Author Topic: Is Australia the new Spain?  (Read 8729 times)

Is Australia the new Spain?
« on: June 04, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
The Australian national basketball team is an up and coming force that looks like displacing Spain as challenger America. There are several players in the NBA today; Bogut, Dellavedova, Exum, Mills, Baynes, Ingles, Cameron Bairstow & more to come such as; Simmons, Thon Maker, Malik Maker, Jonah Bolden, Deng Gak, Isaac Humphries, Harry Froling. The also have an array of talent in Europe like; Nathan Jawai & David Anderson.

I think this is an impressive up and coming team in the making, what do you think? Is perhaps Canada the next U.S rival?

Re: Is Australia the new Spain?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I thought the exact same thing a year ago. However maker seems to have fallen off in the eyes of some. If he hits his potential, then yes, Australia will have atleast 2 superstars which is more than any other country in a long time.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 08:08:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Australian national basketball team is an up and coming force that looks like displacing Spain as challenger America. There are several players in the NBA today; Bogut, Dellavedova, Exum, Mills, Baynes, Ingles, Cameron Bairstow & more to come such as; Simmons, Thon Maker, Malik Maker, Jonah Bolden, Deng Gak, Isaac Humphries, Harry Froling. The also have an array of talent in Europe like; Nathan Jawai & David Anderson.

I think this is an impressive up and coming team in the making, what do you think? Is perhaps Canada the next U.S rival?

France is up and coming too. Gobert, Fournier, Batum, Luwawu, Yabusle, Cordinier, and a host of 7 footers (Corniele, Jeanne, & Fall)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/european-dispatch--a-trio-of-7-footers-233346183.html

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »

• Bill Walton

France is up and coming too. Gobert, Fournier, Batum, Luwawu, Yabusle, Cordinier, and a host of 7 footers (Corniele, Jeanne, & Fall)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/european-dispatch--a-trio-of-7-footers-233346183.html

Very true, I wouldn't be surprised if China becomes a force soon with the amount of money in that country now and communist countries are very nationalist with their sports.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Very true, I wouldn't be surprised if China becomes a force soon with the amount of money in that country now and communist countries are very nationalist with their sports.

China will suck until they develop good guards. Even the Yao, Wang, and Yi team would get demolished because their guards would crack under ball press.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If Nigeria kept its players they would be the biggest force.

Players of Nigerian descent that I can remember

Giannis Atentokumpo, Victor Oladipo, Festus Ezeli, Andre Ighodala, Jalil Okafor, Ike Diogu, from the NBA and there are tons in college like Ochefu, Gbinije, Metuh etc.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 10:03:51 PM »

• Bill Walton

Giannis Atentokumpo, Victor Oladipo, Festus Ezeli, Andre Ighodala, Jalil Okafor, Ike Diogu, from the NBA and there are tons in college like Ochefu, Gbinije, Metuh etc.

Very true, I think that one of Gianni's brothers is representing Nigeria, it seems the talent is there but the funding isn't.

I forgot about Croatia too; Dario Šarić, Mario Hezonja, Bojan Bogdanović, Ante Žižić very bright future.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I've been pretty impressed with the rise of Australian basketball - however I fear they might plateau and tail off because Australia has such a plethora of sports attracting good athletes - rugby (league and union), cricket, Australian Rules Football and 'soccer'. Many other developing basketball countries only have one other sport to compete with.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 10:19:57 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
What about Canada?

Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Nik Staukas, Jamaal Murray.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 10:29:09 PM »

• Bill Walton
What about Canada?

Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Nik Staukas, Jamaal Murray.

Yeah this is my bet that it'll be between Canada & Australia as the number 2 basketball nation in the world.

Thompson
Olynyk
Wiggins
Staukas
Murray

Canada also has a kid named R.J. Barrett who is extremely promising.

Bogut
Maker
Simmons
Exum
Mills

Apparently Irving was very close to representing Australian but changed his mind when he was finally selected for the team USA.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 07:02:48 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I'm pretty sure Al Farouq Aminu represents Nigeria internationally.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 06:01:32 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
The popularity of basketball in Australia is up and down. As stated earlier, there are many other more popular sports (in terms of participants). Many of the other countries mentioned have much stronger local leagues. Basketball is a little bit resurgent here at the moment, but it comes down to success overseas. More Australians know Simmons and Bogut than the players in the local league (NBL). Can't deny the quality of players at present but t is hard to predict if the supply will continue. Finish by saying that Australia is probably punching well above its weight when you consider the population and number of other sports.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 06:32:07 AM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
i wouldnt agree so, they need to show they can play a tactical game, until then just names on paper :)
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Australia is not the new Spain
It's been said before but the best Australian players are playing internationally
Probably because the Australian basketball league - NBL - is not popular
No one ever talks about NBL compared to the other sports leagues
People are more likely to watch and talk about NBA than NBL

NBL - is a pretty weak league
It is very basic in skill level
A lot has to do with popularity of the sport
Australians generally like playing cricket, rugby, soccer, swimming, tennis over basketball
As the popularity is low, there's less endorsements and definitely less money to be made by the players in the NBL
So the best players play internationally in NBA or Europe
This dilutes the talent in Australia's national basketball league

There are some promising players but I don't think Australia will be able to consistentlyproduce good players
Most young promising players should try develop in overseas leagues or US college basketball

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 12:19:16 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
The amount of players in the NBA is not really a good indicator for success in international play. There are tons of players in the NBA that are used for specific roles. Moreover, the reason people in this forum know more Australian players - generally low rotation players or fringe starters - than from countries with more tradition in the sport, like Brazil, Greece or Lithuania, is related to  the language barrier.

I am brazilian and i've watched Australia last 3 games (one of them against Brazil) and I felt way more confident about the national team (even with the lowest amount of NBA starters in a long time) than about the Aussies. They really need Ben Simmons or Exum to turn into something very special to be able to contend.

Bogut and Delavedova are role players in the NBA in the sense that they can do some specific stuff at an above average level. But when they are playing FIBA, they are supposed to carry the load for the team and they fail hard. Bogut was a complete disaster against China: he looked frustrated and constantly tried to intimidate the chinese players that had no interest in fighting him. He should have been ejected after one minute when he punched the face of China's 5.

There are lots of well-rounded, do-it-all, international players that are not good enough to be in the NBA (because of the insane amount of excellent american player) but that are important for FIBA basketball. They are main players in leagues like some of the Europeans and the stars of the Chinese and the Brazilian.