Author Topic: The Celtics Found Their Starting Lineup Last Night  (Read 3469 times)

Re: The Celtics Found Their Starting Lineup Last Night
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like that starting lineup, but the biggest advantage the Celtics have is their depth.  If they go into games with the philosophy that "our top five will beat your top five," they'll be outclassed on most nights.  That just is what it is.

I still think we can be a really good team if we rely on our strengths, which is mixing and matching, and being able to have a better overall unit on the floor for the full 48 minutes.  We have to take advantage of when the other team starts going to their bench.

Generally I agree, but I also think it's important not to spot the other team an 8-10 point lead before our wonderful bench unit even hits the floor.

Mixing and matching is nice, too, but not if it comes at the expense of players finding consistent roles that allow them to thrive.  Lately it seems Brad has been shortening the rotation and relying on guys to do similar things each game, but that may be due to injuries.

The teams that consistently win games are those that have combinations of 3-5 players who spend a lot of time on the floor together each and every night.

While the Celtics don't boast multiple All-Star talents as some of those consistently-winning teams do, I still think it's important for them to figure out their best 3-5 guys and give them lots of time to grow and learn to build leads and close games together.

That is, unless the point of this season is simply to continue rotating guys around the lineup to showcase as many players for trade as possible, while also getting the younger guys a taste of NBA action.  In that case, what is most conducive to winning is not really relevant.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
2-0 with this lineup and against good teams. I liked AB off the bench today

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 01:08:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like that starting lineup, but the biggest advantage the Celtics have is their depth.  If they go into games with the philosophy that "our top five will beat your top five," they'll be outclassed on most nights.  That just is what it is.

I still think we can be a really good team if we rely on our strengths, which is mixing and matching, and being able to have a better overall unit on the floor for the full 48 minutes.  We have to take advantage of when the other team starts going to their bench.

Generally I agree, but I also think it's important not to spot the other team an 8-10 point lead before our wonderful bench unit even hits the floor.

Mixing and matching is nice, too, but not if it comes at the expense of players finding consistent roles that allow them to thrive.  Lately it seems Brad has been shortening the rotation and relying on guys to do similar things each game, but that may be due to injuries.

The teams that consistently win games are those that have combinations of 3-5 players who spend a lot of time on the floor together each and every night.

While the Celtics don't boast multiple All-Star talents as some of those consistently-winning teams do, I still think it's important for them to figure out their best 3-5 guys and give them lots of time to grow and learn to build leads and close games together.

That is, unless the point of this season is simply to continue rotating guys around the lineup to showcase as many players for trade as possible, while also getting the younger guys a taste of NBA action.  In that case, what is most conducive to winning is not really relevant.

Clearly, that is not the main point of this season.  Winning seems to be the most relevant thing. 

I do agree, though, that it's starting to look more and more like the lineup you highlighted in your original post is the go-to lineup (although, Evan was in in place of Crowder in crunch time tonight).

Kelly came in late before fouling out, but I'm fairly sure that even if he hadn't fouled out, Sully would have gotten back on the floor to finish.

I do wish that Sully and Olynyk were a more viable duo together, but you really do need Amir out there with each of them as much as you can.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with how it's all working out so far.  Brad's doing a masterful job, and everyone seems engaged and working their tails off when they are out there regardless of their current place in the rotation.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson