Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47260 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I like the Allen move. He's a totally solid player, only 27, and on a deal that looks pretty attractive compared to what Marty's going to get. The next few days should be pretty wild, and hopefully this is just the first of a handful of big moves (I'm looking at you, Brandin Cooks and Jimmy.)
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I like the Allen move. He's a totally solid player, only 27, and on a deal that looks pretty attractive compared to what Marty's going to get. The next few days should be pretty wild, and hopefully this is just the first of a handful of big moves (I'm looking at you, Brandin Cooks and Jimmy.)

I'm part of the group that wants to keep JG10 lol.

But yeah I would LOVE to get Brandin Cooks somehow.

Saints need a defense though and I think they'd want 1-2 draft picks + solid defensive player for him (might be understandably hefty). Already turned down the #32 and #43 swap Pats proposed.

DeSean Jackson is a pipe dream. Brandon Marshall is gone to NYG.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Saints need a defense though and I think they'd want 1-2 draft picks + solid defensive player for him (might be understandably hefty).

I'm fine with any package for Jimmy that includes #12. For Cooks, I'd do #32 and one of our 3rds. The rest of my dream offseason includes retaining HighT at a reasonable-ish price and reaching a long-term deal with Malcolm Butler. Obviously, we need to find some way to improve the pass-rush as well.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Saints need a defense though and I think they'd want 1-2 draft picks + solid defensive player for him (might be understandably hefty).

I'm fine with any package for Jimmy that includes #12. For Cooks, I'd do #32 and one of our 3rds. The rest of my dream offseason includes retaining HighT at a reasonable-ish price and reaching a long-term deal with Malcolm Butler. Obviously, we need to find some way to improve the pass-rush as well.

Yeah this draft though is flush with TE, CB, DE/LB.

I'd prefer they invest one of their first 3-4 picks in the entire draft on a TE they could develop. Gronk is still a liability at this point and Allen a solid #2 option.

Pass rush is a big need but keeping Hightower at this point is priority. Without him our LB becomes a bit thin as well and we NEED his leadership on the field.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I'd prefer they invest one of their first 3-4 picks in the entire draft on a TE they could develop. Gronk is still a liability at this point and Allen a solid #2 option.

Pass rush is a big need but keeping Hightower at this point is priority. Without him our LB becomes a bit thin as well and we NEED his leadership on the field.

I'm usually not one to vouch for dumping picks, but Cooks is a special situation. He's a VERY good player (probably better than his numbers, given the egalitarian nature of the Saints offense) and only 23. He'd be the best WR we've had in a LONG time (no offense to Jules, but maybe since Moss), and he's younger than Malcolm Mitchell! Guys like that don't come around very often. As for this draft, I've just started looking into it seriously, and I'm very impressed. I was hoping that we'd somehow land David Njoku prior to the Allen trade, but now I'm hoping we take advantage of the insanely deep EDGE class.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm usually not one to vouch for dumping picks, but Cooks is a special situation. He's a VERY good player (probably better than his numbers, given the egalitarian nature of the Saints offense) and only 23. He'd be the best WR we've had in a LONG time (no offense to Jules, but maybe since Moss), and he's younger than Malcolm Mitchell! Guys like that don't come around very often. As for this draft, I've just started looking into it seriously, and I'm very impressed. I was hoping that we'd somehow land David Njoku prior to the Allen trade, but now I'm hoping we take advantage of the insanely deep EDGE class.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Cooks is an RFA after this season (correct me if I'm wrong). He would likely command A TON of $$$. As we know, the Pats aren't the type to pay a ton of money on receivers. So would BB be willing to do a hefty trade for Cooks AND sign him to a big extension?

Also, Saints have reportedly turned down other offers involving MID-1st round picks. They'll obviously want more but I'm guessing if NE has to include #32, they will want their 3rd rounder as well, and another future pick OR current young defensive player.

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW. I wake up and good lord am I shocked.

1. Patriots expect to lose Logan Ryan now but they signed Stephen Gilmore at what could be a rate of 14M/Year. I'll admit I don't know much about him but when we played him it seemed that our WRs and Gronk torched him more often than not. Makes me nervous. Will they pony up and keep Hightower though? (I really hope they do).

2. Patriots may consider trading Malcolm Butler in a deal for Brandin Cooks. My reaction: NO NO NO!!! Butler is a SB hero and has played like an elite CB the past few years. Gilmore doesn't replace BOTH Ryan and Butler. This news better not be true.

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 11:01:07 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

1. Patriots expect to lose Logan Ryan now but they signed Stephen Gilmore at what could be a rate of 14M/Year. I'll admit I don't know much about him but when we played him it seemed that our WRs and Gronk torched him more often than not. Makes me nervous. Will they pony up and keep Hightower though? (I really hope they do).

2. Patriots may consider trading Malcolm Butler in a deal for Brandin Cooks. My reaction: NO NO NO!!! Butler is a SB hero and has played like an elite CB the past few years. Gilmore doesn't replace BOTH Ryan and Butler. This news better not be true.

A secondary with Gilmore and Butler together would be great.
Whether Hightower is back or not depends on what other teams offer.
I like what the Pats did trading for TE Allen.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Patriots could send Butler to the Saints for Cooks though.  That would be freaking awesome!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/report-patriots-could-trade-malcolm-butler-for-brandin-cooks/
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 11:43:30 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

My understanding of a Butler/ Gilmore secondary is that if they can keep both, it will be dominant for years. Gilmore isn't the largest CB, but he is most definitely in the top 1% of CBs for speed I have ever seen play the game. He is an athletic freak, and there is only a few wideouts who can get past him in this league. Basically you put Malcom on the better player, and Gilmore can tackle or swat anything thrown his way. Great pickup for the pats.

If our defense going forward is based around Hightower/Butler/Gilmore/ Devin Mc, then the pats defense is set for years. Our secondary is up there with the Broncos as the best in the league at that point. I also agree with the Allen trade. It is great.
#JKJB

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Im at the point where we could trade any player including Brady and I wouldn't care because I know we'd go at least 12-4 and at least make the conference championship.

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I like the Gilmore signing. He's a top athlete that has had many good NFL games.

I would rather have Butler play for a year then leave via FA than overpay Brandin Cooks. Cooks doesn't seem like a Patriots signing. They have already committed enough money to their WRs/TEs. I'd rather see the Patriots sign a FA offensive lineman.

I like the Allen trade. He should be a good addition and possibly be a breakout candidate, esp. if Gronk misses more time.

Re: Butler, I think they should sign him and pass on Hightower. I'd rather they go after LBs and have a stout secondary. Apparently Hightower might get close to $20m per year, which is nuts.

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Im at the point where we could trade any player including Brady and I wouldn't care because I know we'd go at least 12-4 and at least make the conference championship.

Yeah, lets aim to be the Colts.

The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Yeah, lets aim to be the Colts.

He said Tom Brady. Not Peyton Manning. Brady is more likely than not to make the AFC championship game (he's made 11/17). I believe Manning went to 5 (has a better winning % though).

The Patriots need to bulk up the offensive line to keep Brady's run as long as possible. The Gilmore signing gives them a top talent at a very important position. I think they're going to go through the negotiation process with Butler. Much like with Jimmy G, they can get draft picks with a trade. Good flexibility.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:44:45 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
On board with their moves so far.  Would like to see them take care of their own now with Hightower & Butler.

I don't think they're as needy at the WR position as made out to be although they could certainly get younger at the position. 

Draft seems to be pretty loaded on the defensive side of the ball so I wonder how much they'll address edge rushers there versus what's out there on the FA market. 

They've also sneakily being masterful at navigating the cap right now which is flying under the radar.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team