Author Topic: Javonte Green vs Max Strus  (Read 13475 times)

Re: Jamonte Green vs Max Strus
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Waters is the best pure basketball player among all the rookies. It's not even close. 

I know this was not your intent but thanks for the laugh, that is pretty absurd.

Give me Struss, he can shoot, he has a high basketball IQ.   Green has very little room to grow at 26.

Ainge and Co.  made their choice, and they chose Strus, they have more knowledge than us of these guys.

So glad I could give you a chuckle. 

Once you study Waters a bit more (pretty obvious to me you have not), I'd be happy to discuss his skill set with you.  Your reference to him as a ball hog gave me an even bigger laugh. 

Happy Columbus Day, bro.
Let me jump in and say that I absolutely LOVE Waters.  While I haven't seen enough of Romeo to say he's the best of the rookies, color me impressed.  I think his game would age better than Carsen Edwards, who I know is the darling of the fans.  As for me, I'm not sure I like Edwards as much as most (indeed, I'm sure I don't).

Unfortunately for Waters, he is no taller than me and I know that counts for something.  But he does anything he wants out there.  And he's cool as a cucumber.  Too bad he's not three inches taller.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:06:56 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 06:37:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
But he does anything he wants out there.

Including shooting 20% from downtown.

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 06:53:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I think Javonte feels to me like a Bruce Bowen or Adrian Griffin -- a guy who comes in a little older with some experience, looks like he belongs, and then goes on to have an NBA career.  If Javonte doesn't make it here, I think he'll be picked up and will play a role elsewhere.

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 07:01:21 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Was is he, 1 for 5?  One more make and he's at 40%.

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

Was is he, 1 for 5?  One more make and he's at 40%.

One more miss and he'd be 0%

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 08:43:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I think Edwards read these thread during half time and decided to go off for 8 threes in the third and it is not over folks.

He just destroyed the Waters is better arguments.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 02:35:03 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think Edwards read these thread during half time and decided to go off for 8 threes in the third and it is not over folks.

Destroyed might be a little harsh...Waters did score 24 points himself, along with 7 assists. Both show a lot of promise but Edwards is clearly a better shooter - he shot spotting up, pulling up and coming off screens. Waters is a little better going to the rim but Edwards more clearly fills a need that the Celtics have for a bench scorer. Both are decent defenders particularly pressuring the ball. Which is why I imagine he has a full contract while Waters is on a 2 way.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 03:03:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
So, am I correct in understanding that it is basically now Javonte v Strus (and maybe that Gates dude as a smokey?) for the 15th spot?

Also, can two-way guys be promoted to the roster, and full contract guys be converted to two way guys? (I want Tremont on the roster sooo bad)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 04:31:46 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So, am I correct in understanding that it is basically now Javonte v Strus (and maybe that Gates dude as a smokey?) for the 15th spot?

Also, can two-way guys be promoted to the roster, and full contract guys be converted to two way guys? (I want Tremont on the roster sooo bad)

My understanding is that the net effect of the Celtics converting Strus' 2 way deal to a partially guaranteed deal a few days ago effectively "promoted" him to the roster. That opened up a 2 way roster spot for Tacko. But Strus can still be waived, so yes, effectively the battle for the 15th spot is between him and Javonte. Strus has a partially guaranteed deal so at least he will get compensation if he gets waived, I believe it's more than he would have got with his 2 way deal.

Not sure about the full contract to 2 way. Though I assume if it was possible, it would effectively mean terminating the contract, meaning you would probably have to pay whatever guarantees you had on the contract out before signing them to a 2 way.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 06:15:22 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

A two way can be promoted to a full NBA contract but a full contract cannot be downgraded to a two way, although Strus could be waived and signed to the G league if he passed through waivers. Theoretically Waters could be upgraded and given the last roster spot, it’s speculation that the final spot is down to Green and Strus. Danny might also look and see if anyone else is available around the league or keep that spot open for now.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 06:36:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Waters did score 24 points himself, along with 7 assists

He is nice player but take that with a grain of salt, he was not playing always against NBA starters and got most of those in garbage time.  Edwards was and did that against Cavs NBA caliber players not guys who won't make the roster.   I think Waters had about a third of his points prior to that and he is the better player.

But I really think Edwards shooting and ability to score in sports is really under rated here.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 07:32:25 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
When does the NBA roster have to be set by?  October 21st

I imagine the 'Decision' will be announced before then.

https://www.nba.com/key-dates

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It would not surprise me to see the roster cuts happen today so that the cut players have a chance to catch on with some other team.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It would not surprise me to see the roster cuts happen today so that the cut players have a chance to catch on with some other team.

If you want a player to go to Maine, you actually wait until the last minute to cut them so that they aren’t claimed by someone else who intends to cut them to send them to their own G-League team.  Also, with a full week until the Celtics first game, I would imagine they’ll have 2-3 more full scrimmages, for which they’ll still want the training camp guys around.  Most teams still have 1-2 preseason games left.

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Destroyed might be a little harsh...Waters did score 24 points himself, along with 7 assists. Both show a lot of promise but Edwards is clearly a better shooter - he shot spotting up, pulling up and coming off screens. Waters is a little better going to the rim but Edwards more clearly fills a need that the Celtics have for a bench scorer. Both are decent defenders particularly pressuring the ball. Which is why I imagine he has a full contract while Waters is on a 2 way.
I’d say destroyed is WAY off.  Edwards shot an unsustainable percentage  from 3 and ended up with 30.  Waters generally got anywhere he wanted to (as I said), Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. 3 for 8 from three, seven assists and ended up with 24. 

So it’s basically the same thing as before.  Edwards is the splashy player while waters is the steady all around player.  I’m going to be very disappointed if we lose waters.