Author Topic: Would you move Rondo now?  (Read 8575 times)

Re: Would you move Rondo now?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'd move anybody in the right deal, so sure! The right deal won't be on the table, though. I'd certainly move a small for an equally good big... especially for *this* team.

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If the move gives us a good chance at winning a title this year, and also nets us good value, I think one has to do it. Even with the prospect of rebuild with Rondo, you might not get a better chance at winning a championship than with this group (as long as Garnett is here), so I think you have to go for it if possible.

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This borders idiotic, he would not pass a physical.

I think teams can waive physicals for injuries. Wasn't Bogut traded last year with a major injury?

As for the OP, I would trade him for anything above 80 cents on the dollar, but I was in favor of trading him for almost two years now.

I don't believe PG's can lead teams to titles in the first place, and I don't trust "pure PG's" who routinely lead mediocre (at best) offenses. I'm sure some will blame Doc, DA, his teammates, etc. (anybody and everybody but Rondo) for our usually dismal offense, but Doc is well respected (for a reason), KG and Pierce are two HoF'ers (and still All-Stars), and DA knows his stuff, can't deny that.

The reason some blame Rondo less than you do for our mediocre offense is that they have a decent understanding of why our offense is mediocre. Rondo gets player the shots that they seem to be comfortable taking and they hit those shots at an above average rate. I mean I suppose he could somehow force the bigs to go for offensive rebounds instead of getting back on defense or order KG to post up more, but there's only so much you can realistically expect a pg to do to resolve those issues.

With the ball in Rondo's hands, what are your options?
A. Find player A if/when he gets open
B. Find player B if/when he gets open
C. Find player C if/when he gets open
D. Find player D if/when he gets open
E. Take a midrange jumper
F. Penetrate and put up circus shot
G. Waste entire shot clock and throw up a last second three
I. Penetrate and get fouled

Those are your offensive options with Rondo in the game. And defenses clearly know that's the order he prefers. The rest of the team is forced to exert a ton of energy trying to get open, and usually for nothing.

The best way to resolve this issue is to not keep the ball in Rondo's hands as much. But by taking it out of his hands, you are playing 4 on 5, because he is such a non-threat as a shooter or cutter, and is way too small to set effective screens.

The media overvalue him because of his gaudy stats and his performances in nationally-televised games, which he obviously plays differently in. How many C's/Suns and C's/Magic midweek games do you think Marc Stein watches? But the other GM's don't value him nearly as high as us fans and the clueless media, because Ainge would have dealt him already (for CP3, Steph Curry maybe?).

I'm not a Rondo basher (or try not to be), but I'm certainly not an apologist.

But this team would be significantly better with someone like Marc (or maybe even Pau) Gasol or DMC or some other big who can rebound well and score decently. We have enough scorers who are also willing passers to make it work. Our current roster can score on their own. They don't need to be spoon-fed every bucket. Maybe in years past that was true, but not with guys like Barbosa, Terry, Green, Lee, and obviously Pierce. Garnett is proving he doesn't only need to take wide open 20-footers or receive lobs from the one and only RR.

Nobody knows how this season is gonna play out. Maybe they make a serious run. Maybe this team gets dusted in the first round and this whole post-ACL-injury debate is for naught. But with Rondo, what proof is there that our odds were really any better?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

C. Take a midrange jumper
D. Find player C if/when he gets open
E. Run P&R, penetrate and put up easy layup
F. Find player D if/when he gets open
G. Penetrate and get fouled
H. Waste entire shot clock and throw up a last second three
I. Post-up

Isn't this what nearly all players do? O_o
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This borders idiotic, he would not pass a physical.

I think teams can waive physicals for injuries. Wasn't Bogut traded last year with a major injury?

As for the OP, I would trade him for anything above 80 cents on the dollar, but I was in favor of trading him for almost two years now.

I don't believe PG's can lead teams to titles in the first place, and I don't trust "pure PG's" who routinely lead mediocre (at best) offenses. I'm sure some will blame Doc, DA, his teammates, etc. (anybody and everybody but Rondo) for our usually dismal offense, but Doc is well respected (for a reason), KG and Pierce are two HoF'ers (and still All-Stars), and DA knows his stuff, can't deny that.

The reason some blame Rondo less than you do for our mediocre offense is that they have a decent understanding of why our offense is mediocre. Rondo gets player the shots that they seem to be comfortable taking and they hit those shots at an above average rate. I mean I suppose he could somehow force the bigs to go for offensive rebounds instead of getting back on defense or order KG to post up more, but there's only so much you can realistically expect a pg to do to resolve those issues.

Those are your offensive options with Rondo in the game. And defenses clearly know that's the order he prefers. The rest of the team is forced to exert a ton of energy trying to get open, and usually for nothing.

I'd say that a) those are the main options (sarcasm or not) that are available to all nba players and not just Rondo and b) your dire description of the situation we're faced with doesn't change what I said. The fact that we shoot the ball well and Rondo generally gets someone an open shot and still manages to get a ton of assists implies that there's something wrong with your analysis of our offense.