Author Topic: I feel like the storm is over  (Read 7234 times)

Re: I feel like the storm is over
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
If we go on a losing streak .....see how Irving and CBS pull the team together .

its stablized because Irving is caring the load .

The Harward and Rozier situation needs to resolve itself .CBS needs to stop ducking the problems and get with the program.

Hayward and Rozier really are a problem. Both terrible against Miami last night - really bad. I want to believe Hayward is going to pull out of this, but I am losing faith it will happen this year. Right now, if I had one game to win and wasn't thinking about possible future development, I would rather have Semi on the court than Hayward. Hayward just isn't one of their best 8-9 players.

And some of us Celtics fans had the nerve to put Hayward back in in last year's playoff games had he been cleared to play.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I have to say that of all the teams above us right now Philly is the one I fear least - and it's not close. Simmons is too easy for us to scheme for, and he seems to fade in crunch time of big games. Embiid, too, has given them nothing against us in the clutch (he may be strong all game, but by the end he's either gassed or feeling the pressure; Al just owns him). Sure there's Jimmy Butler, but did you see Tatum erase him last time the teams played? Tatum seems ideal for guarding Butler - quick enough to stay in front and long enough to bother the fadeaway. There's just nobody on Philly who scares me, or who can defend Kyrie.

I think back to the playoff series last year.

The Celts won in 5, but Games 2, 3, and 5 were really close.

So if the Sixers started the series at home, that's probably a 1-1 split heading into Boston, and if the Sixers managed to win one on the road, they'd have Game 5 at home to go up 3-2.

Basically, I look at it like the Sixers are one year more experienced, and it's a lot easier to go on the road for Games 3 and 4 than for Games 1 and 2 (in my opinion).  Plus the Sixers have an extra isolation scoring option in crunch time that they didn't have last year.

Of course, the Celts will (hopefully) have Kyrie, so maybe that makes all the difference.

Still, I think it's far from guaranteed that they'd beat Philly on the road, which means that if the standings hold, the Celts have a decent chance of having their season end in the 1st round.

That would be a disaster.

I agree, I think everyone is overrating us against Philly because of what happened in the playoffs last year. I don't think it's going to be easy if they have homecourt advantage over us.

Just look at the Christmas game when they were on our court. It took major heroics from Kyrie in OT to pull that game out.

Well, not just the Christmas game (although late game heroics is kind of what Kyrie does, not a freak occurrence or a fluke). We also handled them easily in the opening day game, and they have been inconsistent about the same way we have. I am going by the matchups, and I am going by the players on other teams. Philly has obvious limitations which we are ideally positioned to exploit. It’s basketball, so there are no guarantees, but Philly would go Into that series a clear underdog.

If you had to choose between playing Toronto or Milwaukee on one hand and Philadelphia on the other, is it at all difficult to say that you would rather play Philadelphia? To me it’s dead simple.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Sixers is the easiest to deal, it's very obvious

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Come playoff time, besides GSW, the other team everyone is going to want to avoid is Boston. Whether they have the 1 seed or the 4 seed, teams are going to want to avoid them, as I think this team will be hitting it's best stride and will have shown they have no problem coming up big against the better and best teams.

And really, that's all that matters.

First 20 games....10-10....   0.500.
Since then.... 19-8....   .703. Some perspective, GSW has been playing at .702 for the year.
C's have one of the easiest sections of their schedule over the next 3 weeks or more. Everyone is healthy. This team is going to have a great run to the playoffs.

No sense grumbling over the first half of season. Yes, I think things have been turned around. Not every game will be pretty. But I am tremendously positive of what this team will do from now all the way through the playoffs.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 07:51:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

C's have one of the easiest sections of their schedule over the next 3 weeks or more. Everyone is healthy. This team is going to have a great run to the playoffs.

I don't necessarily disagree with this optimism about the record the rest of the way.

However, if the Celts win 70% of their remaining games, they will finish with 53 wins.

The Bucks and Raps have already been winning more than 70% of their games so far this season.  If they continue at a 70% pace, they'll exceed the Celts' win total by 4-5 wins.

The Pacers will finish a game or two ahead of the Celts if they manage a 65%+ win percentage the rest of the way.

The Sixers will be neck and neck with the Celtics if they manage to win around 65-70% of their games.

So the Celts probably don't have any real hope of getting a top 2 seed at this point, and they'll need either the Pacers or Sixers to fall well off of their pace so far in order to end up with the 3rd seed.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't necessarily disagree with this optimism about the record the rest of the way.

However, if the Celts win 70% of their remaining games, they will finish with 53 wins.

The Bucks and Raps have already been winning more than 70% of their games so far this season.  If they continue at a 70% pace, they'll exceed the Celts' win total by 4-5 wins.

The Pacers will finish a game or two ahead of the Celts if they manage a 65%+ win percentage the rest of the way.

The Sixers will be neck and neck with the Celtics if they manage to win around 65-70% of their games.

So the Celts probably don't have any real hope of getting a top 2 seed at this point, and they'll need either the Pacers or Sixers to fall well off of their pace so far in order to end up with the 3rd seed.
I didn't say it but I think the C's will finish the year better than .700 so even if the other teams play at a .700 rate they will still lose games to the Celtics. I also, don't see all 4 teams in front of the Celtics maintain their winning pace.

I think the 3rd seed is very attainable.

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't see the Raps and Bucks falling that far off their pace so far, unless Giannis or Kawhi miss major time.

The Pacers seem like they could go .500 for the second half of the season and it wouldn't be a shock.  But then again, Oladipo hasn't been very healthy so far.

The Sixers I could go either way ... could see them struggling due to chemistry issues, could also see them put together a run where they win 20/25 games or something.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 09:23:57 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I don't think the storm will be over until the Celts can find a way to score inside the paint on a regular basis.

The pattern is very clear, if the Celts shoot well from 3-pt land, they usually win.

If the Celts struggle shooting 3s, they usually lose.

Celts need some diversity on offense.
If the Celts get a big man like Vucevic, it will make life easier for Kyrie.
Kyrie does not have to score a lot all the time.

Inside-outside basketball is the key.
The Heat were pretty good with Adebayo.
Celts had no answer for Adebayo.
But the Heat don't have a player like Kyrie.
That was the difference in that game.

Kyrie has been scoring inside the paint on a regular basis for a while now. For example last night he had three straight layups down the stretch to put the Heat away

True.

I'm a big Kyrie fan so it's a given that I love it every time Kyrie drives and scores.

But the Celts can't be all Kyrie.

Last season the Cavs with Lebron couldn't even win one game against GSW.
And Lebron was unstoppable in that finals.

Celts need diversity on offense.

What if Kyrie has an off-night?

I think the current Celts team can beat any team, except GSW.

To beat GSW, we need more than just Kyrie.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
If you are suggesting that the chemistry issues are over, I can buy that. The issues with the bench (Rozier and Hayward) are not over. Also the team is much too three point dependent. I don't think this team beats Toronto or Milwaukee unless Hayward and Rozier help the bench play at a consistent level that we have not seen.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 06:20:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I didn't say it but I think the C's will finish the year better than .700 so even if the other teams play at a .700 rate they will still lose games to the Celtics. I also, don't see all 4 teams in front of the Celtics maintain their winning pace.

I think the 3rd seed is very attainable.
Have you actually looked at the schedule.  The C's went 10-10 during a difficult stretch and it has been much easier since then.  The next 11 have 8 at home (though that includes GS, OKC, and both LA teams) and the 3 road games are NY, CLE, and then Philly.  So winning at the 70% pace is a real possibility.  After that though, the next 11 games is a very difficult stretch that has 7 on the road including a 4 game west coast trip and the 4 home games are DET, POR, WAS, HOU.  Boston very easily could be under .500 in that stretch, though the last 14 have an even mix of home and road and are generally easier games in which Boston could get back to high level winning.

The schedule matters and Boston has generally been winning games at a pace that is indicative of the strength of its schedule. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2019, 12:13:50 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
We have a pretty cushy ride to the all-star break. Warriors once, the Thunder: we could be knocking on the Milwaukee/Toronto door by the break.

I'd like to see Gordon have another 3 or 4 really strong games.

11 more games, and 9-2 or 10-1 doesn't seem unrealistic.

5 more games until the break. My 10-1 prediction since Jan 22 is sitting at 6-1. Still confident.

Gordon still working his way back slowly - just needs to keep gaining confidence.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2019, 12:36:20 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We are the storm.

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2019, 12:43:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
We are the storm.

TP I love that quote  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2019, 01:38:09 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I'd rather choose Raptors to play in playoffs (over Bucks and Sixers). We know their best bastketball is in regular season, after that they are slowing. Yet, Celtics, as season progresses, they play better and better.

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2019, 01:54:26 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Alright time to win a championship this year, Boston Celtics.

Be the first in major league history to have one city bring home three or four championships in one year!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)