Poll

Well is he?

Yes, he is a minister of defence shooting 37% from downtown.
8 (53.3%)
No, he is not, there are folks in front of him.
5 (33.3%)
I can't decide just yet, it an opened question.
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Is Smart the best 3&D player in the league?  (Read 4637 times)

Re: Is Smart the best 3&D player in the league?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:53 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I don't think it's fair to Marcus Smart to classify him as a 3&D player, given his ball-handling and facilitating abilities.  Smart bring so much more to the game than just threes and defense.
A think that a lot of people are overestimating Marcus as a playmaker.
Don't get me wrong, he can be a "steward" on offense, but not really a facilitator of some potent offense.
We have him for 5 years now, he never led a good offense as a starter or primary ballhandler, regardless of our talent ATT.
Trouble is he can't penetrate, create pressure on the defense, get to the line with regularity, nor finish over the top.
He doesn't scare and draw the defense when he does.
Also, his career TO rate is at .153, which is just high. We drafted him as a playmaker, but that didn't work out as planned.
His handle is OK, but not above average for the position he plays.
Therefore we moved him to the off-guard spot. No biggie, he is more valuable there.

Marcus does "think fast" with the ball, he has some vision, he will swing it to the opened man without hesitation or monitoring the situation at first.
He will dribble it to open space if he sees an opening. He has that software.
Those are some of the qualities of a playmaker but not all that is necessary to be one.
Joe Ingles, Kyle Anderson also do that, but none sees them as playmakers per se.

The 3&D classification I use for Marcus is not a diss on him in any way, I think it is the appropriate one for this and future phases of his career.

Poll added.

Kyle Anderson is viewed as a playmaker. He is advertised as a point forward. What you are describing is a great playmaker, not playmaker alone. You don't have to be elite at it to be able to qualify as a good playmaker.

Smart does a good of directing an offense, he makes nice passes. He doesn't need to make fancy passes or show top-notch vision to qualify as a playmaker.
I define the playmaker as a dynamic playmaker, a guy that can make things happen, that redirects defenders and not the other way around.
Not someone who is dribbling the ball at the top of the arc and can't beat his man off the dribble nor with a pick set in front of him.
But that's just me.
It is true that Kyle and Smart were advertised as playmakers entering the league.
At the college level, they were that, but NBA reality showed that it was not written in their cards to actually be the ones.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:01:57 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Marcus Smart is one of the most pathetic shooters in the history of the NBA. Nothing has changed.

The difference with a 3 and d shooters is that those guys can shoot the 3 ball , they can actually make 3 pointers.

Which brings me to the key for the Celtics in the playoffs.

Marcus Smart is left open / given the shot most of the time, a good 3 and d player would hit an open 3 at 45% clip.

If Marcus can hit his 3 point shot at 35% during the playoffs , given that he will almost guaranteed be left open while focus is on Kyrie and the other guys, the Celtics will be golden and probably finals bound.

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Marcus Smart is one of the most pathetic shooters in the history of the NBA. Nothing has changed.

The difference with a 3 and d shooters is that those guys can shoot the 3 ball , they can actually make 3 pointers.

Marcus Smart is left open / given the shot most of the time, a good 3 and d player would hit an open 3 at 45% clip.

If Marcus can hit his 3 point shot at 35% during the playoffs , given that he will almost guaranteed be left open while focus is on Kyrie and the other guys, the Celtics will be golden and probably finals bound.

Please name 10 players that are considered 3 & D and can hit open 3's at 45% clip..

To put it into perspective, Green is shooting on catch and shoot attempts 43.9% which is pretty good, but how many players that aren't defensive sieves averaging over 42%?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:45:18 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This year he is currently. But it can change.

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think you have to go with Danny Green for best 3 and D player this year.  Better shooter, similar level of defense, none of the histrionics or controversy that have plagued Smart's career.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

this may not be accurate. please see the earlier posts in the thread. smart's shooting may have turned around. since november 20th he has shot 3 pointers at 41.3%. (50 for 121)

also, mentioned above was the need for 3 & D folks to shoot over 45%. i could only find five current players shooting over 45%. that is a really, really high bar to set.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/three-point-field-goal-percentage
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Smart is a lot of things but a 3 and D player is certainly not one of them.  He's much more than that.  My descriptor for him is a junkyard dog.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

this may not be accurate. please see the earlier posts in the thread. smart's shooting may have turned around. since november 20th he has shot 3 pointers at 41.3%. (50 for 121)

also, mentioned above was the need for 3 & D folks to shoot over 45%. i could only find five current players shooting over 45%. that is a really, really high bar to set.

He said open 3's, which is different then any 3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So much of this is untrue, except for the last sentence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 05:44:55 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday

So much of this is untrue, except for the last sentence.

Well yea because the truths hurt. You only picked out the sentence that makes Marcus Smart extremely important, but i have never seen somebody airball corner open 3 balls more than Marcus.

No matter how open he is , it doesnt mean its good, unlike Danny Green etc. When these guys are open you almost think its automatic. Marcus Smart is erratic as they come.

The good thing is he will be left open, like he has been in past playoff games. So if he can shoot ok ,  it will be huge.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 05:50:26 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday

Danny Green shoots 45.8 % from 3 point land on open 3's

Marcus is a respectable 37.4 %

Marcus Morris is an amazing 46.2 %

Case in point as well , Rozier is shooting 44.9 % from 3 point land when open , despite his immense struggles.

In the playoffs Marcus will most def be open , and he is going to have to hit the three point shot.

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 05:51:31 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
Also, as we suspect Gordon Hayward is shooting 34.8 on open 3's, doesnt sound awful , but these are wide open shots.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 05:20:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Brogdon

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 05:47:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Kuzma is shooting 30.3% from 3 this season on 6.2 attempts per game

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 06:20:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kuzma is shooting 30.3% from 3 this season on 6.2 attempts per game

Nor is he a good defensive player.