Author Topic: Blazers trade Jerryd Bayless to Hornets for 1st Rounder  (Read 6375 times)

Re: Blazers trade Jerryd Bayless to Hornets for 1st Rounder
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Smart move, Bayless has struggled mightily for the Blazers and showed a lack of development in his two years there. The chances of him coming good are minimal.

Without having watched a ton of Portland games, his per36 scoring went up from 12.5 to 17.4, fg% from .365 to .414, 3pfg% from 26% to 32%, and his PER went from 8.2 to 14.3. Not saying he'll be a star, but that seems like reasonable improvement.

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
There is no clear call here on whether Bayless has a lower or higher value than a pick.  Value is a judgment of the beholder. 

Don't forget also that:

- The 5-8 seeds in the West should again be much stronger than the 5-8s in the East.  This means that the difference between 8th and 9th in the West will probably be 4-5 spots in the draft. 

- With the lockout looming, a lot of early entry candidates will stay in school or go to/stay in Europe.  The 2011 draft will probably be a pretty weak one.

I just don't see this as being as lopsided as most here do.  I think both teams benefited from the move, but it's not a steal for Portland by any means.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
There is no clear call here on whether Bayless has a lower or higher value than a pick.  Value is a judgment of the beholder. 

Don't forget also that:

- The 5-8 seeds in the West should again be much stronger than the 5-8s in the East.  This means that the difference between 8th and 9th in the West will probably be 4-5 spots in the draft. 

- With the lockout looming, a lot of early entry candidates will stay in school or go to/stay in Europe.  The 2011 draft will probably be a pretty weak one.

I just don't see this as being as lopsided as most here do.  I think both teams benefited from the move, but it's not a steal for Portland by any means.

I don't know how much stronger the 5-8 seeds from the west will be. 2 of the 5-8 teams from the East should come from Atlanta/Chicago/Milwaukee, which is a decent group.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Don't forget also that:

I don't know how much stronger the 5-8 seeds from the west will be. 2 of the 5-8 teams from the East should come from Atlanta/Chicago/Milwaukee, which is a decent group.
Agreed, it's more the 7th-11th placed teams that are stronger than the Eastern counterparts. The teams fighting for the final two playoff spots.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I have the Hornets ranked as the 11th best team in the West but one of teams ahead of them will likely be hit by injuries + Denver might trade Carmelo Anthony without getting much in return ... So, I expect the Hornets to finish with the 9th or 10th best record in the West.

A small chance of sneaking into the playoffs as an eight seed but more likely to finish on the outside looking in.

Note -- All eight playoff teams in the West won 50+ games last season. The Hornets went 23-22 in the 45 games Chris Paul played (.500 ball). They'll likely need to improve by 8-10 games to make the playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

That's fair - I'm not big on Atlanta or Milwaukee this year, but there is a little more depth than in previous years.

But if the Hornets make the playoffs (a big if of course), and if the CBA isn't settled before the draft (a much smaller if), there's a good chance that Bayless will have more value than a high-teens pick in a shallow draft.

I see LA, Dallas, OKC, Utah, and Denver as being clearly better than NO this year.  Hornets I'd put in a group with Portland, San Antonio, Houston, and Memphis.  One or two of the three other Cali teams could move up, but I doubt it'll happen this year.

I think Phoenix will fall off the table as they're currently built.  Denver has the big Melo question mark, so they could wind up anywhere from 2nd to 11th depending on how that shakes out.  And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the year San Antonio drops out of the playoffs, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is an excellent trade for Portland as they obviously wanted to get another first round pick in next year's draft and being unable to with Rudy Fernandez as trade bait was able to do so quietly with this deal.

Bayless has obvious talent but is as inconsistent as they come. For a team with deep playoff aspirations this year, his continued inconsistencies would not have played well in Portland. So they keep Fernandez, who I believe they liked better than Bayless anyway, and still get the first rounder by trading Bayless.

I am also believing, like others, that this will be a pick somewhere between 10-14 in the lottery.

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
That’s a really good trade. That first rounder should end up being pretty good from New Orleans.