Author Topic: 3rd player angling to join Kyrie and Butler in 2019  (Read 9572 times)

3rd player angling to join Kyrie and Butler in 2019
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/nba-insider-very-accomplished-third-player-plotting-to-join-kyrie-irving--jimmy-butler-in-2019/286433956

NBA Insider: 'Very accomplished' third player plotting to join Kyrie Irving & Jimmy Butler in 2019

"There's a third guy that I can't mention, but yeah," Goodwill said about another 2019 free agent joining Irving and Butler. "I can't tell you (who) but I can tell you it's a very accomplished NBA player. Very accomplished."

Is there a team that can create 3 max slots? I don't think so.. Probably more baseless speculation though.

Re: 3rd player angling to join Kyrie and Butler in 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Saying it is a very accomplished player means it is not a max level player or at least not anymore.  Maybe someone like Dwight. 

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
With all the speculation going on I think If kyrie leaves its far from the end of the world. It’s not like we gave up anything of significance to get him, he’s always injured, we have young guys who can step up with scoring as seen in the playoffs, and we will probably have a top 5 pick in 2019 in a draft with a lot of good point guards.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
It’s Kevin Durant or Kawhi Leonard
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/nba-insider-very-accomplished-third-player-plotting-to-join-kyrie-irving--jimmy-butler-in-2019/286433956

NBA Insider: 'Very accomplished' third player plotting to join Kyrie Irving & Jimmy Butler in 2019

"There's a third guy that I can't mention, but yeah," Goodwill said about another 2019 free agent joining Irving and Butler. "I can't tell you (who) but I can tell you it's a very accomplished NBA player. Very accomplished."

Is there a team that can create 3 max slots? I don't think so.. Probably more baseless speculation though.

Brooklyn can pretty much clear their books if they bribe someone to take Allen Crabbe by dangling D'Angelo Russell and RHJ. Theoretically, if Butler forces his way out of Minnesota at the trade deadline that might be a package of three rotation-ready players that could appeal to Thibs. Would also get the first part of an attempted triumvirate in place early.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:45:36 PM by bogg »

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 05:44:33 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
For what it's worth, some of the top free agents in 2019 are

Klay, Boogie, Jordan, Kemba, Bledsoe, Tobias Harris, Vucevic, Mirotic (unrestricted)

Kyrie, Butler, Kawhi, Durant, Love, Middleton, Horford, Marc Gasol, Dragic, Teague, Harrison Barnes (player options)

Not included restricted free agents and team options cause if the players are good enough there is practically zero chance they change teams.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:51:15 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 06:22:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

A current team could help facilitate via a sign and trade, right?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 06:41:33 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

A current team could help facilitate via a sign and trade, right?

If one of the players is acquired in a sign-and-trade, then the team receiving them would be hard capped at the tax line. Building a team with 3 max contracts and a hard cap would be practically impossible
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I love how the narrative shifted.

Irving clearly stated that it didn't make sense for him financially to make any decisions until next off-season. He didn't affirm his desire to stay with the Celtics, but his reasoning was clear and direct.

Now the narrative is "who is teaming up with Irving and Butler in New York?"

Narratives in sports get out of control quicker than my two year old on a sugar rush.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 06:52:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Brooklyn can pretty much clear their books if they bribe someone to take Allen Crabbe by dangling D'Angelo Russell and RHJ. Theoretically, if Butler forces his way out of Minnesota at the trade deadline that might be a package of three rotation-ready players that could appeal to Thibs. Would also get the first part of an attempted triumvirate in place early.

If DA senses KI is leaving, that package appeals to me.

Crabbe/Russell/RHJ or Jarret Allen or LaVert for Mook and Kyrie works for me.

There's a long article in the Daily Links on the front page that proffers Brooklyn OR the Knicks as a possible desired location:

Ever since last offseason, Kyrie Irving has voiced his desire to play for a team close to his hometown of West Orange, New Jersey. Although the state once had an NBA team, they are now residing in Brooklyn, with a team filled with young talent and plenty of cap space. However, when talking about THE team from New York, it is hard to put the Nets over their neighbors across the East River. With a clear-cut All-Star at full health in Porzingis, rising stars in Ntilikina and Knox, and one of the most respected coaches around the league in Fizdale, the Knicks are once again a premier destination for free agents.

The Knicks are certainly in a good place to add a player of Irving’s caliber next year. With Enes Kanter, Ron Baker, and Emmanuel Mudiay all playing on expiring contracts, the Knicks are in line to have two max-contract slots available. This comes with the condition that the Knicks can find someone to take on Courtney Lee’s $12M, but the Knicks have reportedly already been looking for suitors. Another issue could arise with Tim Hardaway Jr’s massive four year, $71M through 2021. Of course, both of these contracts were organized by the Phil Jackson Knicks, a team that should have no correlation with what the Knicks are trying to become now. Nonetheless, as long as management can perform their duties of leaving as much money available to bring in stars, New York should be able to acquire a much needed piece to play alongside Porzingis.

The Nets, on the other hand, are just now concluding their end of the deal with the Boston Celtics centered around the Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Jason Terry trade all the way back in 2013. With their final pick being used by the Cavs to select G Collin Sexton at number eight, the Nets have learned their lesson to never break the bank for players past their prime. Now, they have a former 2nd overall pick in D’Angelo Russell, a steal from last year’s draft in Jarrett Allen, and the previously mentioned cap space that makes them contenders to sign anyone they want. Plus, something Brooklyn has that the Knicks do not is lack of long-term commitment. Jarrett Allen is the only player that is signed through the 2020-21 season, meaning the team is likely to be completely remodeled by then.

As for Kyrie, it is still unsure what he is trying to gain out of potentially leaving the best team in the Eastern Conference. Not only that, an extremely young team with a coach that can get the most out of every single player on any given night. Considering this team was one game away from playing in the NBA Finals last year without its two best players, it is hard to see why Kyrie would decide to abandon all that. Then again, this is the same man that demanded a trade from the best player of this generation, so nothing is out of the picture. If the thought of playing “with a big man like Porzingis” really entices Irving enough, it may not be long until the duo brings Madison Square Garden back to its Starks-Ewing days./quote]

https://www.isportsweb.com/2018/07/20/new-york-vs-brooklyn-the-battle-for-kyrie-irving/

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I prefer to keep and sign Kyrie to a long term deal, but if that doesn’t seem to be a possibility, then I hope Danny is doing his due diligence here. While we might be able to afford losing Kyrie,  our status as a top-tier contender to GSW would be greatly hindered if we lost him for nothing.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Kyrie leaves, he’s an idiot.  Hayward + Tatum + Brown + Horford + Smart is better than Butler + “very accomplished “ player

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

If DA senses KI is leaving, that package appeals to me.

Crabbe/Russell/RHJ or Jarret Allen or LaVert for Mook and Kyrie works for me.

Oh, short of a flat-out public trade demand, I think there's next to no chance Ainge trades away Irving in what should be a season where they make a serious run at the Finals, nevermind to a team in-division as the first step in a three-star team-up. I was just responding to the question of whether anyone could clear three max slots. Brooklyn's going to be able to pretty much come as close as possible to doing so if they can get someone to take Crabbe for an expiring.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 07:29:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I love how the narrative shifted.

Irving clearly stated that it didn't make sense for him financially to make any decisions until next off-season. He didn't affirm his desire to stay with the Celtics, but his reasoning was clear and direct.

Now the narrative is "who is teaming up with Irving and Butler in New York?"

Narratives in sports get out of control quicker than my two year old on a sugar rush.

Yep. Just like the narrative that Paul George was 100% waiting to sign with the Lakers this summer.

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 08:11:03 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
If Kyrie leaves, he’s an idiot.  Hayward + Tatum + Brown + Horford + Smart is better than Butler + “very accomplished “ player
So deciding to play for a worse team automatically makes you an idiot? You must already think he's an idiot after demanding a trade from Cleveland.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out