Author Topic: Not a fan of starting smart  (Read 2013 times)

Not a fan of starting smart
« on: October 18, 2017, 12:19:45 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Marcus is an absolute pitbull.  Plays all out and that's great.  But he simply does not have the tools to be a good offensive player.  I want to minimize his time on the court with Kyrie. Kyrie needs have the ball in his hands when he's on the court. Period.

Re: Not a fan of starting smart
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:26:44 AM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
Yea I agree. I liked a few of the looks Kyrie got playing off the ball, but i hated that he didn't have the ball more when they went with Smart. I'm not sure that's what Kyrie is best served as, but maybe they are saving that. Still in shock tho. [dang]

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 01:24:26 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Smarts somewhat sloppy play style works well off the bench without kyrie

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 01:30:22 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Well they really didnt have much option this game. Would be much better when Morris returns imho.

With that said I think its a good idea to sign Gerald Green to eat up some minutes so we can stagger the players minutes better. Tough to play Brown 39 mins but we really dont have a choice today.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:36:16 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Well they really didnt have much option this game. Would be much better when Morris returns imho.

With that said I think its a good idea to sign Gerald Green to eat up some minutes so we can stagger the players minutes better. Tough to play Brown 39 mins but we really dont have a choice today.

Gerald Green?  Seriously?  Lol, just play the kids, instead. #BaptismByFire

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:39:58 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

What happens when Tatum had to sit down due to foul trouble? How about Brown, do you play him 39 minutes a night? Nader and Ojeleye, both cannot be counted on this early. When worse comes to worst having someone who can soak up minutes, a vet who already knows your system, is very handy.

If you think Gerald Green is being brought back to eat up Haywards minutes you are sadly mistaken.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:13:10 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

What happens when Tatum had to sit down due to foul trouble? How about Brown, do you play him 39 minutes a night? Nader and Ojeleye, both cannot be counted on this early. When worse comes to worst having someone who can soak up minutes, a vet who already knows your system, is very handy.

If you think Gerald Green is being brought back to eat up Haywards minutes you are sadly mistaken.

Sure, but given that our season pretty much just went out the window I see no harm in playing guys like Semi and Yabu, maybe even in a starting role (and my vote would be for Semi in such a capacity).  It's the best of both worlds, imo.  We get a good look at our young guys to see who can and who can't play moving forward, and when Hayward comes back at some point, we'll have more youth with actual playing experience to supplement our starting five.  Seriously, what's the harm?  It's better to use this opportunity to see what we have, if anything, moving forward, than to waste it, imo, and if we do want to sign another player there's always the undrafted market.  Jarrod Uthoff, Peter Jok, and Nigel Hayes come to mind as guys who could help 2-4, even though that won't happen so relax, lol :laugh:. I'd also vouch for Antonius Cleveland, here, but I believe that he's playing in Australia as of right now :'(, so I'm not sure if we'd have to buy him out or whatever, but yeah, there are certainly better options out there than Gerald Green, imo, even though I know that that doesn't count for anything, lol :laugh:

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:44:26 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Sure, but given that our season pretty much just went out the window I see no harm in playing guys like Semi and Yabu, maybe even in a starting role (and my vote would be for Semi in such a capacity).  It's the best of both worlds, imo.  We get a good look at our young guys to see who can and who can't play moving forward, and when Hayward comes back at some point, we'll have more youth with actual playing experience to supplement our starting five.  Seriously, what's the harm?  It's better to use this opportunity to see what we have, if anything, moving forward, than to waste it, imo, and if we do want to sign another player there's always the undrafted market.  Jarrod Uthoff, Peter Jok, and Nigel Hayes come to mind as guys who could help 2-4, even though that won't happen so relax, lol :laugh:. I'd also vouch for Antonius Cleveland, here, but I believe that he's playing in Australia as of right now :'(, so I'm not sure if we'd have to buy him out or whatever, but yeah, there are certainly better options out there than Gerald Green, imo, even though I know that that doesn't count for anything, lol :laugh:.

I'm sorry but since when has that been a given? Nothing is certain, just like we werent certain Hayward was going to suffer an injury first game of the season.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 02:58:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think if you have Smart with the starters you have better chances to reduce his shot volume. Irving, Brown and Horford would pull shots away. We saw how many shots Smart took when paired with the 2nd unit tonight. He turned into last season's Smart. Put him with the starters who don't need him to score.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think if you have Smart with the starters you have better chances to reduce his shot volume. Irving, Brown and Horford would pull shots away. We saw how many shots Smart took when paired with the 2nd unit tonight. He turned into last season's Smart. Put him with the starters who don't need him to score.
That's the problem in my book.  He's already taking away from the starters shot volume.  I'd rather put him on the bench to prevent that.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.... Gerald Green

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Smart needs to settle down. Sometimes he pushes a little too much but I think it's part of what makes him great on the defensive end. He just needs to ease into the offense a little more...

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think they're going to start Morris/Brown/Tatum when Morris is back.

Till then Smart is fine at SG. The other option could be Baynes at the 5 and shifting Tatum to the wing, but we'll see.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
A quick look at Marcus Smart's stats for his first 3 years don't give me any hope that it would be a good think to make him the starting PG...He still hasn't learned to shoot and I doubt he ever will.  Celtics knew he couldn't shoot in college and still drafted him...

2014  7.8 pts   36.7% FG   33.5% 3PT
2015  9.1 pts     34.8% FG   25.3% 3PT
2016  10.6    pts   35.9% FG   28.3% 3PT

Celtics fans those are terrible stats no way around it.

MikeB   Celtics fan for 50+ yrs

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
When Morris returns, maybe you start him at the 4, Tatum at the three and Brown at the 2.   

I do like the idea of Tatum now getting the bulk of his minutes at the three as he is developing.