Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 62660 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2019, 08:27:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Thrilled that the Lakers management is still incompetent and they got rid of Deng
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Marc Stein: My sense is that the Grizzlies, since that Jan. 14 tweet, have indeed been quietly gauging the Gasol landscape and assessing their options — even though their preference surely remains not trading him. – via New York Times

If (when?) the Grizzlies reach the point that they are truly prepared to break up their star duo of Gasol and Mike Conley, one potential trade scenario I’ve heard would involve Memphis insisting to any interested team that Chandler Parsons must be involved in the same trade. – via New York Times

What team wants to pay Marc Gasol the functional equivalent of $48 million this season and $50 million next? That’s crazy talk.

And at the same time you're crushing all the value that Gasol might offer you.

Wow. Just wow. How stupid is their GM?

A very funny question!!   You may be baiting me and you know who their GM is... If so, touche!   But if not, their GM is old friend Chris Wallace who, among other gems, chose to trade Joe Johnson and keep Kedrick Brown when he could have traded either for Rogers/Delk.  Selected Joe Forte over Tony Parker; traded for Vin Baker.  His work as Celts GM (IMO) is legendary bad.   

I honestly didn't know that. I have been following the NBA just for like around a decade now. But that's interesting information. How does this guy have a job? Pretty sure he's also the one who messed up that 'wrong' Brooks deal with Washington and Phoenix (although DC's GM Grunfeld is also notoriously bad).

Interestingly, the one trade I will truly never forgive Wallace for (who, btw, seems like a good guy and has done an overall OK job with the Griz) is his trade of Pau Gasol to the Lakers -- handing Lakers their mini-dynasty 10 years ago.  At the time, it was a gift -- who knew Marc Gasol (part of the brothers trade) would turn out as good as he is.  But at the time it was like Wallace handing the Lakers a championship.

I vividly remember telling anyone who would listen back then that Marc Gasol would be a much better player than Al Jefferson if he just got himself in shape.  There were a few others that also recognized this, and I suspect Wallace knew this as well (given Marc grew up in Memphis).  Now maybe that wasn't the sentiment here (I had yet to join CB), but there were definitely people that saw the raw talent Marc had.

Memphis ended up getting a much better deal for Pau than Minnesota got for KG.

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2019, 08:47:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Marc Stein: My sense is that the Grizzlies, since that Jan. 14 tweet, have indeed been quietly gauging the Gasol landscape and assessing their options — even though their preference surely remains not trading him. – via New York Times

If (when?) the Grizzlies reach the point that they are truly prepared to break up their star duo of Gasol and Mike Conley, one potential trade scenario I’ve heard would involve Memphis insisting to any interested team that Chandler Parsons must be involved in the same trade. – via New York Times

What team wants to pay Marc Gasol the functional equivalent of $48 million this season and $50 million next? That’s crazy talk.
honestly my first thought was Batum and Charlotte.  I came up with something like this.

Gasol, Parsons for Batum, Zeller, Lamb, lotto protected 1st
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2019, 08:51:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

honestly my first thought was Batum and Charlotte.  I came up with something like this.

I could see Charlotte but they have the uncertainty with Kemba.  The Wizards should jump at the chance to get out from under the Wall contract.  Same with the Cavs and Love. 

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

I could see Charlotte but they have the uncertainty with Kemba.  The Wizards should jump at the chance to get out from under the Wall contract.  Same with the Cavs and Love.

Yeah, I can honestly see the Grizzlies going the other way and deciding to keep Gasol and Conley, and trade for someone like Love to add to them.

« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2019, 01:57:53 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Per Woj:  Grizzlies are starting to listen to trade offers for Gasol and Conley. 

« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2019, 02:17:44 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
How about the Wizards?   They're starting Thomas Bryant at center with Mahinmi as backup. 

Gasol for Mahinmi, Morris (expiring) and 2019 protected (top 10?) 1st 

« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2019, 06:07:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, I can honestly see the Grizzlies going the other way and deciding to keep Gasol and Conley, and trade for someone like Love to add to them.
They can't as they have nothing of any real value to trade (aside from Jackson, Gasol, or Conley) and the Cavs have gotten a fair amount of interest in Love, such that they can actually trade him for value (not a lot, but some).  That is the Grizzlies real problem is they just don't have many assets on their team right now aside from their top 4 pick and their 2 aging stars.  They need to come to that realization and trade Gasol now and see what they can get for Conley.

« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2019, 06:30:03 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

They can't as they have nothing of any real value to trade (aside from Jackson, Gasol, or Conley) and the Cavs have gotten a fair amount of interest in Love, such that they can actually trade him for value (not a lot, but some).  That is the Grizzlies real problem is they just don't have many assets on their team right now aside from their top 4 pick and their 2 aging stars.  They need to come to that realization and trade Gasol now and see what they can get for Conley.
A fair amount of interest, based on what info?
Love's contract is a negative long term asset, that is irrefutable fact.
I don't know who is offering anything of value for him.
If by the value you mean getting another albatross contract (+ expiring) + some top 20 protected 2023 pick, then ok.
But then again why would Memphis clog their cap space and give future picks with an aged, often injured, over the hill star as they are entering the rebuilding phase, is beyond my imagination. Especially since they owe us a pick and they don't know when it will convey and they, due to Cleveland's own Ted Stepien rule, can't send another 1st rounder until 2023.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:03:42 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If by the value you mean getting another albatross contract (+ expiring) + some top 20 protected 2023 pick, then ok.
But then again why would Memphis clog their cap space and give future picks with an aged, often injured, over the hill star as they are entering the rebuilding phase, is beyond my imagination. Especially since they owe us a pick and they don't know when it will convey and they, due to Cleveland's own Ted Stepien rule, can't send another 1st rounder until 2023.
Based on all the rumors and several different teams including the Pelicans, Thunder, Jazz, Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets, Pacers, and Heat have all been linked to Love this season and some of them even last week.  Love has to get back on the court and play though for the Cavs to be able to get full value (whatever that is). 

So apparently several teams disagree with your irrefutable fact.

« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Based on all the rumors and several different teams including the Pelicans, Thunder, Jazz, Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets, Pacers, and Heat have all been linked to Love this season and some of them even last week.  Love has to get back on the court and play though for the Cavs to be able to get full value (whatever that is). 

Read more efficiently.
I wrote that he is a longterm negative asset, not that there is no team willing to accept a negative asset in a trade.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2019, 12:10:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Read more efficiently.
I wrote that he is a longterm negative asset, not that there is no team willing to accept a negative asset in a trade.
but those teams aren't looking at him that way.  The rumors are that the Cavs will get value for him and not have to give up value to unload him.  that means he is not a long term negative asset.

« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Read more efficiently.
but those teams aren't looking at him that way.  The rumors are that the Cavs will get value for him and not have to give up value to unload him.  that means he is not a long term negative asset.

I must say this seems really hard to believe because he is owed 120 million dollars for the next 4 years and has battled all kinds of injuries in his 20's (including scary back stuff). How can you feel comfortable paying him for 4 years of his 30's (he turned 30 this season)? I am curious what a potential value deal is for him? If you have seen any legit rumors I would love to see them.

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Read more efficiently.

I must say this seems really hard to believe because he is owed 120 million dollars for the next 4 years and has battled all kinds of injuries in his 20's (including scary back stuff). How can you feel comfortable paying him for 4 years of his 30's (he turned 30 this season)? I am curious what a potential value deal is for him? If you have seen any legit rumors I would love to see them.
It would be a young player (low to mid tier value), some form of contract (likely a year or two), and a 1st (likely a late or highly protected one).  Nothing great and if Love is healthy he has more value as a player then they could get for him (by a wide margin).  The thing is no one is all that interested until Love steps foot back on the court and he can't actually be traded until tomorrow at the earliest so there was never going to be anything close to a serious talk until then anyway, which is why there aren't any real solid rumors.  That said, I saw something last week linking the Thunder to Love and the trades I saw brandied about was something like Schroder, Diallo, and Noel.  That trade actually seemingly made sense for both teams, but that is only if Love actually shows he can play this year.

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Read more efficiently.

It would be a young player (low to mid tier value), some form of contract (likely a year or two), and a 1st (likely a late or highly protected one).  Nothing great and if Love is healthy he has more value as a player then they could get for him (by a wide margin).  The thing is no one is all that interested until Love steps foot back on the court and he can't actually be traded until tomorrow at the earliest so there was never going to be anything close to a serious talk until then anyway, which is why there aren't any real solid rumors.  That said, I saw something last week linking the Thunder to Love and the trades I saw brandied about was something like Schroder, Diallo, and Noel.  That trade actually seemingly made sense for both teams, but that is only if Love actually shows he can play this year.
It seems like that deal would really hurt OKC's depth wouldn't it? Schroeder is playing nearly 30 minutes a game for them and averaging 15.5 and 5 (and i think some good perimeter defense). Noel is only playing about 15 points a game but is pretty effective in those minutes averaging a steal, block and 5 points and 5 rebounds with good defense while WOJ recently called Diallo a revelation for the thunder at 20 years old.

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/28/oklahoma-city-thunder-hamidou-diallo-revelation-adrian-wojnarowski-espn/

Why in the world would the Thunder cash out all those guys for someone who is going to be a third or 4th option on there team and get 120 million over 4 years?