Author Topic: Shaq Might Still Sign With Atlanta  (Read 9699 times)

Re: Shaq Might Still Sign With Atlanta
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm just saying that being top 50 means that you may be the second, if not the third best rebounder on your team. I guessr he qualitative evaluation of this statement is in the eye of the beholder, though your clustering argument makes sense.

Not to me.  Neither Perkins or Amir Johnson are 'good' rebounders.  If 4 rebounds a game is considered good what the heck is bad?

Save your minutes per rebound stat because if that really meant anything he would play 35 min and average 50 rebounds a game, fyi.  He's a below average NBA player that lucked out that no one wants to play in Canada.
You do understand why using rebound rate is important to judge the quality of a player's rebounding ability right? If you go just by rebounds per game you let pace and minutes distort the players true skill.

If you play in an uptempo system with more shots there are naturally more rebounds to grab.

I'd still like to hear your critera for a rebounder, and an explanation why Perkins isn't one.

Is Glen Davis one?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:24:32 PM by Fafnir »

Re: Shaq Might Still Sign With Atlanta
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Because Perkins and Johnson rank in the top 50 in the league. Thats not bad at all.
Just for perspective, if you're the 50th best rebounders in the league, this means that on average, every team has 1-2 rebounders that are better than you. That's not too good.
So to be a rebounder you have to be in the top 30? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If you're top 30 you're elite, if you're top 50 you're just good.

Perkins was 33rd Johnson was 41st, so on average its better to say they'd be the second best rebounder on their team, that's not bad either. Especially when you look at the spread of rebound rates. There are 6 above 20, 1 at 19, 8 in 18s, and then it clusters around 17 and 16s.

Perk's rebounding rate puts him 33rd in the league. His defensive rebounding rate is 21st. His offensive rate is pretty low but Doc wanted the guys to run back on defense and not crash the offensive glass. If you consider that there's a total of 60 starting pf/c in the league, 33rd overall would be no worse than average, and 21st (DRR) would be in the top 1/3.

He could get into Hamilton.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.