Author Topic: Javonte Green vs Max Strus  (Read 13421 times)

Javonte Green vs Max Strus
« on: October 14, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
This league is about hitting threes and Max Strus is deadly. I have watched him successfully move up the ladder and last night was not different And then it me -he is a Joe Harris type of player and who would turn Joe Harris away. Then there is Green a unique athlete who wowed us with his dunks.

Strus seems the deadly kind of shooter we tried to get for years.
Till last night, I thought Strus wasn't in the mix but the pressure doesn't get to him and he showed it last night hitting 4 threes ..Spoiled for choice -who would you prefer..

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:23:35 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Jamonte Green vs Max Strus
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 03:58:29 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Poirior or Wanamaker would be my choices to be let go.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't see where Green's minutes are going to come from and Strus is three years younger.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
If I had to choose between Green and Strus, I'd pick Green.
Green is a disruptor and facilitator. Strus is pretty much one dimensional. He would probably play well with Tacko because Tack forces defenses to readjust and leaves separation for shooters. But, Tacko's not getting much playing time this year.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
We should remember that this is a roster spot #15 position. Obviously every position's important but whoever gets it won't be getting much playing time unless it's a blowout or there are injuries, especially given the wing depth we have. Their contribution will probably be greater in practice. With that in mind, I feel that Javonte is readier to get incorporated into some other (struggling) team's rotation. It probably makes more sense for the Celtics to release him so he can find a team where he can get into the rotation and contribute. Max suits our team's timeline better, he's young and is more of a project with some good upside as a shooter.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 04:17:03 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Dropping Wanamaker leaves us thin at the ball handler slot. Yesterday we had various lineups where Hayward handled the ball when Kemba and Marcus were on the bench, and at one point GWill had the ball handling duties. We're one injury away from being in trouble in that position.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:33:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Except they made the roster because they signed guaranteed contracts and can't be moved for a couple months.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We should remember that this is a roster spot #15 position. Obviously every position's important but whoever gets it won't be getting much playing time unless it's a blowout or there are injuries, especially given the wing depth we have. Their contribution will probably be greater in practice. With that in mind, I feel that Javonte is readier to get incorporated into some other (struggling) team's rotation. It probably makes more sense for the Celtics to release him so he can find a team where he can get into the rotation and contribute. Max suits our team's timeline better, he's young and is more of a project with some good upside as a shooter.
Yeah, we are talking about two guys that most likely, on a healthy team, end up playing in Maine most of the year because otherwise they would just be inactive for games.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I thought of Joe Harris as a comparison as well. I'd like if we traded Wanna and let Edwards/Smart play some backup PG. We know Langford can also handle the ball well and distribute so I don't see the big need for Wanna.

Our Guards should be
Walker, Edwards, Langford
Brown, Smart, Green

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would have moved Waters onto the full time roster, and kept Struss as a two way. Waters is the best pure basketball player among all the rookies. It's not even close.  And his lack of size is made up for in outstanding defensive timing.  He was defensive player of year in his conference as I recall.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 04:52:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Waters is the best pure basketball player among all the rookies. It's not even close. 

I know this was not your intent but thanks for the laugh, that is pretty absurd.

Give me Struss, he can shoot, he has a high basketball IQ.   Green has very little room to grow at 26.

Ainge and Co.  made their choice, and they chose Strus, they have more knowledge than us of these guys.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree that Waters has shown the most NBA level skill so far among the end-of-roster guys.

Green is a high effort, high energy guy who looks to me like somebody destined to have a solid career overseas.

He's a classic hyperathletic tweener.  Flashes bright in garbage time but not sure what value he adds to a lineup featuring quality NBA players.

Strus doesn't do very much but what he does is easy to translate -- he's got good size for a wing and he shoots quickly and without hesitation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Waters is the best pure basketball player among all the rookies. It's not even close. 

I know this was not your intent but thanks for the laugh, that is pretty absurd.

Give me Struss, he can shoot, he has a high basketball IQ.   Green has very little room to grow at 26.

Ainge and Co.  made their choice, and they chose Strus, they have more knowledge than us of these guys.

So glad I could give you a chuckle. 

Once you study Waters a bit more (pretty obvious to me you have not), I'd be happy to discuss his skill set with you.  Your reference to him as a ball hog gave me an even bigger laugh. 

Happy Columbus Day, bro.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 05:31:15 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
How does Waters compare to Larkin?  I think a little more green than 2017 Larkin, not as athletic, but a more natural basketball player.   I think he will surpass 2017 Larkin in a year or two.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
waters is already better on defense than larkins. i liked larkins as a 15th man. but i agree with you that waters will be better.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva