Author Topic: Celtics and Memphis trade idea - Tyreke Evans to Celtics  (Read 15627 times)

Re: Celtics and Memphis trade idea - Tyreke Evans to Celtics
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I don't want to trade Smart for Evans.  Next season, with Hayward we won't need Evans nearly as much and we won't have the cap space to sign him anyway.  So Evans is a rental.  Smart, although also in his last year of his contract, can be signed if we want to and will still be a useful player who can do things for the team that no other player can do.

This isn't so much about who is better, Smart or Evans, there is much more in play than just that. If you think we will just give up on Smart next season, then maybe a couple of months of Evans is better than a couple of months of Smart (I am not even so sure that is the case), but I think it is better to keep Smart so that we at least have the option to sign him after this season.

Go 1/7 for 3 and take game winning shot attempts? j/k I enjoy a good Smart fan ribbing :)

In all seriousness what is it Smart does that other NBA players cant or wont? Maybe 2-3 seasons ago we could all point to hey Smart can cover 1-3 no one else on roster can do that! But we have a handful of guys who can switch 2-4 now AND aren't a negative on the offensive end.

Smart served a purpose as a utility knife player during a rebuild who has regressed with better players around him this season.

One example jumps to mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz00F8r5s4c

There is his 1 win share this season. Both calls were borderline flops by Smart and lots of refs don't give him those calls because that's something he's got a rep for.
ok fine

Re: Celtics and Memphis trade idea - Tyreke Evans to Celtics
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't want to trade Smart for Evans.  Next season, with Hayward we won't need Evans nearly as much and we won't have the cap space to sign him anyway.  So Evans is a rental.  Smart, although also in his last year of his contract, can be signed if we want to and will still be a useful player who can do things for the team that no other player can do.

This isn't so much about who is better, Smart or Evans, there is much more in play than just that. If you think we will just give up on Smart next season, then maybe a couple of months of Evans is better than a couple of months of Smart (I am not even so sure that is the case), but I think it is better to keep Smart so that we at least have the option to sign him after this season.

Go 1/7 for 3 and take game winning shot attempts? j/k I enjoy a good Smart fan ribbing :)

In all seriousness what is it Smart does that other NBA players cant or wont? Maybe 2-3 seasons ago we could all point to hey Smart can cover 1-3 no one else on roster can do that! But we have a handful of guys who can switch 2-4 now AND aren't a negative on the offensive end.

Smart served a purpose as a utility knife player during a rebuild who has regressed with better players around him this season.

One example jumps to mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz00F8r5s4c

There is his 1 win share this season. Both calls were borderline flops by Smart and lots of refs don't give him those calls because that's something he's got a rep for.

Oh my bad. I guess it doesn't count, then.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008