Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 82331 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Sources: #Dodgers discussing Mookie Betts with the #RedSox at least as much as they are Francisco Lindor with the #Indians. Boston could combine Betts and Price in a deal that nets the Red Sox a prospect and salary relief.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1212853673891696642

Sheesh, just sell the team.

Any owner that is OK trading a MVP caliber player in his prime for "salary relief" should be immediately forced to sell the team.

What an awful scenario in that tweet—trade one of the top 5 players and all you get in return is A prospect and salary relief? Ridiculous. Better than losing him for nothing in free agency, but good grief, that would still be horrible. You should be able to get a good haul for a player like Mookie. I hate the idea of teams paying $300M+ for any player, but at least Mookie is still only 27 and should have quite a few great seasons left.

Here's a hypothetical scenario (trade idea) I created on Reddit and will paste here:

Boston eats up about 30M off Price's deal (making it from 3/96M to 3/66M)

Then you trade Betts + Price (and 30M) for J. Pederson, Keibert Ruiz, and maybe 2 more non-Lux prospects.

Dodgers take back Price for a remaining 3/66M. Pederson essentially fills an outfield spot that is there when Betts departs. And Boston gets back 2-3 prospects, including 1 blue chip in Ruiz (ranked #33 in all of baseball, Dodgers 3rd best prospect). Boston could eat up a bit more of the deal, but they shouldn't need to eat up half of his entire contract. If you don't want Ruiz, swap him with May (another top prospect of theirs)

Btw, I'm not at all advocating we trade Betts. I'd prefer we trade Price and then salary dump JBJ and his 11M. But if they're going to trade Betts regardless, then that package deal sounds good. And maybe instead of the "2 more prospects", you can get 1 more non-Lux prospect and then also try to get someone like Maeda who would then be in our rotation to replace Price (Sale/ERod/Maeda/Eovaldi/Perez)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:36:30 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2020, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know the Dodgers would be eating a lot of salary but this is a move which should get them a WS championship. I would ask for Lux, their #1 pitching prospect.

« Reply #272 on: January 02, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I know the Dodgers would be eating a lot of salary but this is a move which should get them a WS championship. I would ask for Lux, their #1 pitching prospect.

They've been adamant that they don't want to deal Lux, period. Not for Lindor. Not even for Betts.

Also, Betts is a rental for 2020, so that factors in too. If Betts had multiple years of control left in addition to Price, I think maybe they would swallow the pill and deal Lux (maybe).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #273 on: January 02, 2020, 09:46:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

They've been adamant that they don't want to deal Lux, period. Not for Lindor. Not even for Betts.

Also, Betts is a rental for 2020, so that factors in too. If Betts had multiple years of control left in addition to Price, I think maybe they would swallow the pill and deal Lux (maybe).
That's what LA says now. If the Sox say no and enter the season with Betts, LA might get more desperate mid season, especially if Betts is balling. That would be my hope.

« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2020, 02:03:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Even if they get desperate, they aren’t giving up Lux for a season of Betts. And I really don’t see how this deal makes them better than the Yankees.

Yankees could have one of the best offenses ever assembled (we still haven’t seen a healthy Judge/Stanton/Sanchez season, along with another year of growth from Torres), and now arguably the deepest pitching staff in the league. Who has a better rotation then them? Who has a better bullpen then then? Who has a better rotation AND bullpen?

Dodgers fans would be (rightfully) irate if they gave up Lux for a possible (presumable?) rental of Betts that still doesn’t result in a championship.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2020, 02:04:30 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Most of the guys I work with are Dodgers fans—if the Dodgers got Lindor or Betts and DIDN'T win the World Series, my coworkers would be apoplectic. After seeing their team reach (and lose) two straight World Series, they're kind of afraid of the Dodgers even making the World Series again! Like, if they got there a third time and lost again, my friends couldn't take it. LOL
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its going to be fun to see all the Mookie hit pieces fly out in 2 hours after the trade since the Red Sox have pre-written them for guys.

I really can't believe its gotten this far.

« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
·
30m
MLB has begun their investigation into the #Redsox today, and Alex Cora likely will be suspended at least one year by the time it concludes.

Things just keep getting better for the Sox.  Cost cutting owner, likely to lose the signature star of the team, and now their most recent WS is likely tainted by cheating and the manager is probably going to get suspended.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
·
30m
MLB has begun their investigation into the #Redsox today, and Alex Cora likely will be suspended at least one year by the time it concludes.

Things just keep getting better for the Sox.  Cost cutting owner, likely to lose the signature star of the team, and now their most recent WS is likely tainted by cheating and the manager is probably going to get suspended.

I'm sure Henry will use the Globe to provide another timely Patriots hit piece, though, to distract from what is about to happen to the Sox organization.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2020, 03:11:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale
·
30m

My Dodger fan friends are not amused.

« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:49 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1216813719805669383?s=20

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
Jim Crane just fired Jeff Luhnow and AJ Hinch.

Hinch just got fired. Cora seems like he's on his way out after the penalties get dished out.

« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
And they've been fired. Good to know that the Manager and GM are just as disposable parts just like all their other employees. Consistent ethos at least  ::).

« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Here are my thoughts:

1. Cora is now in the center of two cheating scandals. He apparently was the "orchestrator" of the Astros one, and obviously was the manager during the 2018 Red Sox one. Both teams won the World Series that year, so the MLB definitely is not going to go lightly on Cora.

2. You need to keep Cora until after the penalties are dished out, you can't fire him beforehand. Otherwise, the only way the MLB can punish you is through draft picks and fines.

3. Based on the precedent just set by Houston, Cora will likely be fired after the penalties are handed down--especially if the suspension is for 2+ years. There's no reason waiting for Cora to come back when you can move along with another guy and hope to see him successful in the role. (Jason Varitek!!?)

« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sucks for Hinch who Manfred said didn't support the system and even damaged the monitor on two occasions.  Now he not only gets suspended for a year, but gets fired also. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Sucks for Hinch who Manfred said didn't support the system and even damaged the monitor on two occasions.  Now he not only gets suspended for a year, but gets fired also.

I don't necessarily buy that excuse. If you're the manager of the team, you call a meeting and say "cut the crap, boys" if you want something to stop. You don't throw a hissyfit and smash a TV monitor.

Seems like he was looking for some exculpatory evidence and that's what he made up.