Author Topic: Javonte Green vs Max Strus  (Read 13483 times)

Re: Jamonte Green vs Max Strus
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Edwards read these thread during half time and decided to go off for 8 threes in the third and it is not over folks.

He just destroyed the Waters is better arguments.

Destroyed might be a little harsh...Waters did score 24 points himself, along with 7 assists. Both show a lot of promise but Edwards is clearly a better shooter - he shot spotting up, pulling up and coming off screens. Waters is a little better going to the rim but Edwards more clearly fills a need that the Celtics have for a bench scorer. Both are decent defenders particularly pressuring the ball. Which is why I imagine he has a full contract while Waters is on a 2 way.
I’d say destroyed is WAY off.  Edwards shot an unsustainable percentage  from 3 and ended up with 30.  Waters generally got anywhere he wanted to (as I said), **** 3 for 8 from three, seven assists and ended up with 24. 

So it’s basically the same thing as before.  Edwards is the splashy player while waters is the steady all around player.  I’m going to be very disappointed if we lose waters.
I know it's against what lots of people here say, but I would much rather we hold onto Waters than Wanamaker. I get that Wanamaker has the year's NBA experience and has a lot of international experience, but I feel that Waters can be really solid both immediately and in the long run. He was even doing well with our 4th stringers against Cavs starters, or borderline ones (like Nance and Clarkson).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
When does the NBA roster have to be set by?  October 21st

I imagine the 'Decision' will be announced before then.

https://www.nba.com/key-dates
It would not surprise me to see the roster cuts happen today so that the cut players have a chance to catch on with some other team.

If you want a player to go to Maine, you actually wait until the last minute to cut them so that they aren’t claimed by someone else who intends to cut them to send them to their own G-League team.  Also, with a full week until the Celtics first game, I would imagine they’ll have 2-3 more full scrimmages, for which they’ll still want the training camp guys around.  Most teams still have 1-2 preseason games left.

This might be a double edged sword. The player in question may want to be free to sign elsewhere. Guess Danny should talk with that player first to see if that's what they want. 

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 12:07:01 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Edwards is Eddie House lite

Waters is Isaiah Thomas lite

;D

But seriously, Waters seems like a more complete player and he looks like a contributor in a few years. Edwards is ready to come off the bench now and looks like a very serviceable role player.

I’d also take Green > Strus. They’re both average on defense but I like Green’s energy. He gets to the rim and can wake a team up from lethargy. A good change of pace guy who I think is more valuable than an above average shooter. Besides, we have so many guys who already love shooting threes.

- LilRip

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

;D

Green is Bill/Henry Walker lite

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 12:53:25 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

;D

Green is Bill/Henry Walker lite
Wow, I totally forgot about Bill Walker.  TP.

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Isn’t Edwards’ ability to create his own shot much better than Eddie House and more like Isaiah lite?

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think Edwards read these thread during half time and decided to go off for 8 threes in the third and it is not over folks.

Destroyed might be a little harsh...Waters did score 24 points himself, along with 7 assists. Both show a lot of promise but Edwards is clearly a better shooter - he shot spotting up, pulling up and coming off screens. Waters is a little better going to the rim but Edwards more clearly fills a need that the Celtics have for a bench scorer. Both are decent defenders particularly pressuring the ball. Which is why I imagine he has a full contract while Waters is on a 2 way.
I’d say destroyed is WAY off.  Edwards shot an unsustainable percentage  from 3 and ended up with 30.  Waters generally got anywhere he wanted to (as I said), **** 3 for 8 from three, seven assists and ended up with 24. 

So it’s basically the same thing as before.  Edwards is the splashy player while waters is the steady all around player.  I’m going to be very disappointed if we lose waters.
Why are you worried about losing Waters? He’s under contract, no need to worry about him.

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 05:51:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Why are you worried about losing Waters? He’s under contract, no need to worry about him.
Mostly because I'm not paying attention to the numbers game.  There is an awful lot of new blood; wasn't sure Waters was in the plans.

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 06:42:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

What a joke, Edwards got most of his against NBA caliber players whereas Waters got quite a few of his late in the game.   Easier to stat pad then isn't it?  I don't expect an answer but folks here like to ignore that fact.   Yes, he can do whatever he wants against G leaguers.   Edwards hit his shots against Clarkson.

Edwards did shoot the percentage this game, yes it is not sustainable but he is the better prospect.   Drafted higher more respected league.   If they did a redraft he would be a drafted in the first round.   I am sure Waters would be higher as well but not as high as Edwards.    I said Edwards was decent and can play.   

26 points in a quarter destroys your argument.    How many NBA guys have done that?  The record is 37 in a quarter and held by Klay right?   Carson "Arson" Edwards heated it up and broke open the game.   We've needed bench offense like that for years.

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
When does the NBA roster have to be set by?  October 21st

I imagine the 'Decision' will be announced before then.

https://www.nba.com/key-dates
It would not surprise me to see the roster cuts happen today so that the cut players have a chance to catch on with some other team.

Cleveland already did all their roster cuts, right after the game.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 08:37:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What a joke, Edwards got most of his against NBA caliber players whereas Waters got quite a few of his late in the game.   Easier to stat pad then isn't it?  I don't expect an answer but folks here like to ignore that fact.   Yes, he can do whatever he wants against G leaguers.   Edwards hit his shots against Clarkson.

Edwards did shoot the percentage this game, yes it is not sustainable but he is the better prospect.   Drafted higher more respected league.   If they did a redraft he would be a drafted in the first round.   I am sure Waters would be higher as well but not as high as Edwards.    I said Edwards was decent and can play.   

26 points in a quarter destroys your argument.    How many NBA guys have done that?  The record is 37 in a quarter and held by Klay right?   Carson "Arson" Edwards heated it up and broke open the game.   We've needed bench offense like that for years.
Stop being so aggressive when you're not even entirely right
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 10:23:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

So let me be clear about where I stand.  I’m not naive about Waters.  I know he has an upside climb to make any rotation in his career due to his size.  But I just live the kid.  He manages the game, seems to be able to get by his man at will and has a team mentality.  I don’t care that he isn’t playing against all stars; his game is effortless.

As for Edwards, I’m not sure what to make of him yet.  He definitely isn’t shy about shooting.  That’s fine.  But someone like him is harder to fit into a team.  Is he going to get any of those shots playing with kemba or Tatum or brown or Hayward?  Maybe over time but not yet.  Now, perhaps he’d be satisfied as a spot of shooter?  He’d be helpful in that role.  But to our it simply, I prefer the all around guy to the gunner.

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2019, 12:57:24 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

So let me be clear about where I stand.  I’m not naive about Waters.  I know he has an upside climb to make any rotation in his career due to his size.  But I just live the kid.  He manages the game, seems to be able to get by his man at will and has a team mentality.  I don’t care that he isn’t playing against all stars; his game is effortless.

As for Edwards, I’m not sure what to make of him yet.  He definitely isn’t shy about shooting.  That’s fine.  But someone like him is harder to fit into a team.  Is he going to get any of those shots playing with kemba or Tatum or brown or Hayward?  Maybe over time but not yet.  Now, perhaps he’d be satisfied as a spot of shooter?  He’d be helpful in that role.  But to our it simply, I prefer the all around guy to the gunner.
Funny. I’d rather have the gunner. Instant offense on the second unit. By far more valuable than a backup PG who’s size presents defensive mismatch challenges (yes I know he’s a great on ball defender but he’s tiny).

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2019, 06:33:23 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I can't believe this is even a question.  Over summer league and the preseason Green has an instant impact every time he's on the floor.  And Strus will be invisible for multiple games at a time and then pop for one. 

Green all day.

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664