Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 238693 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #780 on: April 24, 2019, 09:39:30 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It is a historic travesty that Westbrook got that MVP award. Even though Kawhi and Harden were more deserving, are and were better players and made their teams better and truly relevant in terms of playoff (real) basketball. It set up a really bad example that such a selfish, unskilled and most importantly, a player displaying such unsportsmanlike conduct was "our" (never mine) MVP.

Did we fight the war for that?

For the selfish?
For the unskilled?
For sore losers that don't respect anyone?
For complainers to the refs who rather whine than run back on D?
For the uncoachable and the narcissistic?
For the undisciplined?
For the guys who repel real MVPs out of town(KD)?
A guy that has a period every time he is confronted with the media? BTW, the media that gave him his MVP?

That's our Most Valuable Player?
Those are the values we promote and try to instill in our future MVPS?

One huge basketball travesty.
A dark cloud of historic shame is raining over those voters and people who support these values.
It doesn't look like it will stop soon.

Not a fan, huh?

« Reply #781 on: April 24, 2019, 09:45:52 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Westbrook needs to delete Twitter, hit the gym and shooting coach up.

« Reply #782 on: April 24, 2019, 09:51:10 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I pick OKC to go to Western Finals 😳.. and i know Lillard hit that shot but should have driven in instead standing out there..lot of teams in college and pros do that..just drives me nuts 😝
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #783 on: April 24, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It is a historic travesty that Westbrook got that MVP award. Even though Kawhi and Harden were more deserving, are and were better players and made their teams better and truly relevant in terms of playoff (real) basketball. It set up a really bad example that such a selfish, unskilled and most importantly, a player displaying such unsportsmanlike conduct was "our" (never mine) MVP.

For the selfish?
For the unskilled?
For the undisciplined?
A guy that has a period every time he is confronted with the media? BTW, the media that gave him his MVP?

A dark cloud of historic shame is raining over those voters and people who support these values.

I don't consider it a historic travesty because the MVP award has never been exclusively about who is the best player or who helps their team win the most. It's always been about a narrative on the season. If it wasn't, we'd have only like 4 MVP winners for every 20 seasons.

« Reply #784 on: April 24, 2019, 10:41:42 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The only competitive series so far in these NBA playoffs is Denver-San Antonio. Good chance literally every other series ends in 4-5 games with the higher seeds winning (I expect Houston and Golden State to wrap up their series rather easily tonight)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:49:06 AM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #785 on: April 24, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The only competitive series so far in these NBA playoffs is Denver-San Antonio. Good chance literally every other series ends in 4-5 games with the higher seeds winning (I expect Houston and Golden State to wrap up their series rather easily tonight)

I don't think just because a series only goes 4 or 5 games it's not competitive. 5 close games that could've gone either way is entertaining as hell.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #786 on: April 24, 2019, 10:52:08 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't think just because a series only goes 4 or 5 games it's not competitive. 5 close games that could've gone either way is entertaining as hell.

Yeah that's fair but I probably should have been clearer. Most of these series has had maybe 1, at most 2 close games but the rest are blowouts  :P

OKC-POR has probably been the 2nd best series so far behind DEN-SAS which I think is a fantastic battle from both sides.

« Reply #787 on: April 24, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If you thought the finish to last night's POR/OKC couldn't have gotten better, watch this:

https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1121042735786541056

« Reply #788 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I’ve never been a fan of Westbrook’s game, and I think his attitude to everybody but his teammates has gotten toxic.  Kerr is right; for a league that connects players with fans possibly better than any other pro sport, Russ’s hostile attitude is a blemish.

Having said that, I think Westbrook has become something of a scapegoat for Presti.  That roster is a joke.  PG and Jerami Grant are their only above average shooters, and Grant had to significantly outperform his career 3P% to do that - jury’s out on whether that is sustainable.  Most of their players have no ability to create offense. 

When you put together a group like that, I feel like you’re implicitly condoning Westbrook’s stupid shot selection.  So if RW gets slammed for this, Presti should get it right along with him.

« Reply #789 on: April 24, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I’ve never been a fan of Westbrook’s game, and I think his attitude to everybody but his teammates has gotten toxic.  Kerr is right; for a league that connects players with fans possibly better than any other pro sport, Russ’s hostile attitude is a blemish.

Having said that, I think Westbrook has become something of a scapegoat for Presti.  That roster is a joke.  PG and Jerami Grant are their only above average shooters, and Grant had to significantly outperform his career 3P% to do that - jury’s out on whether that is sustainable.  Most of their players have no ability to create offense. 

When you put together a group like that, I feel like you’re implicitly condoning Westbrook’s stupid shot selection.  So if RW gets slammed for this, Presti should get it right along with him.

I would add Steven Adams as a valuable player for them.

« Reply #790 on: April 24, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Paul George might want to reconsider living in OKC and playing for them.

Paul George said after the game in the post-game interview that it was a "bad shot" Lillard took.

Maybe that's true, but how can you say that with Westbrook sitting next to you  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #791 on: April 24, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

For the selfish?
For the unskilled?
For the undisciplined?

I don't consider it a historic travesty because the MVP award has never been exclusively about who is the best player or who helps their team win the most. It's always been about a narrative on the season. If it wasn't, we'd have only like 4 MVP winners for every 20 seasons.
Then they should have named it
TBNWCTO
The best narative we could think of.

I don't think that we would have 4 in 20. We just have to value basketball things not unreleated ones. Like human fascination with decimal system and round numbers.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #792 on: April 24, 2019, 11:45:43 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

I would add Steven Adams as a valuable player for them.

Agreed but he’s not a shooter or a creator, which is what I’m getting at.  Westbrook and PG are the only guys who can create shots.  And Shroeder, I guess, but he’s probably even worse than Westbrook.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:51:18 AM by Atzar »

« Reply #793 on: April 24, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Agreed. Westbrook got a pass the year after Durant left. But Presti hasn't really forced Westbrook to look around at better options. The best he did was replicate the two-man team by bringing in PG. Westbrook gets most of the blame, but I haven't liked the overall talent or construction of that team dating back to before Durant left. And I've never liked their coaches either. It's probably too late for Westbrook to change now, but I do wonder if they got rid of Brooks sooner, if maybe another coach could've gotten him to buy into better habits. Maybe could have even prevented Durant leaving, who knows?

« Reply #794 on: April 24, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith