Author Topic: Bill Laimbeer + Dennis Rodman + Ron Artest = Elizabeth Lambert  (Read 23249 times)

Re: Bill Laimbeer + Dennis Rodman + Ron Artest = Elizabeth Lambert
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's a reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQ8nqP7rl8

As JVG says, if you're going to get back at somebody, you do it when you're up 30 and it's not going to cost the team.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:03 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I wonder if by any chance Ms. Lambert grew up playing youth soccer in Scituate....

http://deadspin.com/5192302/massachusetts-girls-soccer-coach-resigns-over-hilarious-possibly-insane-email

hahaha... TP! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Good find blackbird!

Ya im reading this too, its pretty awesome.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees right?

Okay, a question for you.  The Celtics are playing the Cavs in the Eastern Conference Finals.  Anthony Parker is constantly taking cheap shots at Pierce, and they're not being called.

In a close game, should Pierce haul off and deck him?  Should Doc sub in somebody else to go head-hunting?  Or, do you think that maybe the Celtics should stay focused and just win the game?
No. You send in McHale to clothesline him.

Actually I like fafnir's points below. And I don't know if I exactly equate what this girl was doing to "cheapshots". If all out assault is a cheap shot and the refs aren't calling it then I'm at least sending out my own instructions to use cheap shots.

Better yet I'm using cheap shots on her teammates. Like baseball. You hit my guy. I hit yours.

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Here's a reminder:

That wasn't dirty! You can't compare that to punching people in the back, or face, or pulling people down by their hair. Those two situations are not comparable at all!

How about reading the thread to actually figure out what I'm actually talking about?

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2009, 02:30:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Here's a reminder:

As JVG says, if you're going to get back at somebody, you do it when you're up 30 and it's not going to cost the team.

But as I said, no need to go to the extremes you're planting. There are always ways to get even. Like a kick in the shins under the guise of going for the ball for instance. Nothing blatantly dirty, but enough to get some respect going towards your team and make the girl think twice about keeping the crap up.

There's only one ref, you can get away with plenty of things... as you can tell by the clip.

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2009, 02:39:35 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I saw this and was disgusted by it.  That is the worst officiating I've ever seen in my life in any sport.  How she only got a yellow card is amazing.  Plain awful.
do it

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I would start watching women's soccer if it was always like this. Keep up the good work!

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I saw this and was disgusted by it.  That is the worst officiating I've ever seen in my life in any sport.  How she only got a yellow card is amazing.  Plain awful.

I think it's because Earl Hebner was the guest referee, MBz.

It does kind of add a professional wrestling entertainment element to the most dreadfully boring game to watch in sports.

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:11 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
She got kicked off the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4629837

That's a shame. She should have just sat out during the first half of the next game. That's what they do at Florida.

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2009, 04:17:26 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't know if anybody on here has been watching SportsCenter at all today but wow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52QWFeP7OY

BYU.

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
She got kicked off the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4629837

TP.

From that article...

"Liz is a quality student-athlete, but in this instance her actions clearly crossed the line of fair play and good sportsmanship," Vela said.

"Liz's conduct on the field against BYU was completely inappropriate," said Paul Krebs, New Mexico's vice president for athletics. "There is no way to defend her actions."

If the VP for Athletics at New Mexico can't defend her actions why are people on celticsblog trying to?

TP to blackbird for the story. I wasn't expecting that at all.

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm only commenting as a response to those who are dissing these BYU girls for not fighting back:

Life is bigger than sports. I'm familiar enough with BYU students (mostly Mormons) to know that they are ultimately people attempting (even if very imperfectly) to live lives modeled after the principles taught by Jesus Christ. The first thought I had after seeing this video was that those BYU girls exemplified the principle of "turning the other cheek" during that game. Like RAcker and others have noted, I'm sure the BYU girls weren't exactly innocent (we saw at least one elbow thrown by a BYU girl), but they did seem to stay above the fray when Lambert got dirty.

Regardless of how much value exists in having a competitive spirit and standing up for yourself (both in sports and in life), it ultimately does not outweigh the value of treating others with kindness and respect - even if they don't deserve it.

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I'm only commenting as a response to those who are dissing these BYU girls for not fighting back:

Life is bigger than sports. I'm familiar enough with BYU students (mostly Mormons) to know that they are ultimately people attempting (even if very imperfectly) to live lives modeled after the principles taught by Jesus Christ. The first thought I had after seeing this video was that those BYU girls exemplified the principle of "turning the other cheek" during that game. Like RAcker and others have noted, I'm sure the BYU girls weren't exactly innocent (we saw at least one elbow thrown by a BYU girl), but they did seem to stay above the fray when Lambert got dirty.

Regardless of how much value exists in having a competitive spirit and standing up for yourself (both in sports and in life), it ultimately does not outweigh the value of treating others with kindness and respect - even if they don't deserve it.
TP and more well-spoken than any of my comments.