Author Topic: I still am not ready to blow it up  (Read 3584 times)

Re: I still am not ready to blow it up
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
What does "blow it up" mean?

If it means tear down a potentially contending team, that's been done for us.  As soon as Kyrie started looking for greener pastures, our contending days were over.

If it means "full rebuild, trade everyone", I don't think that's ever been an option.  We have a lot of pieces in place.  Tatum, Brown, Smart.  Maybe Hayward, maybe Williams, maybe Rozier.

The only real question is, what do we do with the in-between guys?  Baynes, Morris, etc.  Do we keep them, or move them and hope for maximum flexibility?
Based on the wording, I’m assuming he wants the team to still chase win now type vets in the offseason rather than a full on youth movement around the Jays
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
It's all about Brown & Tatum. Hayward will be a lot better, but IMO, everything is about those 2 guys. They need a decent vet PG like Rubio, and a big man who can give them some rebounding and defense. IMO, they won't sign a guy who's contract will impede them from making a big deal or going after a FA in the future.

It will probably kill a lot of folks here, but IMO Hayward will take at least half of Al's role as a facilitator. I don't think they're going to bring in a high volume shooter like Russell.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I certainly do not want this draft to be a throw away where they take guys that 1. never get on the court or 2. take guys that are not going to make the team and get stashed.

Danny loves his picks. Might as well use them all. Still maintain that who they draft tomorrow will be better than Yabu, Semi, Wannamaker, etc.

Who cares if you have a young team. Rather have guys that can play than stiffs on the bench that have never proven themselves.

right which is why i am fine with DA bundling picks to move up IF we see a guy that CAN contribute right away. quality over quantity. my other concern is are we losing value on future picks now? guess we will not know until that draft year and who can be traded for those picks in a package. there is no need to blow this up and get rid of our young guns but obviously with no kyrie or AD or KD there is no quick fix.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 01:18:30 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Baynes could request a trade, considering he likely opted in with the assumption we would at least be a competitive team.

Who knows though!

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 01:21:24 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

If it means tear down a potentially contending team, that's been done for us.  As soon as Kyrie started looking for greener pastures, our contending days were over.

If it means "full rebuild, trade everyone", I don't think that's ever been an option.  We have a lot of pieces in place.  Tatum, Brown, Smart.  Maybe Hayward, maybe Williams, maybe Rozier.

The only real question is, what do we do with the in-between guys?  Baynes, Morris, etc.  Do we keep them, or move them and hope for maximum flexibility?

I am all for moving the in between guys. Yabu is pointless. Mook isn't going to be happy here IMO. Rather develop Williams and the big they draft over Baynes taking up minutes.

agreed. keep developing JT, JB and MS, we do not need baynes or morris anymore. let younger draftees/players get that time now. but i do not want anymore draft picks that flame out. DA needs to move up and snag someone who can contribute now and COULD be a long term player if not traded for a bigger package later.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I am all for moving the in between guys. Yabu is pointless. Mook isn't going to be happy here IMO. Rather develop Williams and the big they draft over Baynes taking up minutes.

agreed. keep developing JT, JB and MS, we do not need baynes or morris anymore. let younger draftees/players get that time now. but i do not want anymore draft picks that flame out. DA needs to move up and snag someone who can contribute now and COULD be a long term player if not traded for a bigger package later.

Would love to move up for Garland. Think he could be a real asset with this team.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

Would love to move up for Garland. Think he could be a real asset with this team.

ball is in DA court. who knows what he will do. i hate to say it and I know this is frustrating for many after a 5 year rebuild but we still have to keep building. i would even be ok with a young VET who could be part of a contender here in the future. is anybody out there who fits that bill? we could realistically get? or would DA rather just use nothing but his draftees?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 01:34:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I certainly do not want this draft to be a throw away where they take guys that 1. never get on the court or 2. take guys that are not going to make the team and get stashed.

Danny loves his picks. Might as well use them all. Still maintain that who they draft tomorrow will be better than Yabu, Semi, Wannamaker, etc.

Who cares if you have a young team. Rather have guys that can play than stiffs on the bench that have never proven themselves.
I have no faith in any players being drafted this year being good enough to get rotational minutes. If they are, great, but I have no confidence players chosen at 14,20 and 22, in this draft, are going to contribute this year.

Rozier, Williams, Young, Yabusele, Zizic, Hunter, Melo,
JaJuan Johnson, and Sullinger were all taken at similar draft slots in much better drafts and only Sullinger gave the team even the slightest bit of decent minutes his first year. It's probably best to temper expectations of what anyone we draft in this draft can give to this team next year.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 01:34:55 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Garland would be phenomenal, but I don't see a path to being able to get him. Our 3 picks + Memphis? We'd probably need him to fall to at least 6.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 01:36:14 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I have no faith in any players being drafted this year being good enough to get rotational minutes. If they are, great, but I have no confidence players chosen at 14,20 and 22, in this draft, are going to contribute this year.

JaJuan Johnson, and Sullinger were all taken at similar draft slots in much better drafts and only Sullinger gave the team even the slightest bit of decent minutes his first year. It's probably best to temper expectations of what anyone we draft in this draft can give to this team next year.

Young guys might be pressed into service this year. A guy like Herro could be a pure shooter off the bench..something they really need.

Now whatever big they take will be a project...esp if it is Bol Bol

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

and therein lies my HUGE concerns nick. we need draftees who can play now. otherwise will we just grab some more evan turners and kris humphries for awile? ugh.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

Young guys might be pressed into service this year. A guy like Herro could be a pure shooter off the bench..something they really need.

we do not even know if TIMELORD will pan out to be anything other than a spot duty shot blocker. no more projects. get guys who can play now and let them develop.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 01:43:00 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

we do not even know if TIMELORD will pan out to be anything other than a spot duty shot blocker. no more projects. get guys who can play now and let them develop.

Seeing if Williams can play would require Stevens to actually play him

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 01:50:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Us seeing. The fans seeing. Stevens and Ainge see him all the time and know if he is ready or not. We, as fans, barely ever saw James Young. He never got PT. And then he was gone and is now out of the league. Should Stevens play players who aren't earning PT with their play in practice simply to prove to the fandom that he can't play?

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

Us seeing. The fans seeing. Stevens and Ainge see him all the time and know if he is ready or not. We, as fans, barely ever saw James Young. He never got PT. And then he was gone and is now out of the league. Should Stevens play players who aren't earning PT with their play in practice simply to prove to the fandom that he can't play?

yeah i even have my doubts if timelord is even on this team in a couple years.
LET'S GO CELTICS!