Author Topic: Hayward Is NOT Getting Traded  (Read 7751 times)

Hayward Is NOT Getting Traded
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge is a cold-blooded assassin, but he's not this cold-blooded.

It would be a horrendous look for the franchise if you traded your 2nd marquee FA signing in franchise history (after Horford) after just 5-6 minutes of his Boston career and after what he's been through all year with the horrific injury (and rehabbing).

The Isaiah Thomas trade looked bad and cruel, but at least we had traded for Isaiah and technically the C's did a lot for him that allowed him to become a star in this league. So in essence, it wasn't *as* bad.

Trading Hayward in some sort of S&T or "salary dump" move to bring in Lebron is simply not ideal and suddenly I doubt any FA considers Boston going forward. Would reflect poorly on the organization.

As much as I love Kyrie and hope to keep him long term, there's a better case to trade him than Hayward since there's risk that he could leave after this season when he opts-out and hits FA.

Just my thoughts. Ainge wants to build a winner and he is a shrewd GM, but I don't think he even thinks about trading Hayward at the moment (also because of the Brad Stevens connection). No one is untouchable, but I'd say Hayward and Tatum (Tatum UNLESS it's for AD) are the closest to untouchable out of this group.

Remember what Jackie Mac said late last year, "the only untouchable now I would say is Al Horford". Well, maybe he's not untouchable now but this past season and the year before that (his first year in BOS after signing) he pretty much was. I assume it's the same for Hayward next year.

Now maybe I wrote this and people are like "DUH... we all know that", but look at the Lebron threads on here and you'll see where I'm coming from.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Hayward Is NOT Getting Traded
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really think the Celtics want to see what they have here with a healthy Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford core before they do anything drastic.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I trust Zach Lowe's reporting on the C's especially.

He said that if one of our max contracts, Kyrie/Hayward/Horford, is needed to match salary for a trade it would be Hayward who would go.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I really think the Celtics want to see what they have here with a healthy Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford core before they do anything drastic.

Yep. I'm sure maybe there's a bit of interest between Lebron and the Celtics (both sides) but I obviously don't think we're as likely as say Philadelphia or Houston or Los Angeles Lakers.

Haynes is legit and when he says Lebron "would listen" if Ainge showed some interest, I believe him, but "listening/having a conversation" is not even close to "Lebron is coming here for sure" 

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yup.

But I also think Ainge will call KD/LBJ/NOP and see if he can get a MVP via FA or trade. Those calls will be quick and then he'll move on.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

He said that if one of our max contracts, Kyrie/Hayward/Horford, is needed to match salary for a trade it would be Hayward who would go.

I think the "magic number" in a S&T for Lebron if he opts-in is 29.3M (for matching salaries). Kyrie, Morris, #27 and Yabusele gets there I think (and we throw in a future non-Kings Pick). If it doesn't, then add Nader and it very much should. Or The Ringer outlined a three team trade involving the Knicks that could make it work with us giving up Kyrie. 

I feel bad about even suggesting we trade Kyrie away, but the risk is there he bolts in a year and if we absolutely had to make some kind of move like this, I'd rather ship out Irving.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Yup.

But I also think Ainge will call KD/LBJ/NOP and see if he can get a MVP via FA or trade. Those calls will be quick and then he'll move on.

Spurs situation is intriguing to monitor. If they do ultimately decide to let Leonard go, Boston may enter the sweepstakes, and frankly then it becomes a whole lot more realistic a possibility than Lebron. Of course, need to make sure Leonard's health checks out.

I predict Leonard stays in San Antonio but again, it's something to monitor.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Ainge is a cold-blooded assassin, but he's not this cold-blooded.

Oh, he's absolutely that cold-blooded. I don't want to say he's cold-blooded, but I saw Buffy chasing after him with a stake (Yes, I'm rewatching BtVS. Yes, it's a better TV show the fifth time around than most are the first.).

But none of the Big 3 are getting traded this summer. With Kyrie in a contract year, we couldn't get the value we'd want for him, anyway.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Yep. I'm sure maybe there's a bit of interest between Lebron and the Celtics (both sides) but I obviously don't think we're as likely as say Philadelphia or Houston or Los Angeles Lakers.

Haynes is legit and when he says Lebron "would listen" if Ainge showed some interest, I believe him, but "listening/having a conversation" is not even close to "Lebron is coming here for sure"
As a fan, I absolutely wouldn't want LeBron, and would much prefer to see the team's current strategy play out.

That being said, Ainge does not care about such things. Ainge would have to work out a trade with Cleveland using Hayward and maybe Morris, and would have to separately move Kyrie for obvious reasons, but both of those moves sound very feasible.

Philadelphia, Houston and LA are all possibilities, but if you think about it, those spots all have lots of problems associated with bringing LeBron on board. As much as I hate to say it, Boston sounds like the best place from LeBron's point of view BY FAR.

LeBron would be looking at playing with Tatum, Brown Horford, Rozier and Smart, plus the bounty from an Irving trade, the Sac pick next year and all of our other future assets. He'd be set for the remainder of his career with a team that was perfectly constructed to beat GS. No other team can offer him anything close.

It would be as cold-blooded a move as we've ever seen, but I hate to admit it would work for all involved.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I think the "magic number" in a S&T for Lebron if he opts-in is 29.3M (for matching salaries). Kyrie, Morris, #27 and Yabusele gets there I think (and we throw in a future non-Kings Pick). If it doesn't, then add Nader and it very much should. Or The Ringer outlined a three team trade involving the Knicks that could make it work with us giving up Kyrie. 

I feel bad about even suggesting we trade Kyrie away, but the risk is there he bolts in a year and if we absolutely had to make some kind of move like this, I'd rather ship out Irving.

Why the heck would we throw in a pick when Cleveland would be lucky to get anything for Lebron instead of him signing somewhere as a free agent? Getting Kyrie or Hayward for him would be a steal.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
signing Lebron would totally bum me out, and it has little to do with who would get dumped.

I would find a championship led by Lebron far less rewarding/satisfying than one won by our current team.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Ainge is indeed cold blooded, but wow, that would be extraordinary even for him. On the heels of IT, it would wreck the Celtics' goodwill around the league.

Hayward is not spare parts, for god's sake. Please go watch any highlights of him from 2016-17. He's an absolute stud who just turned 28.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 12:25:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ainge is indeed cold blooded, but wow, that would be extraordinary even for him. On the heels of IT, it would wreck the Celtics' goodwill around the league.

Hayward is not spare parts, for god's sake. Please go watch any highlights of him from 2016-17. He's an absolute stud who just turned 28.

Danny is walking on thin ice as we speak

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Danny is walking on thin ice as we speak

No he is not..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 12:30:52 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

BINGO!
LET'S GO CELTICS!