Author Topic: Westbrook for Wall and 1st - DONE  (Read 9934 times)

Re: Westbrook for Wall and 1st - DONE
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2020, 11:24:09 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Is it possible for both teams to lost this trade?

The Celtics lost this "trade" because it made an eastern conference foe stronger, a low-seeded playoff team.
Hahahahahahahahah
of course, the true winners of this deal are the strip clubs and poker rooms of houston.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2020, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
BTW, in August Wall looked to be moving pretty well.  Obviously not game action, but doesn't look like a guy that is struggling with an injury either.

https://twitter.com/swishcultures_/status/1290095635463462913

I’d be shocked if he came back anywhere near the player he was. He had two very debilitating injuries back-to-back. Klay Thompson is in the same boat, only Klay relies on his elite shooting, not elite speed/athleticism like Wall.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2020, 11:28:04 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Is it weird that I actually prefer Wall over Westbrook at this point in their careers? I think Westbrook brings very little value to better and better teams while Wall still has his passing and defence that can help high level teams (he can also shoot the midrange well for some floor spacing).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2020, 11:29:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
BTW, in August Wall looked to be moving pretty well.  Obviously not game action, but doesn't look like a guy that is struggling with an injury either.

I’d be shocked if he came back anywhere near the player he was. He had two very debilitating injuries back-to-back. Klay Thompson is in the same boat, only Klay relies on his elite shooting, not elite speed/athleticism like Wall.
That clip looked really good though (like yeah maybe Wall isn't stupidly athletic nowadays, but how many point guards can do 360s with ease like that?).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2020, 11:52:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That clip looked really good though (like yeah maybe Wall isn't stupidly athletic nowadays, but how many point guards can do 360s with ease like that?).
I'd need to see footage of him sprinting. His speed was transcendent, and is what allowed his vertical to be useful.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2020, 11:52:49 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is it weird that I actually prefer Wall over Westbrook at this point in their careers? I think Westbrook brings very little value to better and better teams while Wall still has his passing and defence that can help high level teams (he can also shoot the midrange well for some floor spacing).

The way I remember Westbrook’s season ending was with turnovers, air balls , and bad hero ball. That’s why you might prefer the guy who hasn’t played. Wall has a lot of the same flaws as Westbrook, as I remember from playoffs past, but it’s further in the past so Wall seems more desirable.

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2020, 12:05:35 AM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
Houston, we have a problem...                 ;D

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2020, 12:13:21 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Man, that deal is going to kill Houston. Houston is done. Harden is leaving. 12 months from now, Harden is out the door.

Wall is finished. Torn achilles for a speedy guard who over-relies on his athleticism and has failed to further develop his skill-level for years? No way. He's not coming back anywhere near where he left off of.

Houston is done and Harden is out the door 12 months from now.

Yeah, hard to imagine Harden staying in Houston and the West remains stacked (LAC, LAL, DEN).  Even if he makes a miraculous return from achilles injury, he's a poor shooter who struggles in the playoffs.  This also leaves Houston paying out his salary of 41 - 44- 47 million over the next 3 years. 

Westbrook is arguably even worse in the playoffs with his shooting & decision-making, he's older, and signed essentially the same contract as Wall.  And the East keeps getting better (BOS, MIL, MIA, PHI).

Looks like a lose-lose for both teams, though it's easy for us to underestimate the difficulty of acquiring all-stars from our armchairs.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2020, 12:16:05 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Boogie and Wall, together again.
I always thought they were  a good tandem and complement each other well. It feels like a very long time ago watching these 2 together in Kentucky

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2020, 12:59:33 AM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Wall was a man down here in dc.  He showed up to every charity obligation    He would have been a Celtics legend. 

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2020, 06:43:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Wall was a man down here in dc.  He showed up to every charity obligation    He would have been a Celtics legend.

and another crippled max player to deal with in short order.

Here is a trade ...one with no legs for one with no brains

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2020, 07:42:18 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Have to wait and see bout how this trade plays out..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Any way Celtics can help this deal out and get Christian WOod?

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Wood
Thompson

I really like that lineup while Kemba is hurt.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2020, 08:30:18 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Any way Celtics can help this deal out and get Christian WOod?

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Wood
Thompson

I really like that lineup while Kemba is hurt.

No.

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2020, 08:47:06 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Not sure if there is a winner in this trade....wonder how Bradley Beal feels about this and if he'll push his way out of Washington now???

If you believe Bill Simmons, Beal has been pushing for this trade to happen.

Wall and Beal definitely aren’t fans of one another.  I think he’ll like Westbrook even less.

I've definitely gotten that vibe, that they just tolerated each other. Also didn't help that Wall referred to Beal as his sidekick.

I think Russ and Beal can work. Kind of like how Russ and Paul George played together.

You would hope that after failing in so many places Westbrook at some point will look at himself and make a change for the better, but some people never change.

Lol. This is his third team. He didn't fail in OKC - unless you consider winning an MVP a failure. And I don't think he failed in Houston. He was 3rd team All-NBA last year.

I know some people don't like his style of play, but there's this irrational hatred for him I don't get.
It more the fact that he's consistently terrible in the playoffs, and his boneheaded shot taking.

Yeah, it's his inability to understand how to win and do what's best for team success rather than individual accolades.

He definitely should have signed with the team that knocked him out of the playoffs like Durant. I'm sure that would have silenced the haters.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.