpshot.  Not all that adept at pulling up off the dribble because he doesn't go straight up - he drifts.  His slashing ability is hampered by a slow first step.  Average handle, doesn't display an ability to change directions.  Soft touch around the rim, but his post moves are very rudimentary and are generally reliant on simply being bigger than the defender.  Not nearly as good on the boards as he should be with his length and athleticism. 

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I really think he needs to improve his footwork.  Right now it's poor, and if he were to work extensively on it then it would improve literally every aspect of his offensive game. 

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
He's already been a 15-point scorer his whole career..... At the least he's a top10 SF already.

Unfortunately, Pierce hinders his growth but luckily staying on the bench teaches consistency, which he has been sorely lacking this year.

Being a Thunder fan a few years back  I could see talent in this fella, and until he shows me otherwise, I see a guaranteed Allstar SF in Jeff. He can be a 20ppg guy plus so much more... 6apg is reasonable.

The one thing I don't see much in, is rebounding unfortunately for the celts.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:32 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
He's already been a 15-point scorer his whole career..... At the least he's a top10 SF already.

Unfortunately, Pierce hinders his growth but luckily staying on the bench teaches consistency, which he has been sorely lacking this year.

Being a Thunder fan a few years back  I could see talent in this fella, and until he shows me otherwise, I see a guaranteed Allstar SF in Jeff. He can be a 20ppg guy plus so much more... 6apg is reasonable.

The one thing I don't see much in, is rebounding unfortunately for the celts.

Please stop. Jeff Green is not a top 10 SF right now. This is absolute nonsense. I can't believe this isn't a troll.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
He's a top 10 SF in efficient playing.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 11:39:58 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
You look into stats too much.

What I am relying on is called evidence. You have a completely unsubstantiated opinion.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

What I am relying on is called evidence. You have a completely unsubstantiated opinion.

Evidence is overrated!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 11:42:46 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Watch a game from Green each year in his career and tell me you don't see this upward trend. If Green had his 36 minutes a night, I can see 20ppg, in two years paired with 5apg.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

You're impressed by his ability to score 15 points per game in 37 minutes? Do you know how many players in this league, particularly at the wing spots, score at that rate?

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 11:44:15 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

This is...just...well....I respectfully disagree.

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

You're impressed by his ability to score 15 points per game in 37 minutes? Do you know how many players in this league, particularly at the wing spots, score at that rate?

He could score at that rate 5 years ago, get with the program. 7 years later, he can easily achieve AllStar status plus 5apg, plus be a force. Without Paul.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 11:46:30 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
If we just had Green comfortable, with... Rondo, Lee, Green, Sully KG, I think he could flourish. Too bad that's never gonna be who Green will be with for 36 minutes,
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
He can be great in a motion offense, which means no Bass, Pierce, Bradley, Barbosa in the lineup.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
whaaaooooooooohohohoho, I'll have, what he's having.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 11:52:44 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Green is not putting up exactly the same stats as he did in OKC.  That is silly.  He will in time, but he is not right now.

2008:  16.5pts/ 6.7 rbs./ 2 ass/ 1 stl/ .6 blks (45%/79%)
2009:  15.1 pts./ 6 rbs./ 1.6 ass/ 1.3 stls/ .9 blk (45%/74%)
2010:  15.2 pts/ 5.6 rbs/ 1.8 ass/ .8 stls/ .4 blk (44%/82%)

I think he can score 20 per night as a starter and give us close to 7 rebounds, 2 assists, at least 1 steal, and 1 block.

Smitty77